cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Sahal
Creator II
Creator II

Connect to Qlik Nprinting repository with QlikView

Hi, I'm trying to find a step by step guide on how to connect to nprinting repository and fetching data into QlikView  (do not want a guide on Qlik Sense).

I have looked at https://support.qlik.com/articles/000026032 however i can't find pgAdmin3.exe (do i need to download it from somewhere?)

A step by step guide using QlikView would be great.

Labels (2)
2 Solutions

Accepted Solutions
Lech_Miszkiewicz
Partner Ambassador/MVP
Partner Ambassador/MVP

I agree with @Ruggero_Piccoli  that this is something you should avoid doing.

If you insist to do that anyway you should have at least basic understanding how to connect to PostgreSQL database. Therefore I am not giving away details and step by step instructions as this is something only people with confidence and knowledge should do. 

Below are high level steps. 

As soon as you connect to DB you are on your own, so make sure you have db backup (usually it is done via pg_dump), with NPrinting there are detailed steps described on help.qlik.com how to take a backup of NPrinting repository.

good luck.

cheers Lech, When applicable please mark the correct/appropriate replies as "solution" (you can mark up to 3 "solutions". Please LIKE threads if the provided solution is helpful to the problem.

View solution in original post

Lech_Miszkiewicz
Partner Ambassador/MVP
Partner Ambassador/MVP

I have given up this project due to lack of time and constant development of NPrinting which requires changes to Repository DB structure, hence it would require me to keep updating my app.

My goal was to actually allow to filter which QlikView/Qlik Sense objects were used in reports so I could easily manage them in Qlik apps. This would require me to extract JSON arrays recorded in postgres which due to many levels of nested arrays made the whole thing hard. 

If you dont need this level of detail then the actual repository db is very straight forward. Depending what information you need from it, the level of integration between reports, task, users etc...  you should be able easily build a working model. Few days ago there was a question regarding which users are recieving which reports. I put up some load script quickly which you can see here:

https://community.qlik.com/t5/Qlik-NPrinting-Discussions/Overview-Users-per-task-in-NPrinting/td-p/1...

cheers

Lech

cheers Lech, When applicable please mark the correct/appropriate replies as "solution" (you can mark up to 3 "solutions". Please LIKE threads if the provided solution is helpful to the problem.

View solution in original post

13 Replies
woutermak
Partner - Creator III
Partner - Creator III

Hi,

You can download it here:

https://www.pgadmin.org/download/

Sahal
Creator II
Creator II
Author

Thank you, do you also have the step by step guide?

Should i install/open the driver on the server that has QlikView Server services or in Qlik Nprinting server (that has all the services?) more information would be great.

woutermak
Partner - Creator III
Partner - Creator III

Hi,

You only have to install it on the nprinting server to connect to the progrest database of nprinting.

https://support.qlik.com/articles/000042413

Ruggero_Piccoli
Support
Support

Hi,

We strongly suggest to avoid to connect to the PostgreSQL Repository. If you damage it your Qlik NPrinting installation could not work any more.

As conseguence there is not an official guide about how to connect.

Best Regards,

Ruggero

Best Regards,
Ruggero
---------------------------------------------
When applicable please mark the appropriate replies as CORRECT. This will help community members and Qlik Employees know which discussions have already been addressed and have a possible known solution. Please mark threads with a LIKE if the provided solution is helpful to the problem, but does not necessarily solve the indicated problem. You can mark multiple threads with LIKEs if you feel additional info is useful to others.
Sahal
Creator II
Creator II
Author

Yes we understand that we are connecting to the repository on "our own risk", however due to the lack of easy access to metadata (e.g. like QVPR database in QlikVew) the only way we are able to get this data is by asking for help if anyone else has done it.

I would believe that this question has come up before (even if it's for Qlik Sense) and why QlikTech has not made it easier for us to get this data is beyond me?

So if you buy any chance have access to information on how to do this we are willing to take the chance.

Sahal
Creator II
Creator II
Author

Thank you, however as stated we want to know how to connect to QlikView and not sense.

Lech_Miszkiewicz
Partner Ambassador/MVP
Partner Ambassador/MVP

I agree with @Ruggero_Piccoli  that this is something you should avoid doing.

If you insist to do that anyway you should have at least basic understanding how to connect to PostgreSQL database. Therefore I am not giving away details and step by step instructions as this is something only people with confidence and knowledge should do. 

Below are high level steps. 

As soon as you connect to DB you are on your own, so make sure you have db backup (usually it is done via pg_dump), with NPrinting there are detailed steps described on help.qlik.com how to take a backup of NPrinting repository.

good luck.

Ruggero_Piccoli
Support
Support

Hi,

The parameters of your Qlik NPrinting Repository are the ones you set during the Qlik NPrinting Server installation. Connecting to it is like to connect QlikView to any other installation of a database server.

Instead if you want to use PostgreSQL administration tool you have to refer to its documentation.

Best Regards,

Ruggero

Best Regards,
Ruggero
---------------------------------------------
When applicable please mark the appropriate replies as CORRECT. This will help community members and Qlik Employees know which discussions have already been addressed and have a possible known solution. Please mark threads with a LIKE if the provided solution is helpful to the problem, but does not necessarily solve the indicated problem. You can mark multiple threads with LIKEs if you feel additional info is useful to others.
Lech_Miszkiewicz
Partner Ambassador/MVP
Partner Ambassador/MVP

just to clarify:

Connection parameters are the same for QlikView and for Qlik Sense.

The only difference is that Qlik Sense has built in PostgreSQL odbc connector and for QlikView you need to install it manually.

From there steps are the same.