Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
sspe
Creator II
Creator II

Excel format doesn't stick when running report or preview

Hi,

I'm having a problem applying format to cells in an Excel report in NPrinting 18.

When I format the cells in the editor, everything looks fine like you see here 2019-02-07 16_11_00-sservpbireport1 - Sservpbireport1 - Remote Desktop Connection.png

, but when I run the report preview (or run the report) , the borders etc. doesn't applies to all cells -

Sservpbireport1 - Remote Desktop Connection.png

I have re-applied formatting several times, but to no avail.

I have also seen this problem once in a while in NPrinting 16, but have never really found the way to fix it, so can some of you help?

Regards

Steen

5 Replies
Frank_S
Support
Support

First,
You must be using a straight table to leverage field level formatting. You cannot apply cell by cell formatting to a pivot table. I don't know which you are using so I am sharing information about both here.
Next, make sure that you have unchecked 'keep source formats' from the field object properties. This can be accessed by right clicking of the field object in the upper left area of the template editor area within the 'tables' node of the NP template editor and then select 'properties'. from the context menu.

This will open the properties win dock on the lower left of the template editor.
In the properties doc, uncheck 'keep source formats'.

This should allow you to format your individual field cells as needed.
There is also documentation available around formatting on the Qlik NPrinting help site for additional information on formatting techniques as well. Here is a link which mentions steps to finding the 'keep source formats' check box.

https://help.qlik.com/en-US/nprinting/November2018/Content/NPrinting/ReportsDevelopment/Keep-QV-Form...
Please remember hit the 'Like' button and for helpful answers and resolutions, click on the 'Accept As Solution' button. Cheers!
sspe
Creator II
Creator II
Author

Hi,

It is a straight table I'm using, and it's from the same app as the report that was made in NPrinting 16.

I have also tried to play around with the "Keep source formats", but I find it a little bit "clunky". It seems like it's doing some odd things and doesn't always work.

I can see that it affects the cell border, but then again I have some cells where it still doesn't show the cell borders even though I have unchecked the source format box - but it works for others and I simply can't spot the difference in the settings.

The, what just happened was that when I tried to uncheck the "Keep source format" for one table (where all the individual fields was already unchecked), then it screwed up all formatting on the whole Excel sheet - also for the cells that get data from other tables.  When going back and checking the keep source format box on the table and un-checking all the individual fields so I am back to where I was, it doesn't change it back - all the formatting are still screwed up. In some way it seems like there are some formatting "overlay" on the Excel sheet - I can e.g. see a date value, where the value in the cell are shown as a date in the formula bar, but in the sheet it self it's shown as a number - eventhough the cell are formatted as a date.

I must say that I don't feel that Nprinting 18 have got any better than Nprinting 16:-(. We have also found NPrinting to be difficult to work with and you never really knew when things got screewed up and unfortunately this seems to continue in Nprinting 18.

Frank_S
Support
Support

Understood.

In that case I suggest submitting a support request with your support partner so that this issue can be examine one on one more thoroughly.

Please remember hit the 'Like' button and for helpful answers and resolutions, click on the 'Accept As Solution' button. Cheers!
sspe
Creator II
Creator II
Author

Thanks, but I more think we are at the point where we give up NPrinting and find another way to get the reports out in the future.  

/Steen

Frank_S
Support
Support

I suspect you may be closer to a resolution than you may realize.

I would urge you to submit a support request since a closer investigation may yield a solution, possibly, quite quickly. Or if that is not the case, a bug report or problem investigation can be performed to resolve the issue permanently.