cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Troy1
Contributor III
Contributor III

Cannot save report output to UNC path.

I am trying to run a report job that outputs .txt file to UNC path.

\\Servername\folder\

I get below error trying to do this:

Error trying to save report in folder "\\Servername\folder\". ERROR: The system cannot contact a domain controller to service the authentication request. Please try again later.

I logged into NPrinting server via service account and able to reach the path, which means NPrinting service account has all necessary permission to that folder. 

What am i missing, how can i make it work. 

Labels (2)
4 Replies
Frank_S
Support
Support

It is possible the network path works if you have an open connection to that path ie: if you are in two separate domains and you made a connection attempt to that folder, get asked for a domain user ID and  password, click OK and the network path opens. 

This will not happen in the background service automatically.

So if your NP service account and your NP server are not in the same domain as the network path, then you would need to:

1. ensure you are using a domain NP service account

2. ensure the NP server and the networked computer where your network folder is located are in the same domain

If everything is in the same domain, have your network admin check to ensure that you are able to reach the domain and domain controller that the NPrinting server is a member of. You can check the windows event logs on the NP server (system, security and application logs) for domain auth issues.

Hope this helps.

Please remember hit the 'Like' button and for helpful answers and resolutions, click on the 'Accept As Solution' button. Cheers!
Troy1
Contributor III
Contributor III
Author

Hi Frank 

Thanks for reply. So this was not an issue in version 16 it worked fine. We are using same service account that we used in version 16, domain and UNC path has not changed. However in June 2020 version it is failing. Our situation involves point #2 that you mentioned. 

2. ensure the NP server and the networked computer where your network folder is located are in the same domain

We are using domain np service account. 

NP server is in one domain:  example   NPservername.abc.com

UNC path is in sub domain:     example   yyz.abc.com

what is the work around, we cannot possible change servers where this file share exist. Subdomain should work? 

Frank_S
Support
Support

Glad to assist!

Try to log on as the NPrinting service account to the NPrinting server computer and then navigate to the network shared folder. If you are prompted by a request to enter credentials, then this would confirm that the separate domains do not have a unified security context inside your MS Active Directory Forest.

If the two domains are separate, then the NP service account will not be able to access the other domain since it will not be able to insert credentials in the background service where it is performing background service related tasks.

To  ensure pass through authentication to network resources the NP server and network resource should ideally be in the same domain....otherwise you may get prompted for user ID and password.

Here is our help page about this topic.

https://help.qlik.com/en-US/nprinting/June2020/Content/NPrinting/DeployingQVNprinting/Supported-unsu...

You may need to speak to your Network team to enable an solution internal to your organization so that the NPrinting service account does not need to authenticate in the background service.

Kind regards...

Please remember hit the 'Like' button and for helpful answers and resolutions, click on the 'Accept As Solution' button. Cheers!
elifapa
Contributor III
Contributor III

Hello @Troy1, we are having the same issue. Did you manage to solve this problem?