Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
yassinemhadhbi
Creator II
Creator II

Migration of NPrinting 16 to nov 19

Good morning,

We are using NPrinting 16 and i was required to migrate to a newer version (nov 2019).

we have licence and we pay for maintenance and eveything.

can someone give me details about the migration ? how to do it and from where to download the .exe for the nov 2019 version and everything 

Best Regards
Yassine Mhadhbi
Labels (2)
15 Replies
Andrew_Kruger
Employee
Employee

Hello I_Shamaev, I see you have some frustrations in you migration journey - I am sorry to hear that. No debate, they are different products architecturally and migrating from one to the other can involve some challenges. My colleague Ruggero_piccoli has referenced some key resources and offered sound advise, most importantly, where you are having issues please log a support ticket so we can better assist you. I put together the Migration Playbook that my colleague referenced above and will continue to build on this through hearing feedback from customers. As the Product Manager for Qlik NPrinting I welcome constructive feedback on the product and I would love to hear a summary of your experiences - you are welcome to message me via this community. I look forward to hearing from you and I hope you will leverage the support team to review your technical concerns. Kind regards, Andrew

Lech_Miszkiewicz
Partner Ambassador/MVP
Partner Ambassador/MVP

Hi @yassinemhadhbi 

Apologies for my initial assumption. I guess If you are totally familiar with the tool then you know exactly what to do and where to start. Use your qlik account to login to qlik portal and download installers. Migration steps are described in documentation. Given that you know all limitation and not supported objects you would know the best if you are ready to migrate or not and how much effort it will take to do proper migration (both on QlikView side and NPrinting side).

good luck with it.

cheers

Lech

cheers Lech, When applicable please mark the correct/appropriate replies as "solution" (you can mark up to 3 "solutions". Please LIKE threads if the provided solution is helpful to the problem.
Lech_Miszkiewicz
Partner Ambassador/MVP
Partner Ambassador/MVP

Hi @i_shamaev 

I am not Qlik employee nor support and I am not biased by that. I am qlik partner hence I often face many different customers when installing, migrating and providing NPrinting based solutions. 

I can understand your frustrations as I also had similar ones 2 years ago when indeed I think NPrinting was not quite ready yet. However as of now I disagree with most  of your opinions regarding NPrinting. 

First thing you have to realise is that it is not a "next" version of NPrinting 16, so do not expect exactly the same methodology and ways this product works. You have to understand its limitations, reasons behind them but also cherish the strong points like for example: multithreading which was lacking in v16. 

I can also understand your frustrations in lack of built in Job entity - i had similar feelings few years ago, however looking at it now i don't care. There is API available and it give you a lot more flexibility than you ever had with NP16. 

Performance - Indeed qvp connection seems to work slower in new version (in overall 17+ versions). I am going to follow up with Qlik re this and I am hoping I could build a case when this can be replicated. You could also greatly help us by opening support ticket and submitting your case, as you already have a working example of slower report generation (assuming that you have used QVP connection and not local connection). 

This performance topic is quite delicate as a lot depends on how you built your application supporting NPrinting. There is a lot you can do to improve performance and based on my experience 99% of issues come from lack of knowledge or even simple negligence when objects are not minimized, where there is syntax in expressions which could be improved, where there are expressions in captions, where there is a lot "=" sign variables in model etc etc...There is a lot what could be done and it is usually developers mistake.

thank you for your insights and good luck!

cheers Lech, When applicable please mark the correct/appropriate replies as "solution" (you can mark up to 3 "solutions". Please LIKE threads if the provided solution is helpful to the problem.
i_shamaev
Creator
Creator

Hello!
We started working with a partner.
Bug Id QV-18964
and Case 01931902
We received several recommendations, including updating to February 2020.

yassinemhadhbi
Creator II
Creator II
Author

Hi @i_shamaev 

Let me hear about your feedbacks about Feb 2020 version

Best Regards
Yassine Mhadhbi