cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
bmartin_hm
Contributor
Contributor

Individuals receive zip file of all reports not their individual reports

We are having an issue with reports (700+) being generated and sent to all of the users in a group as a zip file. Most of these reports are blank, excluding the header row. The group of individuals is about 16 users and their reports are the only ones with actual data. Those users all have filters assigned to them so they should only receive their individual report as an Excel file. I've been trying to solution this for several months now.

REPORT:

-Cycle on Sales Person's Name (Field)

-No filters

TASK:

-Report selected

-No filters

-Group of users (each user has a filter of the field with their name)

-Email with 'Selected Users' as the email to and 'Selected Attachments' as the attachment

Labels (2)
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Lech_Miszkiewicz
Partner Ambassador/MVP
Partner Ambassador/MVP

Hi, I tried to replicate your issue and I couldn't. It works for me as expected, which leads me to the conclusion that you are setting something wrong up.

Here are the steps to replicate what I have done and I believe this is what you are trying to do. (screenshots done only for NPrinting settings)

1. Create a QVW file called Test.qvw
  2. Open edit script and hit CTRL+Q+Q - this will autogenerate script.
  3. Reload, Save and go to Sheet view
  4. Create Straight Table object (CH01)
    • Dimensions: 
      • Dim1
      • Dim2
    • Expressions
      • Sum(Expression1)
  5. Save
  6. Go to NPrinting create connection to this file and reload metadata
  7. Create excel report called "Cycle&Filter"
    • Enable Cycle
    • Choose Dimension Dim1 as FieldToCycle
    • Save
    • 1.png
  8. Edit Report
    • drag&drop column tags on on sheet
    • save and close
    • 4.png
  9. Create 2 filters User_A filter and User_B filter
    • User_A filter Dimensions used in cycle Dim1=A
      • 2.png
    • User_B filter Dimensions used in cycle Dim1=B
      • 3.png
  10. Create 2 users:  _AA_User_1 and  _AA_User_2
    • Assign Filter User_A to user  _AA_User_1
      • 5.png
    • Assign Filter User_B  TO user  _AA_User_2
      • 6.png
  11. Create group called Testing and add to it users: _AA_User_1 and  _AA_User_2
    • 7.png
  12. Create publish task called "Testing Only"
    • Add to it report Cycle&Filter
    • 9.png
  13. Go To users/groups and add your "Testing" group as recipient
    • 10.png
  14. No Filters in Filters section
    • 13.png
  15. Select Email as destination
    • 11.png
  16. Create short email message to make sure respective recipients are used
    • 12.png
  17. Run Task
  18. Each recipient should receive email with Zip file.
    • Recipient  _AA_User_1 should receive report Cycle&FilterDim1.xls.zip with Cycle&FilterA.xls file in it
      • 14.png
    • Recipient  _AA_User_2 should receive report Cycle&FilterDim1.xls.zip with Cycle&FilterB.xls file in it

Now - this is the logic you seem to follow but somewhere on the way you are doing something different. I suggest you recreate this easy sample and see the results. If you get different results you may want to post them here with screenshots of your steps. Pay attention to all small details

My screenshots were taken on April 2020 version but November 2019 will work the same with this scenario.

Questions:

If there are other scenarios in your workflow I suggest you use it the sample data to recreate is and share it here. It is much easier to work with dummy than speculate on the real data.

cheers

Lech

cheers Lech, When applicable please mark the correct/appropriate replies as "solution" (you can mark up to 3 "solutions". Please LIKE threads if the provided solution is helpful to the problem.

View solution in original post

3 Replies
Lech_Miszkiewicz
Partner Ambassador/MVP
Partner Ambassador/MVP

Hi, I tried to replicate your issue and I couldn't. It works for me as expected, which leads me to the conclusion that you are setting something wrong up.

Here are the steps to replicate what I have done and I believe this is what you are trying to do. (screenshots done only for NPrinting settings)

1. Create a QVW file called Test.qvw
  2. Open edit script and hit CTRL+Q+Q - this will autogenerate script.
  3. Reload, Save and go to Sheet view
  4. Create Straight Table object (CH01)
    • Dimensions: 
      • Dim1
      • Dim2
    • Expressions
      • Sum(Expression1)
  5. Save
  6. Go to NPrinting create connection to this file and reload metadata
  7. Create excel report called "Cycle&Filter"
    • Enable Cycle
    • Choose Dimension Dim1 as FieldToCycle
    • Save
    • 1.png
  8. Edit Report
    • drag&drop column tags on on sheet
    • save and close
    • 4.png
  9. Create 2 filters User_A filter and User_B filter
    • User_A filter Dimensions used in cycle Dim1=A
      • 2.png
    • User_B filter Dimensions used in cycle Dim1=B
      • 3.png
  10. Create 2 users:  _AA_User_1 and  _AA_User_2
    • Assign Filter User_A to user  _AA_User_1
      • 5.png
    • Assign Filter User_B  TO user  _AA_User_2
      • 6.png
  11. Create group called Testing and add to it users: _AA_User_1 and  _AA_User_2
    • 7.png
  12. Create publish task called "Testing Only"
    • Add to it report Cycle&Filter
    • 9.png
  13. Go To users/groups and add your "Testing" group as recipient
    • 10.png
  14. No Filters in Filters section
    • 13.png
  15. Select Email as destination
    • 11.png
  16. Create short email message to make sure respective recipients are used
    • 12.png
  17. Run Task
  18. Each recipient should receive email with Zip file.
    • Recipient  _AA_User_1 should receive report Cycle&FilterDim1.xls.zip with Cycle&FilterA.xls file in it
      • 14.png
    • Recipient  _AA_User_2 should receive report Cycle&FilterDim1.xls.zip with Cycle&FilterB.xls file in it

Now - this is the logic you seem to follow but somewhere on the way you are doing something different. I suggest you recreate this easy sample and see the results. If you get different results you may want to post them here with screenshots of your steps. Pay attention to all small details

My screenshots were taken on April 2020 version but November 2019 will work the same with this scenario.

Questions:

If there are other scenarios in your workflow I suggest you use it the sample data to recreate is and share it here. It is much easier to work with dummy than speculate on the real data.

cheers

Lech

cheers Lech, When applicable please mark the correct/appropriate replies as "solution" (you can mark up to 3 "solutions". Please LIKE threads if the provided solution is helpful to the problem.
bmartin_hm
Contributor
Contributor
Author

Yesterday I completely rebuilt everything and found the issue. The user filter was not working at all. Therefore an individual would receive all of the reports, not just theirs. I had rebuilt the report and task previously, but not the filter.

Question: @Lech_Miszkiewicz  is there a way to have the Excel (or other file type) sent as just the file vs a .zip?

Lech_Miszkiewicz
Partner Ambassador/MVP
Partner Ambassador/MVP

Hi,

With "Enable cycle option on" the only output you can get at the moment is .zip.

This is however known limitation and I hope Qlik will bring in possibility of changing it so the bundle of reports gets sent as actual individual files (not a zip bundle).