Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
pradosh_thakur
Master II
Master II

N printing on demand flexibility

Hi

please let me know the following about the on demand feature of N printing

1: If the user size is more than is it a good option to go to ?

2: Let say 5 person ran different on demand report at a time is the execution parallel or one after another like in a queue ?

3: Which one is faster scheduling report or on demand?

4: is there is any drawback of using on demand.

5: The flexibility of on demand feature?

We just started using on demand and these are the question we are being asked by customers. I tried to search these but cant get a full proof answer.

lech_miszkiewicz

regards

Pradosh

Learning never stops.
2 Replies
Lech_Miszkiewicz
Partner Ambassador/MVP
Partner Ambassador/MVP

Hi,

I don't have much experience in OnDemand functionality. I see its benefits but also drawbacks:

Benefits:

• It gives users flexibility to apply they own filters and selections so they can easily produce customised (based on filters) reports. In my opinion this is the bigges benefit.
  • If data in Qlik is frequently refreshed it gives possibility to get more fresh report than scheduled ones
  • there can be one big benefit - if you need to run reports for many users (say 50 + with user filters). If there is small group of users (say 5 out of those 50) who actually need report - you will not have to run report for 45 other users which will save a lot of time

Drawback:

To be frank there is few:

• I would not allow users to run reports which put a lot of preasure on Qlik server as a main calculation engine for report results. That beeing said you have no control over how often users will trigger reports and if those reports are actualy necessary at the time when they are triggered. Also you probably have to make sure that Qlik application is small and runs fast
  • As there is no pattern you cannot predict how much stress you will have on both Qlik and NPrinitng servers

Now down to your questions - i will not be able to answer many of them as they probably cannot be answered, but i will try to do my best:

1: If the user size is more than is it a good option to go to ?

Number of users is not important. I think the most important thing is to ask what kind of reports those users will generate, on what hardware, with QlikView or QlikSense, how often and why and if those reports can be scheduled. What is the main benefit for the user to have this OnDemand functionality?

2: Let say 5 person ran different on demand report at a time is the execution parallel or one after another like in a queue ?

I can imagine that you can check this by observing server task execution tab and triggering reports by yourself (or maybe i am wrong as i do not have an access to on demand functionality now)

3: Which one is faster scheduling report or on demand?

It depends - each scenario is individual and i will not discuss this. If we are talking about scheduled report running output for say 5 users with particular filters vs 5 users running OnDemand tasks as independent tasks with the same filters i would say that scheduled task will be better. (again i can be wrong since i have not tested it)

4: is there is any drawback of using on demand.

described above my concerns

5: The flexibility of on demand feature?

as it says - on demand and with selections chosen by user

cheers

Lech

cheers Lech, When applicable please mark the correct/appropriate replies as "solution" (you can mark up to 3 "solutions". Please LIKE threads if the provided solution is helpful to the problem.
pradosh_thakur
Master II
Master II
Author

Thanks Lech

Very helpful. I tried the task execution tab but on demand reports(task) execution don't show up here.

Feel free to tag if you know anyone who could give more insights.

Learning never stops.