Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
lwestmaas
Contributor III
Contributor III

Cycles with Multiple Connections

Hello,

We are having an issue with an NPrinting application that needs to refer to an ID number that exists in multiple Qlik Sense applications connected to the NPrinting application.

Examples:

• Terminology:
    • Qlik Apps: Qlik App A, Qlik App B
    • Connections: Connection A, Connection B
    • Units: Building 1, Building 2 identified by [Building Number]
  • Example 1
    • Setup: Cycle through [Building Number] in Connection A, no cycle in Connection B
    • Result: Two reports, one for each [Building Number].
      • Report 1: Building 1 data from Qlik App A, but data from Qlik App B reflects the entire model with no filters
      • Report 2: Building 2 data from Qlik App A, but data from Qlik App B reflects the entire model with no filters
  • Example 2:
    • Setup: Cycle through [Building Number] in both Connection A and Connection B
    • Result: Four reports.
      • Report 1: Building 1 data from both App A and App B (good)
      • Report 2: Building 1 data from App A, Building 2 data from App B (bad)
      • Report 3: Building 2 data from App A, Building 1 data from App B (bad)
      • Report 4: Building 2 data from both App A and App B (good)

Obviously what we want is for only one Building's data to be present in any given report.

So far the best solution we've come up with is to create the reports separately and combine them with python after the fact. (There are too many to do manually.) 

Is there a way to force Connection B to respect the [Building Number] being cycled through in Connection A? Perhaps by building a variable into Qlik App B?

This post from December 2019 indicates this is not possible, but hoping against hope that there has been a change in status since then.

Thank you in advance!

Labels (2)
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Lech_Miszkiewicz
Partner Ambassador/MVP
Partner Ambassador/MVP

Hi,

No, this is not possible. 

You will not be able to use: Cycles, Levels or Pages which use field(s) from 2 different connections in any logical way as there is not "Linked Fields" feature in NPrinting: https://help.qlik.com/en-US/nprinting/May2021/Content/NPrinting/Migrate/Before-you-migrate.htm

Lech_Miszkiewicz_0-1636496549453.png

Unfortunately this very much needed and useful feature will not be developed as idea was declined (due to technical reasons... which i think is weird given that we live in 21 century, but anyway)

https://community.qlik.com/t5/Suggest-an-Idea/Generate-a-Report-from-Qlik-Sense-App-A-Filtered-based...

For now my advice is to create single Qlik Sense app which will support data from both connections.

In regards to your suggestion to use 3rd party tools to merge reports - I can only say that there you can only rely on your own skills and since it is not NPrinting feature I dont want to comment on it. 

cheers Lech, When applicable please mark the correct/appropriate replies as "solution" (you can mark up to 3 "solutions". Please LIKE threads if the provided solution is helpful to the problem.

View solution in original post

5 Replies
Lech_Miszkiewicz
Partner Ambassador/MVP
Partner Ambassador/MVP

Hi,

No, this is not possible. 

You will not be able to use: Cycles, Levels or Pages which use field(s) from 2 different connections in any logical way as there is not "Linked Fields" feature in NPrinting: https://help.qlik.com/en-US/nprinting/May2021/Content/NPrinting/Migrate/Before-you-migrate.htm

Lech_Miszkiewicz_0-1636496549453.png

Unfortunately this very much needed and useful feature will not be developed as idea was declined (due to technical reasons... which i think is weird given that we live in 21 century, but anyway)

https://community.qlik.com/t5/Suggest-an-Idea/Generate-a-Report-from-Qlik-Sense-App-A-Filtered-based...

For now my advice is to create single Qlik Sense app which will support data from both connections.

In regards to your suggestion to use 3rd party tools to merge reports - I can only say that there you can only rely on your own skills and since it is not NPrinting feature I dont want to comment on it. 

cheers Lech, When applicable please mark the correct/appropriate replies as "solution" (you can mark up to 3 "solutions". Please LIKE threads if the provided solution is helpful to the problem.
lwestmaas
Contributor III
Contributor III
Author

Thanks for the response. That's what I feared.

To any Qlik employees reading, this capability is highly desired as without it the ability to use multiple connections in the same NPrinting app is severely limited - without it, the extremely useful cycling function is basically pointless in apps using multiple connections.

Ruggero_Piccoli
Support
Support

Hi,

In the Ideation community there is the official answer about Linked Fields https://community.qlik.com/t5/Suggest-an-Idea/Generate-a-Report-from-Qlik-Sense-App-A-Filtered-based... from the product manager.

Best Regards,

Ruggero

Best Regards,
Ruggero
---------------------------------------------
When applicable please mark the appropriate replies as CORRECT. This will help community members and Qlik Employees know which discussions have already been addressed and have a possible known solution. Please mark threads with a LIKE if the provided solution is helpful to the problem, but does not necessarily solve the indicated problem. You can mark multiple threads with LIKEs if you feel additional info is useful to others.
jonvitale
Creator III
Creator III

The idea that it "can't be done" is such an incredible cop-out. Of course it can be done, if there is will to do it. Well, if anyone asks me to recommend NPrinting, I will say, "I don't think they are putting any effort into the product, so I wouldn't recommend using it."

Ruggero_Piccoli
Support
Support

Hi,

There are technical reasons, explained in the anwer under the idea, why it cannot be implemented. As per @Lech_Miszkiewicz the solution is to create a single app or document with all data. We also suggest to create apps only for reporting so the suggestion is to create an app only for reporting with all data needed.

Best Regards,

Ruggero

Best Regards,
Ruggero
---------------------------------------------
When applicable please mark the appropriate replies as CORRECT. This will help community members and Qlik Employees know which discussions have already been addressed and have a possible known solution. Please mark threads with a LIKE if the provided solution is helpful to the problem, but does not necessarily solve the indicated problem. You can mark multiple threads with LIKEs if you feel additional info is useful to others.