Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
jananireddy1
Contributor III
Contributor III

How to set up NPrinitng Prod and Dev environments

Hello Folks, 

I have tired multiple way of having  dev and prod reports in NPrinitng, But when the time comes for the dev report to move to prod. My set up fails!

Here is what I am looking to do 

XYZ Dev Report >> Connects to a XYZ Qlik App in Dev stream 

(Developer does the work here and asks the admin to publish when done)

What the admin wants to do:

Export XYZ Dev Report and replace it in the XYZ Prod Report >> Change the connection to XYZ Qlik App in Prod stream >> Publish it 

Where it fails - is when I am trying to change the connection from the DEV to Prod .

I have both the connections set up pointing to a single app in Nprinting. And we just have one installation of NPrinting which we use for dev and prod 

And please tell me if I am unrealistic in doing so. Also curious to hear how you guys have NPritning set up in your organizations 

Thankyou

JR
Labels (2)
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Lech_Miszkiewicz
Partner Ambassador/MVP
Partner Ambassador/MVP

Hi, 

There is no one good way of setting this up. If your goal is to have independent versions of Qlik Sense app and NPrinting report for development but you only have 1 Qlik Sense and 1 NPrinting Environment I would set it up this way:

1. Qlik Sense
    1. Stream DEV
      1. App for NPrinting
    2. Stream PROD
      1. Duplicated App for NPrinting from stream DEV and Published in stream PROD
  2. NPrinting
    1. App DEV
      1. Connection to App for NPrinitng in Stream DEV
      2. Report built of above connection
    2. App PROD
      1. Connection to App for NPrinitng in Stream PROD

Now deployment:

The most important thing about deployment from DEV to PROD in this scenario is to remember dependencies.

Here are the steps and reasons:

• First we have to deploy Qlik Sense app from DEV to PROD. The main reason for that is that changes done in Qlik Sense app (either to objects, data model or variables have to be first moved to production)
  • Once this is done NPrinitng PROD connection needs to have metadata regenerated to allow for new objects to be available
    • this can potentially break old PROD NPrinting report, but obviously is required for new report we are just about to deploy
  • Now we are ready to export NPrinting DEV report (we use export function in NPrinting Web console)
    • your report will be downloaded as ZIP file
  • Now you navigate to PROD  NPrinting report which needs to be replaced and in NPrinintg Admin Web console you use "REPLACE" button, point to a zip file and follow instructions... During this process you need to use PROD report name (as this is the name of report you want to keep, you need to choose prod NPrinitng connection, and make sure that all filters (if required) are matched or created if there are new ones..

In nutshell this is the whole setup and process.

I am using this approach in most of my deployments as many clients dont have separate DEV environments so we just mimck DEV as separate NPrinitng apps or Qlik Sense streams.

hope this helps.

cheers Lech, When applicable please mark the correct/appropriate replies as "solution" (you can mark up to 3 "solutions". Please LIKE threads if the provided solution is helpful to the problem.

View solution in original post

3 Replies
Lech_Miszkiewicz
Partner Ambassador/MVP
Partner Ambassador/MVP

Hi, 

There is no one good way of setting this up. If your goal is to have independent versions of Qlik Sense app and NPrinting report for development but you only have 1 Qlik Sense and 1 NPrinting Environment I would set it up this way:

1. Qlik Sense
    1. Stream DEV
      1. App for NPrinting
    2. Stream PROD
      1. Duplicated App for NPrinting from stream DEV and Published in stream PROD
  2. NPrinting
    1. App DEV
      1. Connection to App for NPrinitng in Stream DEV
    2. App PROD
      1. Connection to App for NPrinitng in Stream PROD

Now deployment:

The most important thing about deployment from DEV to PROD in this scenario is to remember dependencies.

Here are the steps and reasons:

• First we have to deploy Qlik Sense app from DEV to PROD. The main reason for that is that changes done in Qlik Sense app (either to objects, data model or variables have to be first moved to production)
  • Once this is done NPrinitng PROD connection needs to have metadata regenerated to allow for new objects to be available
    • this can potentially break old PROD NPrinting report, but obviously is required for new report we are just about to deploy
  • Now we are ready to export NPrinting DEV report (we use export function in NPrinting Web console)
    • your report will be downloaded as ZIP file
  • Now you navigate to PROD  NPrinting report which needs to be replaced and in NPrinintg Admin Web console you use "REPLACE" button, point to a zip file and follow instructions... During this process you need to use PROD report name (as this is the name of report you want to keep, you need to choose prod NPrinitng connection, and make sure that all filters (if required) are matched or created if there are new ones..

In nutshell this is the whole setup and process.

I am using this approach in most of my deployments as many clients dont have separate DEV environments so we just mimck DEV as separate NPrinitng apps or Qlik Sense streams.

hope this helps.

cheers Lech, When applicable please mark the correct/appropriate replies as "solution" (you can mark up to 3 "solutions". Please LIKE threads if the provided solution is helpful to the problem.
Lech_Miszkiewicz
Partner Ambassador/MVP
Partner Ambassador/MVP

one other comments:

I would avoid having PROD and DEV in the same NPrinitng App. This can cause issues. You may experience unexpected behaviours especially when using OnDemand. 

jananireddy1
Contributor III
Contributor III
Author

Hey, firstly i am sorry about the delayed response. My priorities had shifted while this task was still pending. 

I appreciate your long description and its spot on. Did the exact same thing but i face difficulty in choosing the Connection while importing the app . Wondering if you would be able to help me still 

jananireddy1_0-1616688693638.png

Here is a flow chart of what i have done to set up 

jananireddy1_1-1616687426364.png

Thankyou

JR