Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
JordyWegman
Partner - Master
Partner - Master

DEV and PRD Environment

Hi,

Because of the size of the NPrinting environment we want to separate DEV and PRD (Development and Production) from each other. The question that arises is, is it possible to switch apps from environment with different QVW files behind them? There are different QVW's because also this file is changed from DEV to PRD. At the time of moving the apps are 100% the same.

I saw in an earlier post a link to this article: Moving reports between environments ‒ Qlik NPrinting that it is possible. But it states that the connections need to be the same. I think that it needs the exact same QVW. Is this true? Or does the app need to be 100% exactly the same?

Kind regards,

Jordy

Work smarter, not harder
4 Replies
Ruggero_Piccoli
Support
Support

Hi,

The connections on the DEV and on the PRD environment must connect .QVWs with all the objects used in the templates.

For example, if you are using CH123 in your report templates it must exists in bot .QVWs. 

It is not necessary to connect to the same QlikView server. For example you can have a DEV server with scrambled data so developers don't see real company data and production server with read data. Then you copy the .QVW from QlikView server DEV to PRD, it will have the same objects (so same IDs) and they will be used by Qlik NPrinting with correct data.

Best Regards,

Ruggero

---------------------------------------------

When applicable please mark the appropriate replies as CORRECT https://community.qlik.com/docs/DOC-14806. This will help community members and Qlik Employees know which discussions have already been addressed and have a possible known solution. Please mark threads as HELPFUL if the provided solution is helpful to the problem, but does not necessarily solve the indicated problem. You can mark multiple threads as HELPFUL if you feel additional info is useful to others.

Best Regards,
Ruggero
When applicable please mark the appropriate replies as CORRECT. This will help community members and Qlik Employees know which discussions have already been addressed and have a possible known solution. Please mark threads with a LIKE if the provided solution is helpful to the problem, but does not necessarily solve the indicated problem. You can mark multiple threads with LIKEs if you feel additional info is useful to others.
Nick_Rondeel
Partner - Contributor II
Partner - Contributor II

Hi Ruggero,

So if i understand correctly:

1. We build a new NPrinting.qvw on a DEV environment. In this QVW we create CH123.
  2. I open the NP17 DEV environment, create a new app. create a new connection which is directed to the fileserver \\DEV\Nprinting.qvw.
  3. I Create a report. Start testing and i'm happy.

1. I move the NPrinting.qvw from the DEV environment to the PRD environment.
  2. I open the NP17 PRD environment, create a new app. create a new connection (with the same name) which is directed to the fileserver \\PRD\Nprinting.qvw
  3. I export the report from the NP17 DEV, and import the report on the NP17 PRD.

Now NPrinting understands that for the imported report, connection is already created, and it uses that connection to grap CH123 from the PRD environment?

Thanks, Nick

pradosh_thakur
Master II
Master II

HI nick,

when you import the chart it prompts you to select the app name and connection name . Once you select that in prod it will use those app and connections and your NPrinting report shall work fine.

Learning never stops.
Ruggero_Piccoli
Support
Support

Hi,

Correct. So it is not necessary to use the same connection name in both environment.

Also the process is correct. We suggest to use QlikView Server connections instead of local connections.

Best Regards,

Ruggero

When applicable please mark the appropriate replies as CORRECT https://community.qlik.com/docs/DOC-14806. This will help community members and Qlik Employees know which discussions have already been addressed and have a possible known solution. Please mark threads as HELPFUL if the provided solution is helpful to the problem, but does not necessarily solve the indicated problem. You can mark multiple threads as HELPFUL if you feel additional info is useful to others.

Best Regards,
Ruggero
When applicable please mark the appropriate replies as CORRECT. This will help community members and Qlik Employees know which discussions have already been addressed and have a possible known solution. Please mark threads with a LIKE if the provided solution is helpful to the problem, but does not necessarily solve the indicated problem. You can mark multiple threads with LIKEs if you feel additional info is useful to others.