Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
NarayanaSwamyKarli
Partner - Contributor III

Merge Cells without Pivot table and be editable after Nprinting has connected

Hi, 

I need merge cells feature (similar to excel) to merge cells with same data in any column.

I cannot use Pivot table to use its grouping capability for merging, because, I need this table to be connected to nprinting and get an editable output, whereas Pivot is read by nprinting as image, another issue with pivot is all grouped and merged cells need to be on left side, whereas my requirement is to have this merge cells feature on any column.

Attached is input data and output expected.

Is it possible to create a extension for this requirement and yet be read by nprinting as editable data?

Labels (3)
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Lech_Miszkiewicz
Partner Ambassador/MVP
Partner Ambassador/MVP

I am sure you have already read this but i am putting below link just for reference if others would like to know. It lists requirements your extension needs to meet to work properly in NPrinting - (note the requirement for the object to be able to work as a table).

https://help.qlik.com/en-US/nprinting/April2019/Content/NPrinting/MultiDocument/Using-Sense-third-pa...

I quess you would have to test it by yourself if creating an extension you want is possible and if it will cooperate with NPrinting as you want it. That however will have to be supported by yourself.

I will not comment on it as i cannot test it by myself. I am also against using unsupported extensions just because they create more problems than benefits from my experience.

cheers Lech, When applicable please mark the correct/appropriate replies as "solution" (you can mark up to 3 "solutions". Please LIKE threads if the provided solution is helpful to the problem.

View solution in original post

6 Replies
Lech_Miszkiewicz
Partner Ambassador/MVP
Partner Ambassador/MVP

I am not sure if this would fit your requirements but,

I would use Qlik Sense Pivot table and NPrinting as it exports data as per your request retaining grouping. The only problem is to have different column order which you could change using macro in xls.

If you give me exact requirements i may be able to do small POC,

btw - it is not true that pivot table are only exported as images. That is an old statement. If you keep your NPrinting and Qlik Sense versions up to date then you will be able to export data as well.

cheers

Lech

cheers Lech, When applicable please mark the correct/appropriate replies as "solution" (you can mark up to 3 "solutions". Please LIKE threads if the provided solution is helpful to the problem.
NarayanaSwamyKarli
Author

Hi Lech,

Thank you so much for the help.

I do not yet have access to Nprinting, which I would get in couple of days, so, I will check it with Pivot solution.

Version would be November 18 Version 18.39.6.0, I hope this supports Pivot with data and not as image.

Requirement is simple as shown in figure attached in post and just compare with its previous data and highlight those records using some coloring and report generated in ppt (with editable data) and pdf.

So, if Pivot and Nprinting Nov1.7 version gets an editable output in ppt, then I can manage with pivot

Thanks.

Narayana

Lech_Miszkiewicz
Partner Ambassador/MVP
Partner Ambassador/MVP

Oh well, there is one big issue - you want this in Power Point which you did not mention initially and which changes whole conversation.

So I could easily see it working as editable Excel report with Macro, but I do not see it working with PPT (at least not with my skills. Regarding your original question re extension - I do not think this will be possible and definitely it will not be supported by Qlik

cheers

Lech

NarayanaSwamyKarli
Author

Ah, Sorry Lech, for missing that major piece of information.

ok, so its clear that its not possible with native Qliksense and Nprinting.

And, reg your last statement, you think this might not be possible with extension also...?

Or would it be like any chart except straight table, be it Qlik native chart or chart using extension would be image in PPT when generated by nprinting ?

Thanks,
Narayana
Lech_Miszkiewicz
Partner Ambassador/MVP
Partner Ambassador/MVP

I am sure you have already read this but i am putting below link just for reference if others would like to know. It lists requirements your extension needs to meet to work properly in NPrinting - (note the requirement for the object to be able to work as a table).

https://help.qlik.com/en-US/nprinting/April2019/Content/NPrinting/MultiDocument/Using-Sense-third-pa...

I quess you would have to test it by yourself if creating an extension you want is possible and if it will cooperate with NPrinting as you want it. That however will have to be supported by yourself.

I will not comment on it as i cannot test it by myself. I am also against using unsupported extensions just because they create more problems than benefits from my experience.

NarayanaSwamyKarli
Author

Yes, thanks, I have just started learning javascript etc to have an extension built, I hope this would take only one hypercube with merging done using rowspan option, and I hope it still considered as table, so that Nprinting supports this extension and supports as a table

Yes, I will try to build an extension and use it on nprinting and see.

Thanks for all your help and time.

Regards,
Narayana