cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous
Not applicable

Cache Generation Failed On Specific Model

Hey All,

We are on the latest version of NPrinting (April Release) and I have successfully migrated around 5 projects to the new platform. I started a new migration today and have been having some huge headaches with cache generation.

I started the normal process this morning, creating an app, creating a connection, testing and generating the metadata. This is where things went sour and the Cache Generation failed on this new connection, strangely all other models cache generation is still working so Im really unsure where to begin. Hopefully someone can assist please.  Below images are all related to the cache generation of the model that is failing.

2.PNG

2.PNG

3.PNG

Iv also tried opening the model just to make sure and all is fine on that end of things. Really stuck with ideas on what to attempt since every other model on my connection list is generating without hiccup.

I do have the log file but its pretty loaded with nothing obvious.

43 Replies
Anonymous
Not applicable
Author

Hey Ruggero,

What do you mean by zero window?

I opened the model on Qlikview on the server and did a rescan of the cache and Qlikview stayed open at all times till the cache generation task failed.

Anonymous
Not applicable
Author

Hey rpc‌ any further updates on what you meant?

Lech_Miszkiewicz
Partner Ambassador/MVP
Partner Ambassador/MVP

Hi Justin - lookup in Google session 0 in windows...

https://kb.firedaemon.com/support/solutions/articles/4000106823-manually-enabling-interactive-servic...

cheers

LEch

cheers Lech, When applicable please mark the correct/appropriate replies as "solution" (you can mark up to 3 "solutions". Please LIKE threads if the provided solution is helpful to the problem.
Ruggero_Piccoli
Support
Support

Ok. I asked you to monitor the Windows Session 0 to check if QlikView crashed during the cache generation.

Try also to generate the cache on the same server with another .qvw. One of the publich QlikView examples will be good. If it works we need to investigate your specific document.

Best Regards,

Ruggero

---------------------------------------------

When applicable please mark the appropriate replies as CORRECT https://community.qlik.com/docs/DOC-14806. This will help community members and Qlik Employees know which discussions have already been addressed and have a possible known solution. Please mark threads as HELPFUL if the provided solution is helpful to the problem, but does not necessarily solve the indicated problem. You can mark multiple threads as HELPFUL if you feel additional info is useful to others.

Best Regards,
Ruggero
---------------------------------------------
When applicable please mark the appropriate replies as CORRECT. This will help community members and Qlik Employees know which discussions have already been addressed and have a possible known solution. Please mark threads with a LIKE if the provided solution is helpful to the problem, but does not necessarily solve the indicated problem. You can mark multiple threads with LIKEs if you feel additional info is useful to others.
Anonymous
Not applicable
Author

Hey Ruggero,

I understand I was just unsure what session 0 was but Lech pointed me in the right direction. Ill be following that link later today and give some feedback shortly along with your suggestions Ruggero.

Thanks for the help thus far guys. Will report back soonest.

Anonymous
Not applicable
Author

Hey lech_miszkiewicz and rpc,

Could anyone explain what impact 0 session has on reloading the model to generate cache? Iv enabled 0 session and executed it to monitor Qlikview. It seems very unstable and I get constant prompts to view the application running in the background and it often kills my RDP session that I have open to the server.

After I RDP'd back into our NPrinting box the model had successfully reloaded once, however I was unable to replicate it as it kept asking for a popup window to view the application running. Even when the model is sitting on a file share or locally the same behavior persists.Iv disabled session 0 again and the model fail its cache generation as per previous reports.

Unfortunately It seems like I cannot run Session 0 without user interaction so its just now narrowing down on this issue as to why it needs session 0 to generate its cache.

Additionally, thank you for the guidance there, now its just to find out answers as to why this was the case, apologies it took long to respond I was completing other tasks.

Lech_Miszkiewicz
Partner Ambassador/MVP
Partner Ambassador/MVP

Well..

Session 0 does not make your RDP session unstable - this is first thing.

I am suspecting your NPrinitng box was running out of resources and this is why you were getting "kicked out" of it. It also means that possibly you have an issue because your hardware is not sufficient to reload app.

On the other hand i thought you were using QVP connection - in such case your NPrinitng box should not run out of the memory.

Session 0 can prompt you multiple times to "View it" so it is a normal behaviour

regards

Lech

cheers Lech, When applicable please mark the correct/appropriate replies as "solution" (you can mark up to 3 "solutions". Please LIKE threads if the provided solution is helpful to the problem.
Anonymous
Not applicable
Author

Hey lech_miszkiewicz

100% agree to that, the RDP was just however stable when not running session 0 so it was just strange. Your explanation makes sense regarding resources topping out.

I wasnt using the QVP connection method however I have just set that up now to give it a bash with all the access and that, and the model is currently generating cache. Ill report back on any failures if this doesnt work with a new set of logs that may reveal some additional information.

Thank you again guys for hand holding me through this process. This model's cache generation has been such a headache. Baby steps.

Anonymous
Not applicable
Author

Yes! It worked using a QVP connection instead of file share connection!

Wow what a journey with that, thank you so much lech_miszkiewicz‌ and rpc‌ for the help on this issue. I really appreciate it. Learnt some cool new things with the Session 0 technique too and didn't even know that every existed.

Thanks again guys. lech_miszkiewicz Im going to mark your answer as the correct one as your reply lead me to try the QVP method.

Lech_Miszkiewicz
Partner Ambassador/MVP
Partner Ambassador/MVP

Well - this is a great news.

Keep in mind that using Local connection will always consume resources on NPrinting server. In theory you should provide a hardware to allow open on this box as many parallel instance of QlikView desktop with the biggest application you use as many CPU cores you have.

So if your server struggles with single instance of QLikView open, then multiple session killed it.

and.... this is why i ALWAYS go for QVP connection as all havy lifting happens on QlikView server and resource consumption is controlled by QlikView server service!

cheers

Lech