Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
MauriceBruns2019
Contributor II
Contributor II

Error during report generation

Hi Everyone, 

I had created a new Nprinting task, using an existing report base. The only exception was to add a new filter called: Partner or Roadmap: PSM Chargeable, PSM Non Chargeable. This filter is working on other tasks. Following the creation of the task, I ran it for a test. However, it failed to generate and gave an error of:

WARN: error during report generation: Invalid selections are applied to chart TAIDR Project List: Filters: [Fields: [Name: F\Partner or Roadmap,

Below is the Engine log:

Date and time                            Level                 Description

September 16, 2020 3:14:51 PM Info          Starting content resolution for report ea939b56-7c51-4692-ba00-bebb5162aa3d
September 16, 2020 3:15:04 PM Info          Finished content resolution for report ea939b56-7c51-4692-ba00-bebb5162aa3d
September 16, 2020 3:15:04 PM Info          Starting content production
September 16, 2020 3:15:04 PM Warn        WARN: error during report generation: Invalid selections are applied to chart TAIDR Project List: Filters: [Fields: [Name: F\Partner or Roadmap, ConnectionId: 8b26b7f1-fe38-4975-8aa2-6928643ca93e, Values: [String:PSM – Non-Chargeable, String:PSM – Chargeable], Override: False, Void: False], Void: False Fields: [Name: F\Budget Year, ConnectionId: 8b26b7f1-fe38-4975-8aa2-6928643ca93e, Values: [Evaluate:=Year(Today())], Override: False, Void: False], Void: False Fields: [Name: F\Delivery Report Flag, ConnectionId: 8b26b7f1-fe38-4975-8aa2-6928643ca93e, Values: [String:IT, String:Technology, String:GDO, String:N&SO, String:T&I], Override: False, Void: False, Name: F\Exe Summary Corona Flag, ConnectionId: 8b26b7f1-fe38-4975-8aa2-6928643ca93e, Values: [String:Yes], Override: False, Void: False], Void: False], Bookmark: , Void: False

Can someone please tell me what's this error??

Regards
Maurice Bruns

Labels (2)
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Lech_Miszkiewicz
Partner Ambassador/MVP
Partner Ambassador/MVP

Hi @boopeshj 

no, I don't suggest that. I cannot suggest anything without seeing it. All what I mean is that you need to model your data model so the filters can be applied and won't exclude themselves. This can be done, but it all depends on what filters are being applied and what combinations always need to exist so filter does not fail. 

It does not mean that you need to keep those dimensions in separate tables. you may also concatenate particular combinations to fact table without including fields used in measures.

cheers Lech, When applicable please mark the correct/appropriate replies as "solution" (you can mark up to 3 "solutions". Please LIKE threads if the provided solution is helpful to the problem.

View solution in original post

6 Replies
Lech_Miszkiewicz
Partner Ambassador/MVP
Partner Ambassador/MVP

Hi,

error is self explanatory -   WARN: error during report generation: Invalid selections are applied to chart TAIDR Project List: Filters

Whatever you have done with the filter NPrinting is not able to apply it. Typical issues are:

• you could use wrong syntax
  • you used wrong type of filter (value is, numerical value is, evaluate etc...)
  • selection cannot be applied and returns empty set - you can check this by applying the same selection in QlikView
  • your filter is intersecting with other existing TASK or USER or REPORT filter and cannot be applied due to excluded values

More about data type and pitfalls here: 

1.) https://nprintingadventures.com/2019/02/15/the-pitfalls-of-nprinting-filters-part-1-dates-and-duals/

2.) https://nprintingadventures.com/2019/02/25/the-pitfalls-of-nprinting-filters-part-2-search-string-fi...

3.) https://nprintingadventures.com/2019/06/26/nprinting-filters-part-3-advanced-search/

cheers 

cheers Lech, When applicable please mark the correct/appropriate replies as "solution" (you can mark up to 3 "solutions". Please LIKE threads if the provided solution is helpful to the problem.
MauriceBruns2019
Contributor II
Contributor II
Author

Thanks (so far)

With regards to: 'selection cannot be applied and returns empty set'

In my case, i have 10 tab sheets in the report; with only 3 tab sheets that return an empty set. How can i ensure that i can generate the report if the the remaining 7 tab sheets have data?

Lech_Miszkiewicz
Partner Ambassador/MVP
Partner Ambassador/MVP

Well. That is more of a design and development question, isnt it?

I dont know your data model in QlikView app, i dont know your template and report setup. If you experience such issues it means that report design was not planned and may require changes...but we cannot help more if we cannot see that exact scenario you are in

Lech_Miszkiewicz
Partner Ambassador/MVP
Partner Ambassador/MVP

Also i think that your 3 sheets are not able to apply filter You are trying to apply. It is different scenario than no data in charts from selection-it actually means that other fields you are selecting are not allowing you to apply the selection fully. 

typical workaround for that is to create dummy records in QlikView datamodel for the dimensions Used in selections so that selection can be applied but will not link to any factual data

boopeshj
Partner - Creator II
Partner - Creator II

@Lech_Miszkiewicz When you mean a Data Model Issue, Do you suggest the fields used in the filter should be separate Dimension tables ? 

Lech_Miszkiewicz
Partner Ambassador/MVP
Partner Ambassador/MVP

Hi @boopeshj 

no, I don't suggest that. I cannot suggest anything without seeing it. All what I mean is that you need to model your data model so the filters can be applied and won't exclude themselves. This can be done, but it all depends on what filters are being applied and what combinations always need to exist so filter does not fail. 

It does not mean that you need to keep those dimensions in separate tables. you may also concatenate particular combinations to fact table without including fields used in measures.