Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
coxon_88
Contributor II
Contributor II

How to filter a field using a variable as the value

Hi,

We've recently installed Nprinting Sept 2020 on our servers and we are looking to update our existing Nprint jobs built on v16. We used to be able to filter a field using a variable from the Qlik app as the value. No matter what i try, I can't get this to work. Could someone provide me with an example so I can see the syntax used please? 

Thanks.

Labels (2)
4 Replies
Lech_Miszkiewicz
Partner Ambassador/MVP
Partner Ambassador/MVP

This subject is not simple as variables can behave differently depending on how they are defined in QlikView. Is your variable static value or expression? If it is expression do you expand variable by using "=" sign in QlikView or do you just pass variable expression to NPrinting?

Now we would need to know whole scenario happening in NPrinitng 16 as the other filters may also play a role. In NPrintin 16 you could use variable as a filter and that variable could be expression which was calculated based on other filters placed in the same report/task.

Present us with details on how you apply your variable filter and we will take it from there. Screenshots would help. Think about what we see - we are not there with you so we dont get to see everything, help us understand each step you take and I am sure we will find a solution. 

regards

Lech

cheers Lech, When applicable please mark the correct/appropriate replies as "solution" (you can mark up to 3 "solutions". Please LIKE threads if the provided solution is helpful to the problem.
Paulania
Contributor
Contributor

Hiii everyone 

can you give me the syntax of nprinting 

Thanks, AlaskasWorld PET

coxon_88
Contributor II
Contributor II
Author

Hi,

The variables are all static and calculated in the load script of the app, no expressions at all. I simply use it for flagging the current fiscal year and fiscal period for example so that i can easily filter my nprinting reports like i used to. for the value of a field driven filter i expect to just be able to put in a value something along the lines of '=$(vCurrentPeriod)' and the filter will be applied.

Thanks.

Lech_Miszkiewicz
Partner Ambassador/MVP
Partner Ambassador/MVP

Hi, 

sorry but you still did not provide any screenshots on how you actually apply your filter using variable. Maybe you are using wrong option from dropdown: "value is" instead of "evaluate or advanced search"?

you should simply use: Evaluate and =$(vCurrentPeriod)

https://help.qlik.com/en-US/nprinting/September2020/Content/NPrinting/ReportsDevelopment/Static-dyna...

cheers Lech, When applicable please mark the correct/appropriate replies as "solution" (you can mark up to 3 "solutions". Please LIKE threads if the provided solution is helpful to the problem.