Defect acknowledgement with Nprinting Engine May 2022 SR2, please READ HERE
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
dadumas
Creator II
Creator II

Can an Nprinting report be sourced directly from an app's data elements or always needs pre-existing objects built first?

I have a task to create a report (simple excel table is fine), but the Qlik Sense app does not have an existing chart object (table, chart, etc) to use as the source for the excel table.  A colleague suggested that Nprinting does not need a pre-existing object from the app, and that you can create an nPrinting excel table sourced directly from data elements (columns in the data model) within the Qlik Sense app.

I have never heard of that.  Is that possible?

Thanks,

Dave

Labels (2)
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Lech_Miszkiewicz
Partner Ambassador/MVP
Partner Ambassador/MVP

Is that possible - Yes in theory, you can build solution using just fields as levels/dimensions and NPrinting formulas as measures. So technically it can be done...BUT

• Such solution will perform very badly
  • Maintanance of such solution will be terrible
  • In rare scenarios you may not be able to calculate your measures properly - if measure requires inter-records calculations (like ABOVE)
  • You have very limited control over outcome
    • cannot suppres 0 or Null values etc...

Bottom line is I would never-ever suggest to someone to use this method. It would be against any good practice I have ever belived in. 

You can come back to your collegue and say yes it is possible  and tell that he should do it and maintain it 🙂

If I were you I would never agree to such approach.

cheers Lech, When applicable please mark the correct/appropriate replies as "solution" (you can mark up to 3 "solutions". Please LIKE threads if the provided solution is helpful to the problem.

View solution in original post

2 Replies
Lech_Miszkiewicz
Partner Ambassador/MVP
Partner Ambassador/MVP

Is that possible - Yes in theory, you can build solution using just fields as levels/dimensions and NPrinting formulas as measures. So technically it can be done...BUT

• Such solution will perform very badly
  • Maintanance of such solution will be terrible
  • In rare scenarios you may not be able to calculate your measures properly - if measure requires inter-records calculations (like ABOVE)
  • You have very limited control over outcome
    • cannot suppres 0 or Null values etc...

Bottom line is I would never-ever suggest to someone to use this method. It would be against any good practice I have ever belived in. 

You can come back to your collegue and say yes it is possible  and tell that he should do it and maintain it 🙂

If I were you I would never agree to such approach.

cheers Lech, When applicable please mark the correct/appropriate replies as "solution" (you can mark up to 3 "solutions". Please LIKE threads if the provided solution is helpful to the problem.
dadumas
Creator II
Creator II
Author

Perfect, thanks.  I will add the charts first to the app, and then let nPrinting consume them, as it was intended.

Dave