cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ocular
Contributor
Contributor

Automating Everything/Script-based report generation

I am relatively new to QlikSense and NPrinting. I am currently looking for a way to fully automate report generation, based on using scripts (preferably batch, python or apache airflow). 

The target is to generate word documents containing standard text, labelled graphics and labelled tables. These objects will either live in their own data base or be generated via QlikSense. The issue is that the structure of the word documents will likely change (i.e. today I need 5 tables in section 1.2 but tomorrow 7 etc.). The extent of the changes is also different with each adjustment (otherwise I would just create a number of different templates and run with it). Hence I'm wondering if there is a way of starting out with a single word template which I can then modify using scripts. I do not want to do anything by hand/drag and drop.

Looking forward to your suggestions!

Labels (2)
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Lech_Miszkiewicz
Partner Ambassador/MVP
Partner Ambassador/MVP

No there is no way. 
this is not how NPrinting works. Sorry

cheers Lech, When applicable please mark the correct/appropriate replies as "solution" (you can mark up to 3 "solutions". Please LIKE threads if the provided solution is helpful to the problem.

View solution in original post

3 Replies
Lech_Miszkiewicz
Partner Ambassador/MVP
Partner Ambassador/MVP

No there is no way. 
this is not how NPrinting works. Sorry

cheers Lech, When applicable please mark the correct/appropriate replies as "solution" (you can mark up to 3 "solutions". Please LIKE threads if the provided solution is helpful to the problem.
ocular
Contributor
Contributor
Author

Thank you for the reply. Is there anything else in the Qlik universe I could try?

Lech_Miszkiewicz
Partner Ambassador/MVP
Partner Ambassador/MVP

No there is nothing else in Qlik ecosystem you could try I think.

It is actually hard to understand and properly answer your question. My first answer is still right and answers your question as this is not how the NPrinting works. For NPrinting to work we need QlikView or Qlik Sense as data source (objects cannot live in "some" database). Then you need a template, and template is built using drag & drop methodology... Those are basics and we are not changing them. What we can change is what are those objects, how they are built in QlikView or Qlik Sense, how they are passed to NPrinting, how is your template built, which template we use and finally how we choose and trigger report.

but regardless of the tool

1. If you want a report you will have to build some sort of template and whether or not you do this using drag n drop or some programming language does not make much of the difference
  2. you will have to know your various different scenarios to accommodate for those template changes you mentioned, so you will need to know how/when those apply. Hence you will know business rules which template is used and when. I don't see a reason why you cannot just have different variations of the same report prepared in NPrinting. It is still the same - isn't it?
  3. If you know various scenarios and are able to build required templates for them, then choosing which template should be run using NPrinting on particular occasion can be automated and does not require any of the programming languages you mentioned. It would only require knowledge of Qlik load script in which you can easily leverage RESTFull API to NPrinting endpoints to generate right report on schedule.

Once again I don't think this is a question to community. Instead you need really good NPrinting developer who would spend with you 1 day and walk you through possible/not possible scenarios.  You could show and explain how different those reports will be and how they need to work. NPrinting expert should be able to tell you then what options you have. Make sure you speak to really good NPrinting developer (not just a first Qlik partner from the list). The reason I am saying this is that there is a lot people who are great Qlik developers but they have only done basic NPrinting development and only brushed the surface with the tool, They will not be able to tell you exactly what is possible and what is not, instead they will come back here to community and ask all of us the same question again.

Another comment is that I I would not weight tool choice on community opinion. I would do Proof of Concept project to see if the solution would work.

One more comment: Why is .doc your final output? Why it cannot be pdf?

I am asking as when using doc you are only limited to  MsWord limited capabilities when used with Qlik and NPrinting, but if it could be PDF the story changes. You could use then PixelPerrfect template which would give you a lot more control over the report layout, quality, sections created etc...

hope this puts more light on it