Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
andrewmo
Creator
Creator

Hard time understanding user filters Nprinting Feb 2018

Hello

I am trying to find the best way to set up groups and filters for individualized reports but am having a hard time understanding the hierarchy. Can someone please help? For example:

User A needs to receive report for User A department only. Called Report 1

User A needs to receive report for User A cases only. Called Report 2

I have two groups Report 1 Grp and Report 2 Grp

User A is in both groups

User A has filter for Report 1 on department

User A has filter for Report 2 on name

Since these are on the same connection won't Report 2 filter down to department as well? If so, I don't want that. How would I overcome this?

Thanks in advance

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Lech_Miszkiewicz
Partner Ambassador/MVP
Partner Ambassador/MVP

Hi Andrew,

I suggest you start from here - this will give you top level idea how the filters are applied:

https://help.qlik.com/en-US/nprinting/February2018/Content/ReportsDevelopment/Static-dynamic-filters...

If user needs to receive 2 different reports based on dedicated user filters you need to build those report based on 2 different nprinting connections and user filters linked to those connections.

There is no other way to achieve it.

regards

Lech

cheers Lech, When applicable please mark the correct/appropriate replies as "solution" (you can mark up to 3 "solutions". Please LIKE threads if the provided solution is helpful to the problem.

View solution in original post

7 Replies
john_obrien
Contributor III
Contributor III

Andrew,

It sounds like you will need 2 different connections to the same document (app), so you can put the name filters on one and the department filters on the other.

Please let me know how that works for you.

Lech_Miszkiewicz
Partner Ambassador/MVP
Partner Ambassador/MVP

Hi Andrew,

I suggest you start from here - this will give you top level idea how the filters are applied:

https://help.qlik.com/en-US/nprinting/February2018/Content/ReportsDevelopment/Static-dynamic-filters...

If user needs to receive 2 different reports based on dedicated user filters you need to build those report based on 2 different nprinting connections and user filters linked to those connections.

There is no other way to achieve it.

regards

Lech

cheers Lech, When applicable please mark the correct/appropriate replies as "solution" (you can mark up to 3 "solutions". Please LIKE threads if the provided solution is helpful to the problem.
andrewmo
Creator
Creator
Author

Doesn't this kind of seem like a pain to maintain? I have multiple users that receive multiple reports with individual filters. If I have to create a connection for each filter this mean I need to manage multiple reload metadata tasks even though they are all coming from the same source....?

Lech_Miszkiewicz
Partner Ambassador/MVP
Partner Ambassador/MVP

Unfortunately this is the only way you can manage this.

On the other hand - why would you have to manage metadata reload - are you using LOCAL connection to QlikView? Frequent metadata reloading is only required if you are using LOCAL connection (which in my opinion is not a good solution anyway) or only if you are adding new objects to your Qlik document. In all other cases you do it as a one-off.

cheers

Lech

---------------------------------------------

When applicable please mark the appropriate replies as CORRECT. This will help community members and Qlik Employees know which discussions have already been addressed and have a possible known solution. Please mark threads as HELPFUL if the provided solution is helpful to the problem, but does not necessarily solve the indicated problem. You can mark multiple threads as HELPFUL if you feel additional info is useful to others.

andrewmo
Creator
Creator
Author

I'm using the server connection but I was under the impression you had to refresh the connection each day if you want the most recent data.  Are you saying I only need to establish the metadata connection once? So each morning I will see the data that was refreshed on the Qlikview server on the reports in Nprinting?

Lech_Miszkiewicz
Partner Ambassador/MVP
Partner Ambassador/MVP

Yes - If you are using QVP connection you don't need to refresh connection every morning. Data can be pushed from server and each morning you will see updated numbers.

I am not sure if the setting mentioned in attached file are still required (enabling dynamic update) or not, but all my clients who are using QVP connection don't refresh metadata!!!

cheers

Lech

andrewmo
Creator
Creator
Author

You are absolutely correct. Tested this morning without refreshing metadata and the current data was included. Thanks much for the clarification, this helps significantly.