Defect acknowledgement with Nprinting Engine May 2022 SR2, please READ HERE
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
eightieschild
Creator
Creator

How to display Qlik Sense Map Background in NPrinting report?

Running Qlik Sense 3.1.1 alongside NPrinting v17.3.0 and trying to get a report that shows a Qlik Sense native map object complete with the background tile map.

When the map object is added as an image to the NPrinting template, the report generates the dots OK, but not the background map:

03-05-2017 12-28-43.jpg

What do I need to tweak to show the background map?

Thanks

Chris

12 Replies
Lech_Miszkiewicz
Partner Ambassador/MVP
Partner Ambassador/MVP

Hi,

I think map renderring happens on the box where NPrinting is sitting.

RDP to this server using NPrinting service account and try to open hub and this application. I think you may have a problem with internet connection on NPrinting server (!! not QlikSense server !!) which is required and this prevents background from beeing rendered.

hope this helps

regards

Lech

cheers Lech, When applicable please mark the correct/appropriate replies as "solution" (you can mark up to 3 "solutions". Please LIKE threads if the provided solution is helpful to the problem.
Lech_Miszkiewicz
Partner Ambassador/MVP
Partner Ambassador/MVP

Hi,

I want to add to this another coment.

this is only my suspicion but i think nPrinting "is faster" than internet connection generating background image. When i tested this, it happened to me on first report preview that i did not have background and on further attempts i had a background.

Also when i put image in betwen levels for XLS template first image was missing and rest was rendered as expected.

It may be a bug, or Qlik has to think about some iddle time until map object gets fully shown.

djk‌ - have you ever tried NPrinting with Sense Map object? - did you encounter any issue? your thoughts will be very appreciated

kind regards

Lech

map1.pngMap2.png

cheers Lech, When applicable please mark the correct/appropriate replies as "solution" (you can mark up to 3 "solutions". Please LIKE threads if the provided solution is helpful to the problem.
eightieschild
Creator
Creator
Author

Hi Lech

Thanks for the response. What you've suggested makes sense, but I've checked the NPrinting server and the Qlik Sense Hub displays the app with the map (and background) OK.

I've also tried generating a report with just the map and nothing else, but still no dice.

Any ideas?

Thanks

Chris

Lech_Miszkiewicz
Partner Ambassador/MVP
Partner Ambassador/MVP

Hi Chris,

well as i said - I encountered similar behaviour that the one you have described. That is why i asked Daniel, whether he is aware of any issues with maps background in NPrinting.

I may log a case with Qlik to make them aware of a problem and seek for solution.

kind regards

Lech

Lech_Miszkiewicz
Partner Ambassador/MVP
Partner Ambassador/MVP

I have raised a case with QLIK - we are looking for solution = will keep you posted

cheers

Lech

Lech_Miszkiewicz
Partner Ambassador/MVP
Partner Ambassador/MVP

We had this case investigated with Qlik - result is that "is working as designed". I agree with this after giving it a long thought.

Map background generation is not part of Qlik  - as it uses OpenStreet map API service or one of your choice. The sufficient internet connection speed is a "MUST" in order to generate properly background image.

Like i suspected lack of background on map chart may be related to internet speed. I have tested this using my phone tethering with my laptop. If i was in poor reception with poor interenet speed - then NPrinting mostly generated map chart without background. On 4G/LTE network it was all working fine.

Chris - when you accessing Hub and opening Map chart do you experience a 1 second lag before you can see map background? That is all what is causing a problem!

regards

Lech

eightieschild
Creator
Creator
Author

Hi Lech

Thanks for looking into this further - appreciate your help!

To answer the question of lag, the server doesn't experience any material time lag in painting the map. In fact, it paints the map before it paints the dots, which takes less than a second. This is while logged on to the NPrinting server as the account that runs the services.

I'm a little bit puzzled by Qlik's response of 'working as designed'. I'm not sure there is any use case for geopoint information without the map behind it.

If Qlik are saying native maps are supported with NPrinting, they should include the OpenStreetMap background map or this is a meaningless feature. A bit like saying a camera can take pictures of you, but there will be no background.

Best regards

Chris

eightieschild
Creator
Creator
Author

Just to back that up, I've taken some video frames from the app I've been testing with to show the response time:

The sheet opens, first painting the central charts:

10-05-2017 09-23-41.jpg

Then the map components render, first showing the background map centralised over France:

10-05-2017 09-21-24.jpg

Then, as the dots are painted, the map centralises and paints the UK:

10-05-2017 09-22-01.jpg

The final result, taking 4 frames of video @9 frames/sec:

10-05-2017 09-22-07.jpg

Best regards

Chris

Lech_Miszkiewicz
Partner Ambassador/MVP
Partner Ambassador/MVP

Hi Chris.

Looking at your examples indeed there is no problem with internet speed.

• Are you able to upgrade your QlikSense and NPrinitng to the most recent versions?
  • Are you able to log a support case with Qlik regarding this issue?
    • this would require .qvf file (you will have to give them your qvf so they can investigate)
    • screenshot of your NPrinting template (the one in NPrinting Designer with all entities expanded)
    • template file (xls, html.. depending on type)

sorry i could not help more

cheers

Lech