Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
peterbergman
Contributor III
Contributor III

LDAP / Active directory Import of users in groups in groups

Hi

I'm trying to imports users, roles and groups from Active directory. It's working OK to import users and groups and roles. I would like to import the Active directory group "Domain Users" to the role Users? I have made an group called NP_Users in our active directoty. In that group I have put in the group "Domain users" but no individual usernames. The result of the import is that no users are connected  to the group "NP_Users" in nprinting.  If I add individual names in the group "NP_Users" it's working. 

So my question is "Can I put groups in groups in Active directory and Nprinting will import that information"

Best regards

Peter

Labels (2)
3 Solutions

Accepted Solutions
Ruggero_Piccoli
Support
Support

Hi,

LDAP groups are imported and created in Qlik NPrinting and LDAP users that are member of these groups are also added in Qlik NPrinting. To limit the number of created groups you must use filters.

Roles must be created in Qlik NPrinting before to start to import users from LDAP. If you want that a user is created with the associations with some roles, the roles must have exactly the same names of the LDAP groups that rappresent the roles.

Best Regards,

Ruggero

Best Regards,
Ruggero
---------------------------------------------
When applicable please mark the appropriate replies as CORRECT. This will help community members and Qlik Employees know which discussions have already been addressed and have a possible known solution. Please mark threads with a LIKE if the provided solution is helpful to the problem, but does not necessarily solve the indicated problem. You can mark multiple threads with LIKEs if you feel additional info is useful to others.

View solution in original post

peterbergman
Contributor III
Contributor III
Author

Hi Ruggero

Thank you for your support. I have solved this after some testing  with the import sources and different settings. The solution for me was this

1. I made 5+2 groups in Active Directory. Report1, Report2, report3, Report4, Report5, User, NewStand User. 

2. Added the usernames in the groups Report1 to Report5

3 In the group User and Newstand Users I added all the groups Report1 to Report5.

4. In Nprinting -> task -> import user I added a ldap source to retrieve users with a connection path. ldap://mydomain.local/OU=Users,OU=Nprinting,CD=mydomain,dc=local. Also setting the entry attributes. The field user identification I changed from inetOrgPerson to person.

5. Added another ldap source. connection path:  ldap://mydomain.local/OU=Groups,OU=Nprinting,CD=mydmain,dc=local. The setting in entry attributes I did not change. So the field User Identification was set to inetOrgPerson. In the advanced settings I also change the field "Alternative group path" to OU=Groups,OU=Nprinting. Maybee I don'nt need to do this but I it worked with this setting.

6. Then I run the import. All the users was importer, all the sevengroups was importet. And the right user was connected to the right group and also the right role.

Thank you for your support and ideas. It helped me to solve this.

Best regards

Peter

peterbergman
Contributor III
Contributor III
Author

Hi Ruggero 

Than you for your support. I have now solved this after some testing. The solution was the following

1. First I made 5+2 groups in Active Directory. Report1 to Report5 and then I made two more groups User and Newstand User

2. Then I added the usernames to the reporting groups Report1 to Report5

3. Then I added the groups Report1 to Report 5 to the group User and also Newstand User

4. In Nprinting I made import task. Added the ldap source. In the entry attributes section I change the field "user identification" from inetOrgPerson to the value "person". The connection path was to the OU containing the users.

5. I added one more ldap source.  In the entry attributes section I din not change the field "user identification". I left it sith the default value inetOrgPerson. I also added an advanced value in the field "alternative group path". I put in the OU where the groups Report1 to Report5. The connection path was to the OU where the groups is stored.

6. I then run the import. All the users , groups and also roles was imported correct.

Thank you for you ideas. It helped med to solve this issue. I can now have groups in groups in Active directory and Nprinting is updated correct.

Best regards

Peter

8 Replies
Ruggero_Piccoli
Support
Support

Hi,

LDAP groups are imported and created in Qlik NPrinting and LDAP users that are member of these groups are also added in Qlik NPrinting. To limit the number of created groups you must use filters.

Roles must be created in Qlik NPrinting before to start to import users from LDAP. If you want that a user is created with the associations with some roles, the roles must have exactly the same names of the LDAP groups that rappresent the roles.

Best Regards,

Ruggero

Best Regards,
Ruggero
When applicable please mark the appropriate replies as CORRECT. This will help community members and Qlik Employees know which discussions have already been addressed and have a possible known solution. Please mark threads with a LIKE if the provided solution is helpful to the problem, but does not necessarily solve the indicated problem. You can mark multiple threads with LIKEs if you feel additional info is useful to others.
peterbergman
Contributor III
Contributor III
Author

Hi 

The issue I'm trying to solve is that I have in example 10 different groups in Active Directory and also Nprinting. This is working OK. We can call this groups Report01, Report02, Report03 and so on. 

Then I have a role in Nprinting called "Users" and "Newstand users". I would like to add the groups Report1, Report2, Report3 to the roles "Users" and "Newstand Users".

Is this possible with an import ? I can solve this by making groups in Active Directory called "Users" and "Newstand users" but then  I need to add all the individual usernames in this two groups.  I would like to put groups in groups.

Best regards

Peter

Ruggero_Piccoli
Support
Support

You can add roles only to users not to groups. Groups in Qlik NPrinting are only groups of users and cannot have roles, filters, etc.

So you must, for example, to add the role "Newstand users" to all users that you want to have it. You can do by adding them to an LDAP group called "Newstand users" so when imported the LDAP group and the role will be match.

Best Regards,

Ruggero

Best Regards,
Ruggero
peterbergman
Contributor III
Contributor III
Author

Hi Ruggero

Thank you for your support. I have solved this after some testing  with the import sources and different settings. The solution for me was this

1. I made 5+2 groups in Active Directory. Report1, Report2, report3, Report4, Report5, User, NewStand User. 

2. Added the usernames in the groups Report1 to Report5

3 In the group User and Newstand Users I added all the groups Report1 to Report5.

4. In Nprinting -> task -> import user I added a ldap source to retrieve users with a connection path. ldap://mydomain.local/OU=Users,OU=Nprinting,CD=mydomain,dc=local. Also setting the entry attributes. The field user identification I changed from inetOrgPerson to person.

5. Added another ldap source. connection path:  ldap://mydomain.local/OU=Groups,OU=Nprinting,CD=mydmain,dc=local. The setting in entry attributes I did not change. So the field User Identification was set to inetOrgPerson. In the advanced settings I also change the field "Alternative group path" to OU=Groups,OU=Nprinting. Maybee I don'nt need to do this but I it worked with this setting.

6. Then I run the import. All the users was importer, all the sevengroups was importet. And the right user was connected to the right group and also the right role.

Thank you for your support and ideas. It helped me to solve this.

Best regards

Peter

peterbergman
Contributor III
Contributor III
Author

Hi Ruggero 

Than you for your support. I have now solved this after some testing. The solution was the following

1. First I made 5+2 groups in Active Directory. Report1 to Report5 and then I made two more groups User and Newstand User

3. Then I added the groups Report1 to Report 5 to the group User and also Newstand User

4. In Nprinting I made import task. Added the ldap source. In the entry attributes section I change the field "user identification" from inetOrgPerson to the value "person". The connection path was to the OU containing the users.

5. I added one more ldap source.  In the entry attributes section I din not change the field "user identification". I left it sith the default value inetOrgPerson. I also added an advanced value in the field "alternative group path". I put in the OU where the groups Report1 to Report5. The connection path was to the OU where the groups is stored.

6. I then run the import. All the users , groups and also roles was imported correct.

Thank you for you ideas. It helped med to solve this issue. I can now have groups in groups in Active directory and Nprinting is updated correct.

Best regards

Peter

peterbergman
Contributor III
Contributor III
Author

Hi Ruggero 

5. I added one more ldap source.  In the entry attributes section I did not change the field "user identification". I left it with the default value inetOrgPerson. I also added an advanced value in the field "alternative group path". I put in the OU to the groups Report1 to Report5. The connection path was to the OU where the groups is stored.

Best regards

Peter

prees959
Creator II
Creator II

Hi @Ruggero_Piccoli 

I am also having problems importing users from Active Directory.  

i have the following connection path LDAP://MyDomain.local
Within our AD we have a group called 'Sales Dashboard' - can you help with the correct path to import these users please?  Do I need a similar group created in NPrint?  Thanks so much

Ruggero_Piccoli
Support
Support

Hi,

Can you create a new conversation? Thanks.

Please add some details. I did not understood if you already created an import task in Qlik NPrinting and you have a specific error or if you want to create the import. 

You can apply LDAP filters (so by following the LDAP syntax) to select only one group.

Best REgards,

Ruggero

Best Regards,
Ruggero