Did you mean: 
NW1965
Creator
Creator

Creating a cycle report

Hi Folks

NPrinting Version April 2018

Using QlikView version 11.2

So.... I have a report that has two connections, both of those connections (QVW Documents) have a field called REGION.  The report sources data from both of those connections.

Now I want to cycle the report over region, meaning that I want a copy of the report for each region in my database.

How do I go about doing that when the cycle option asks me for the field from a specific connection?

Thanks in advance for any help.

3 Replies
Ruggero_Piccoli
Support
Support

Hi,

At the moment (April 2019 so also with your April 2018) the only solution you have is to merge the two QVWs into a single one.

If you cycle by the REGION field only the data from the same connection will be filtered by region in the produced reports. The reason is that Linked Fields are supported by QlikView NPrinting 16 but they are still a gap feature in Qlik NPrinting 17+.

Best Regards,

Ruggero

Best Regards,
Ruggero
---------------------------------------------
When applicable please mark the appropriate replies as CORRECT. This will help community members and Qlik Employees know which discussions have already been addressed and have a possible known solution. Please mark threads with a LIKE if the provided solution is helpful to the problem, but does not necessarily solve the indicated problem. You can mark multiple threads with LIKEs if you feel additional info is useful to others.
NW1965
Creator
Creator
Author

Wow.

The description I used was just to simplify the explanation, the reality is that I have a report covering 12 connections, it is a senior exec opco report and has metrics from every dashboard.

As i'm sure you can understand, combining 12 dashboards into one simply won't work, in fact I'd argue that this would break Qlik's fair license usage policy of a single document only addressing one data model.

This is a massive gap in functionality.

If we set up filters, would that work?  So could I apply a filter to region on connection 1 AND connection 2 and would NPrinting have the common sense to apply that filter only where those connections are in play? What i mean is, would it try to apply filter 1 to connection 2 and vice-versa.

This is very limiting.

Ruggero_Piccoli
Support
Support

Hi,

Gap features between QlikView NPrinting 16 and Qlik NPrinting 17+ are documented in the first page of the help site https://help.qlik.com/en-US/nprinting/April2019/Content/NPrinting/Introduction/Introduction.htm. We are working hard to cover those gaps and we already cover many of them but not all.

So you cannot create cycles in the meaning of https://help.qlik.com/en-US/nprinting/April2019/Content/NPrinting/ReportsDevelopment/Cycling-your-re...in your multi connection scanrio.

Filters https://help.qlik.com/en-US/nprinting/April2019/Content/NPrinting/ReportsDevelopment/Static-dynamic-... can be multi-connections.  So you can create a filter for each region to keep the same region value from all your different connections.

Same year 2014 from multiple connections.png

Than you could:

1 - Create a different user for each region with the destination folder or subfolder. Associate the related region filter to each user and create a publish task that deliver the report to user folders. Remember to add the correct security role to each user. This method has the advantage that you don't need to create multiple copies of the report template

2 - Create the multi-connection filters as in point 1. Clore the report by exporting and importing into a new one. Apply a filter to each clone and add all templated to the publish task. You can enable the dynamic naming to use a variable or to manually insert a different name for each generated file.

I hope this helps.

Best Regards,

Ruggero

Best Regards,
Ruggero
---------------------------------------------
When applicable please mark the appropriate replies as CORRECT. This will help community members and Qlik Employees know which discussions have already been addressed and have a possible known solution. Please mark threads with a LIKE if the provided solution is helpful to the problem, but does not necessarily solve the indicated problem. You can mark multiple threads with LIKEs if you feel additional info is useful to others.