cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
mjht
Creator
Creator

Correct usage of evaluate filter in NPrinting with Qlik Sense

When defining a filter and using the option "evaluate value" - does the value entered need to start with an equal sign?

I have devs using this option and some do not precede the value with an equal sign and it seems to work.  Is the sign implied ?

here is an example - they use the function with no equal sign

mjht_0-1622219459752.png

Here is how the field is defined in their data model

mjht_1-1622219590117.png

I did read the documentation on filters https://help.qlik.com/en-US/nprinting/June2020/Content/NPrinting/ReportsDevelopment/Static-dynamic-f... 

it says this under Filter Evaluation

1. Calculate the expressions for each field with evaluated values.

and this under Rules for filters

• Evaluated values are calculated first, in order to have static values to manage.

Neither of these say whether an equal sign is required or not.  When I think of expression, I think of an equal sign followed by a formula.  My developer is using a function and not preceding it with a equal sign.  I can see it is pulling the correct year.  

In another example,  developer creates a filter for a  field in his data model TCR.TCR Report Date which in the data model is tagged $numeric $integer $timestamp $date - in data model preview shows 1/26/2021

he  selects "evaluate value" and enters the name of a variable he has defined in the front end of his app --

Defined the filter for TCR.TCR Report Date

mjht_2-1622222293564.png

here are the definitions of the variables in his qlik sense app

mjht_3-1622222347182.png

I am looking for some clarification on the  syntax for using "evaluate value" when defining a filter.

Thank you.

Labels (2)
3 Solutions

Accepted Solutions
Frank_S
Support
Support

@mjht 

I too have not see an difference however I have not performed recent tests in recent versions.

However, I think the one area you do need to be careful with is when evaluating variables if/when used with your NP filter.

There are important considerations with and without an '='

Please check the following for details.:

https://help.qlik.com/en-US/nprinting/May2021/Content/NPrinting/Troubleshooting/Variables-dont-expan...

Other's here may wish to contribute as well.

Kind regards...

Please remember hit the 'Like' button and for helpful answers and resolutions, click on the 'Accept As Solution' button. Cheers!

View solution in original post

Ruggero_Piccoli
Support
Support

Hi,

Cloud this help https://community.qlik.com/t5/Qlik-NPrinting-Discussions/QlikSense-Evaluate-Value/td-p/1352428?

In general, when working with formulas I also suggest to test them in Qlik Sense and copy in Qlik NPrinting only when they are ready.

@Lech_Miszkiewicz would you add something?

Best Regards,

Ruggero

Best Regards,
Ruggero
---------------------------------------------
When applicable please mark the appropriate replies as CORRECT. This will help community members and Qlik Employees know which discussions have already been addressed and have a possible known solution. Please mark threads with a LIKE if the provided solution is helpful to the problem, but does not necessarily solve the indicated problem. You can mark multiple threads with LIKEs if you feel additional info is useful to others.

mjht
Creator
Creator
Author

@Ruggero_Piccoli  that is exactly what I suggest also - test them out in your qlik sense app first to make sure they are working.  And the article you supplied the link for explains perfectly what to look for in the data model and the importance of how the fields are tagged.

unfortunately it still leaves the bit of gray area which @Lech_Miszkiewicz  says he will blog about 😁

• evaluate ( this can be used for both but you may need to prefix numeric fields with either numeric or text formatting in formula)

4 Replies
Frank_S
Support
Support

@mjht 

I too have not see an difference however I have not performed recent tests in recent versions.

However, I think the one area you do need to be careful with is when evaluating variables if/when used with your NP filter.

There are important considerations with and without an '='

Please check the following for details.:

https://help.qlik.com/en-US/nprinting/May2021/Content/NPrinting/Troubleshooting/Variables-dont-expan...

Other's here may wish to contribute as well.

Kind regards...

Please remember hit the 'Like' button and for helpful answers and resolutions, click on the 'Accept As Solution' button. Cheers!
Ruggero_Piccoli
Support
Support

Hi,

Cloud this help https://community.qlik.com/t5/Qlik-NPrinting-Discussions/QlikSense-Evaluate-Value/td-p/1352428?

In general, when working with formulas I also suggest to test them in Qlik Sense and copy in Qlik NPrinting only when they are ready.

@Lech_Miszkiewicz would you add something?

Best Regards,

Ruggero

Best Regards,
Ruggero
---------------------------------------------
When applicable please mark the appropriate replies as CORRECT. This will help community members and Qlik Employees know which discussions have already been addressed and have a possible known solution. Please mark threads with a LIKE if the provided solution is helpful to the problem, but does not necessarily solve the indicated problem. You can mark multiple threads with LIKEs if you feel additional info is useful to others.
Lech_Miszkiewicz
Partner Ambassador/MVP
Partner Ambassador/MVP

Hi guys,

In scenarios like this i typically create test scenarios and check what works/what doesn't etc. 

I rarely use evaluate value option so I dont have anything to add at the moment, but I think this will be mine next blog post as I cann see it usefull and clarification would definitelly help. I gues biggest challenge will be to understand how variables are evaluated and what syntax should be used when using variables.

cheers

cheers Lech, When applicable please mark the correct/appropriate replies as "solution" (you can mark up to 3 "solutions". Please LIKE threads if the provided solution is helpful to the problem.
mjht
Creator
Creator
Author

@Ruggero_Piccoli  that is exactly what I suggest also - test them out in your qlik sense app first to make sure they are working.  And the article you supplied the link for explains perfectly what to look for in the data model and the importance of how the fields are tagged.

unfortunately it still leaves the bit of gray area which @Lech_Miszkiewicz  says he will blog about 😁

• evaluate ( this can be used for both but you may need to prefix numeric fields with either numeric or text formatting in formula)