cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
covenant_bi
Creator
Creator

Best Practice for Notifying Users of No Data in reports

Hi all, we are trying to come up with a low maintenance way to let our users know that their report did run, but no data was found.  On some reports, we use conditions that prevent the report from generating, and this works well.  However, we have certain groups that want the reassurance that the report truly had no data.  I'd imagine we could do something with variables and If statements that evaluated counts of records.  But before we got into developing something like that, we wanted to see if there were any other ideas out there.  

Labels (2)
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Lech_Miszkiewicz
Partner Ambassador/MVP
Partner Ambassador/MVP

Hi, There is no automated reassurance 🙂

so, yeah - this is just development of report that shows that report cannot be generated or results in empty set.

I think your approach is right and you need to develop custom report.

It also depends on who your users are - they may also have an access to admin console to check for themselves if report run if they doubt it so much, if that possibility is out then roll up sleeves and get started on your custom report.

sorry I could not bring better news for you.

There is one more alternative - you could build a QlikView or Qlik Sense app which could show using API which reports run. 

cheers Lech, When applicable please mark the correct/appropriate replies as "solution" (you can mark up to 3 "solutions". Please LIKE threads if the provided solution is helpful to the problem.

View solution in original post

2 Replies
Lech_Miszkiewicz
Partner Ambassador/MVP
Partner Ambassador/MVP

Hi, There is no automated reassurance 🙂

so, yeah - this is just development of report that shows that report cannot be generated or results in empty set.

I think your approach is right and you need to develop custom report.

It also depends on who your users are - they may also have an access to admin console to check for themselves if report run if they doubt it so much, if that possibility is out then roll up sleeves and get started on your custom report.

sorry I could not bring better news for you.

There is one more alternative - you could build a QlikView or Qlik Sense app which could show using API which reports run. 

cheers Lech, When applicable please mark the correct/appropriate replies as "solution" (you can mark up to 3 "solutions". Please LIKE threads if the provided solution is helpful to the problem.
covenant_bi
Creator
Creator
Author

Lech,

Thanks for the information, we thought that may be the case.  We may look into the API or just get them to trust that no data is ok.  As  a somewhat hacky approach, we may just inline load a dummy row that would always qualify for the report and let them know to ignore that.  It's not pretty, but it should work as well.