Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
renuka_sasikumar
Creator III
Creator III

Connection doesn't close - NPrinting June 2018

Hi,

Currently I am using NPrinting June 2018 and QlikView November 2017.

I have created some Task in NPrinting, when the reports get distributed & then the second task starts, the first connection doesn't get close automatically due to which the Server Memory is been utilized and remains open until I manually doesn't close it. (Major problem during Weekends, all connections remain opens & server gets hanged due to high utilization)

Like in NPrinting 16 we had an option of Close Connection when task ends, do we have such thing in the latest version.

Regards,

Renuka S

2 Solutions

Accepted Solutions
Lech_Miszkiewicz
Partner Ambassador/MVP
Partner Ambassador/MVP

There must be something buggy there

I don't know what else i can suggest, you might want to talk to Qlik support or have Qlik consultant looking at it in house or via conf.call

I am running out of options and advices.

Again - having QVP connection would not hurt, even if connection would be left alive, since the workload would be sitting on Qlik server....

cheers Lech, When applicable please mark the correct/appropriate replies as "solution" (you can mark up to 3 "solutions". Please LIKE threads if the provided solution is helpful to the problem.

View solution in original post

renuka_sasikumar
Creator III
Creator III
Author

Hi,

I got the solution for it. Thanks to QlikTech Support team & everyone for trying to help me.

https://qliksupport.force.com/QS_CaseWizardKnowledgeArticle?Id=ka5D0000000TO7vIAG

Regards,

Renuka Sasikumar

View solution in original post

24 Replies
renuka_sasikumar
Creator III
Creator III
Author

Hi lech_miszkiewicz‌,

Can you help me on this.

Regards,

Renuka S

Lech_Miszkiewicz
Partner Ambassador/MVP
Partner Ambassador/MVP

do you use QVP connection (server) or Local?

I highly recommend using QVP connection - just to avoid issues like this!

On the other hand inactive connections should close automatically (it is default setting and there is nothing you need to do)!

regards

Lech

cheers Lech, When applicable please mark the correct/appropriate replies as "solution" (you can mark up to 3 "solutions". Please LIKE threads if the provided solution is helpful to the problem.
renuka_sasikumar
Creator III
Creator III
Author

Thank You for your prompt reply.

I am using Local connection (Mapped drive using below address)

\\xxxxxx\qlikview_apps\NPrint\QlikviewApp\xxx.qvw

Can you help me with the default setting, where I have to look for it.

Regards,

Renuka S

Lech_Miszkiewicz
Partner Ambassador/MVP
Partner Ambassador/MVP

That is what i thought. Local connections will always drain hardware resources as there is no control over it. I have mentioned it so many times already and i keep saying that QVP is the way to go.

regarding default setting:

you don't need to look for it. It meant to close connections automatically after job is finished. There is nothing we can configure - as nprinitng handles this automaticly.

renuka_sasikumar
Creator III
Creator III
Author

The connection doesn't close automatically. It remains open when I see it on the next day.

cwolf
Creator III
Creator III

Hi,

For me, the use of qvp connections is not an option as they generate a high load on the QlikView servers that I do not want to have.

Therefore, I also use local connections.

To solve the problem with the hanging processes, I use a little powershell script (see attachment).

The script first stops the "Qlik NPrinting Engine" service (because it holds the connections). Kills all Qv.exe processes for the NPrinting service user (in my case domain\qlikvnpr) and start the engin service again.

The script requires administrative rights to execute and can be scheduled through the windows task scheduler at a time where no NPrinting tasks are scheduled.

But it is also not a problem if the script is executed when nprinting tasks are running. The NPrinting task scheduler automatically restarts the NPrinting tasks when the engine is online again.

Lech_Miszkiewicz
Partner Ambassador/MVP
Partner Ambassador/MVP

Hi Christian,

that requires you to have quite a lot of "hardware" on your NPrinting server.

If you did not want ot use QVP you could always setup a Claster to loadbalance  resources and still use qlk server benefits (managing hardware via qvs, data caching, warm starts etc...)

regards

Lech

pradosh_thakur
Master II
Master II

Hi christian,

As Lech already mentioned qvp is the way to go.

May be you could use taskkill qv.exe in a batch file to kill if any unwanted connection are open instead of stopping the engine. Sometimes when connection gets stuck and qvw can't be used for any other processes in qmc, i use this.

Learning never stops.
Lech_Miszkiewicz
Partner Ambassador/MVP
Partner Ambassador/MVP

Hi Pradosh,

TRUE, QVP or CALSTER connections are my suggestion, and they solve a lot of performance issues around memory leaks and hardware management. The drawback however is report execution speed.

In NPrinitng 16 this was "flying", however in NPrinitng 17 it can be slow - which frustrates me a lot and i have been very vocal about it. Still - in my deployments i am using QVP;s

Christians solution is not bad - the reason i don't use it is that is not Qlik supported and as a partner providing solution to clients i cannot support it!

cheers

Lech