Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
yassinemhadhbi
Creator II
Creator II

Migration of NPrinting 16 to nov 19

Good morning,

We are using NPrinting 16 and i was required to migrate to a newer version (nov 2019).

we have licence and we pay for maintenance and eveything.

can someone give me details about the migration ? how to do it and from where to download the .exe for the nov 2019 version and everything 

Best Regards
Yassine Mhadhbi
Labels (2)
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Ruggero_Piccoli
Support
Support

Hi, 

I suppose you are quite new to Qlik NPrinting, so first of all, Qlik NPrinting  is an enterprise class software and you must be well trained before starting to use it. Specially for a migration process where you could need to solve issues related to all parts of the product. So first of all invest in your training or hire an expert consultant that can help you. I suggest you to start from the official help site.

The Qlik NPrinting setups are distributed in the official download site https://us-d.demo.qlik.com/download/. You must login to be able to download the setups.

The migration tool is also well documented on the official help site at the page: https://help.qlik.com/en-US/nprinting/February2020/Content/NPrinting/Migrate/Migrating.htm.

Another document is available here at the page https://community.qlik.com/t5/Qlik-NPrinting-Documents/QlikView-NPrinting-16-Migration-Playbook-A-re...

Study them really well before starting and remember to backup your installation.

Best Regards,

Ruggero

Best Regards,
Ruggero
---------------------------------------------
When applicable please mark the appropriate replies as CORRECT. This will help community members and Qlik Employees know which discussions have already been addressed and have a possible known solution. Please mark threads with a LIKE if the provided solution is helpful to the problem, but does not necessarily solve the indicated problem. You can mark multiple threads with LIKEs if you feel additional info is useful to others.

View solution in original post

15 Replies
Ruggero_Piccoli
Support
Support

Hi, 

I suppose you are quite new to Qlik NPrinting, so first of all, Qlik NPrinting  is an enterprise class software and you must be well trained before starting to use it. Specially for a migration process where you could need to solve issues related to all parts of the product. So first of all invest in your training or hire an expert consultant that can help you. I suggest you to start from the official help site.

The Qlik NPrinting setups are distributed in the official download site https://us-d.demo.qlik.com/download/. You must login to be able to download the setups.

The migration tool is also well documented on the official help site at the page: https://help.qlik.com/en-US/nprinting/February2020/Content/NPrinting/Migrate/Migrating.htm.

Another document is available here at the page https://community.qlik.com/t5/Qlik-NPrinting-Documents/QlikView-NPrinting-16-Migration-Playbook-A-re...

Study them really well before starting and remember to backup your installation.

Best Regards,

Ruggero

Best Regards,
Ruggero
When applicable please mark the appropriate replies as CORRECT. This will help community members and Qlik Employees know which discussions have already been addressed and have a possible known solution. Please mark threads with a LIKE if the provided solution is helpful to the problem, but does not necessarily solve the indicated problem. You can mark multiple threads with LIKEs if you feel additional info is useful to others.
Lech_Miszkiewicz
Partner Ambassador/MVP
Partner Ambassador/MVP

Hi @yassinemhadhbi 

I totally aggree with @Ruggero_Piccoli. If you have not work with NPrinting 17 or higher (18,19,20 etc..) you better spend a LOT of time learning about differences. Judging by the generic content of your question you preatty much have no idea how different tools NPrinting 16 and 17 are and you have no awrness on how it will impact your environment.

My suggestion is:

Lots of learnign in front of you and for the task above I would suggest getting a proffesional help - someone who worked with NPrinitng 17+ for at least last 2-3 years and worked with NPrinitng 16 as well

cheers

Lech

cheers Lech, When applicable please mark the correct/appropriate replies as "solution" (you can mark up to 3 "solutions". Please LIKE threads if the provided solution is helpful to the problem.
yassinemhadhbi
Creator II
Creator II
Author

HI,

Thank you for your replies but i'm totally familiar with Qlik NPrinting Environnement  and the migration tool and everything.

i know what is supported in NPrintng 17 or higher and  what is not 

Best Regards
Yassine Mhadhbi
i_shamaev
Creator
Creator

We started the migration from version 16 to Nprinting Nov 2019. New Nprinting is a very unfinished product. Moreover, printing 16 is much better in performance. 

Ruggero_Piccoli
Support
Support

Hi,

QlikView NPrinting 16 end of life is planned for next March 31th, 2020. After it will no be supported.

QlikView NPrinting 16 is mono-thread and mono-engine instead Qlik NPrinting 17+ (17+ means all versions starting from 17, so 17, 18, 19 and 20) is multi thread and multi-engine. 

If you have performance issues, I suppose your November 2019 installation has something not optimized (maybe it lacks in hardware resources). I suggest you to check it, ask the help of a Qlik partner or open a support ticket. When you speak with them, please explain in details what you means with "printing 16 is much better in performance".

There still are gap features between 16 and 17+ that are documented in https://help.qlik.com/en-US/nprinting/February2020/Content/NPrinting/Introduction/Version-difference...

Best Regards,

Ruggero

Best Regards,
Ruggero
i_shamaev
Creator
Creator

Firstly, NPrinting 5 times slower creates a cache for qlikview application.
Secondly, it is necessary to modify the qlikview of the application (delete triggers, delete alternative states, buttons, etc.) - see https://community.qlik.com/t5/Qlik-NPrinting-Discussions/Nprinting-Feb-2019-amp-QV-12-30-SR2-known-i...
Third, Nprinting does not automatically close connections to a local qlikview document. Does not kill the qv.exe process.
Fourth, there are no jobs (with a sequence of tasks)

Of course, you are great, forcing your clients to be forced to migrate! But maybe explain why the cache is created for a long time and the nprinting 19 is much slower? 😪

i_shamaev
Creator
Creator

And this is only the beginning of the migration process ... I'm afraid to think what will happen next.😖

i_shamaev
Creator
Creator

With the api we finalized our sequence of tasks. Because in fact, we ourselves developed the missing functionality.
But now we came across the terrible performance of the new version of nprinting. It really upsets me.

Did you Have even test your product on large applications? Did you compare performance with version 16?

Of course, you can admire the new platform, but it does not work on productive applications.

Ruggero_Piccoli
Support
Support

Hi,

1. This need to be investigated, I cannot know why you are experiencing a so big performance degrade with the information I have, but I can say that it is strange. Please ask the help of a partner or open a support ticket. You could also open a community conversation but I think the investigation is not feasible via community. Please let us know the results of the investigation.
  2. Triggers, alternate states, always one selected and macros are not supported also in QlikView NPrinting 16 and older versions. You must remove them from the QVWs used as data source for reporting also in 16.
  3. Correct, this is an optimization and it is present also in QlikView NPrinting 16. After creating reports from a .QVW, NPrinting lets a qv.exe process with that  qvw open so next time you generate reports from the same qvw you will not need to wait the qvw opening time. If NPrinting needs resources, because you are asking reports from another qvw, it will automatically close the old qv.exe process. As best practice we suggest to use connections to QlikView Server instead to local documents. If you reload the qvw in Qlik NPrinting 17+ you can trigger a connection cache reload and this will force the kill of all qv.exe processes.
  4. Correct, jobs are not available in Qlik NPrinting 17+. NPrinting 16 can execute only one thing at a time so it needed to set an execution order by the developer. Instead 17+ has internal optimizations to select the best execution strategy and it can work on many things on the same time. This feature could be added on future releases and can be emulated by using APIs.

Best Regards,

Ruggero

Best Regards,
Ruggero