Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
fionna51
Creator
Creator

NP17 - how to abort tasks?

Hi,

I am working on migrating NP16 reports to 17, when I first tried running a task, it keeps running overnight.

In fact, our application has section access, users can only see their own data. At the beginning after I created the new report with all filters and objects in np17, I wanted to test via Preview. However in NP16, I could open the qvw first, and only select one user data and preview. Now in NP17, the app was not opened, and after 10 minutes I got a pop up telling me that I had to run via task. I successfully import only one user, so I tried to run publish task only for this user. Then the task never ends. Anything could be wrong? I think maybe the section access cause problem?

Anybody knows how to abort current task? Thanks a lot.

12 Replies
fionna51
Creator
Creator
Author

I have more questions now.

My app with section access, I set up the connection by using an admin accounts. Now I am working on report and want to preview, and seems the preview doesn't work. I guess it was because of section access, if I have to use this admin account to run preview? What is the purpose for web console then?

In addition, no matter preview or running by task, every time it just gone without any error message, when can I retrieve log?

Thanks a lot.

Lech_Miszkiewicz
Partner Ambassador/MVP
Partner Ambassador/MVP

Hi,

1. Abort Task - If you  are running NPrinting June 2017 (erlier versions do not support it) click on - Report-Validation link, this will open new window. If task is still running you will se "Abort" button there.
  2. Managing NPrinting - well NPrinting is not a tool where you can just jump on without training and start working. You have to pay attention to many small details especialy on how to create connection when using section access. I suggest you try with small application with test simple data only so you learn faster and dont kill server .
    1. regarding section access - did you add NPrinting service account to Section Access list? is it setup as an admin? Does it have access to ALL records from Qlik app.

Regarding preview when developing as one of users and section access - this is also interesting topic and i never heard explanation how it should work. I am curious how NPrinting will generate preview when i am developer (User: Lech) which has access to only part of Qlik data.

(lets say connection is created  with section access credentials for admin nprinting user (all data) and with checkbox (filter data using user section access)

rpc - can you explain how it will work? I am happy to evaluate if needed.

regards

Lech

cheers Lech, When applicable please mark the correct/appropriate replies as "solution" (you can mark up to 3 "solutions". Please LIKE threads if the provided solution is helpful to the problem.
fionna51
Creator
Creator
Author

Hi Lech,

I removed most of my report slides, only left cover page (there are only 3 qlikview variables in this slide). Yes the preview opened. Even this way I still have some questions. My connection is used admin account in SA part and can see all records of application. However, our report is designed for each user, when user login, he can only see his only entity data through the whole app.

In NP 16, when preview,  I would open the app first by using an Admin account, and manually select a typical entity I want to test, then run the preview. If I did not make this manual selection, the report would not crush, but it will try to show all entities but looks messy. In NP 17, I tried to add an entity as filter to report in order to only view this entity data, for now it seems not working, will keep trying.

And, when I was doing development Edit template in NP 16, I have to use an Admin account to Connection in order to Preview. When admin run task on server for all users, I need to change the connection with empty username/pw. Otherwise I will get error message. I am not sure how NP 17 works, now I got preview working but the publish task with section access seems not. (Just show running forever).

Ruggero_Piccoli
Support
Support

In all previews (all, not only the ones with Section Access), Qlik NPrinting appyes the report filters and the filters of the user who is running the Qlik NPrinting Designer. Of course, task filter are not applied because in a template preview there are not tasks involved.

When you run a preview of a report template:

*** that uses a QlikView connection

- if the check box "Connection requires authentication" is not flagged the preview process uses the Windows user who is running the Qlik NPrinting Engine Windows service

- if the check box "Connection requires authentication" is flagged and the check box "Apply user section access for reports" is not flagged the preview process uses the Identy specified in the connection

- if the check box "Connection requires authentication" and the check box "Apply user section access for reports" are both flagged the preview process uses the Windows domain user logged. The user who is running the Qlik NPrinting Designer

*** that uses a Qlik Sense connection (note that Qlik Sense connections always require authentication)

- if the check box "Connection requires authentication" is flagged and the check box "Apply user section access for reports" is not flagged the preview process uses the Identy specified in the connection

- if the check box "Connection requires authentication" and the check box "Apply user section access for reports" are both flagged the preview process uses the Windows domain user logged. The user who is running the Qlik NPrinting Designer

Best Regards,

Ruggero

---------------------------------------------

When applicable please mark the appropriate replies as CORRECT. This will help community members and Qlik Employees know which discussions have already been addressed and have a possible known solution. Please mark threads as HELPFUL if the provided solution is helpful to the problem, but does not necessarily solve the indicated problem. You can mark multiple threads as HELPFUL if you feel additional info is useful to others.

Best Regards,
Ruggero
When applicable please mark the appropriate replies as CORRECT. This will help community members and Qlik Employees know which discussions have already been addressed and have a possible known solution. Please mark threads with a LIKE if the provided solution is helpful to the problem, but does not necessarily solve the indicated problem. You can mark multiple threads with LIKEs if you feel additional info is useful to others.
Lech_Miszkiewicz
Partner Ambassador/MVP
Partner Ambassador/MVP

Great answer and explanation Ruggero - Thank you!

Is this information available somewhere in help document or is it just a "hidden treasure" at the moment ?

have a nice weekend!

cheers

Lech

cheers Lech, When applicable please mark the correct/appropriate replies as "solution" (you can mark up to 3 "solutions". Please LIKE threads if the provided solution is helpful to the problem.
fionna51
Creator
Creator
Author

Hi Ruggero,

Your explanation is pretty clear, thank you very much. I am new to NP 17 and still need to discover a lot of details. In your comments of Qlikview connection, you selected Type Server so that can get "Apply user section access for reports" etc. Usually we put QV document for NPrinting report in a folder, and I tried type Local all the way. Does it mean user section access only works when QV document is published on server? I took screenshot below, could you please explain the highlighted two options? I want to use username to identify user, should I select Document authentication?

In addition, what is the user <Domain>? Is that the NTNAME we built in QVW section access? All our users are external of our organization.

Ruggero_Piccoli
Support
Support

At the moment it is an "hidden treasure" but at the same time I posted this message here I sent it to the documentation team with the suggestion to add these info in the official help site.

So they will be "officially" available, but I don't know when 🙂

Best Regards,
Ruggero
When applicable please mark the appropriate replies as CORRECT. This will help community members and Qlik Employees know which discussions have already been addressed and have a possible known solution. Please mark threads with a LIKE if the provided solution is helpful to the problem, but does not necessarily solve the indicated problem. You can mark multiple threads with LIKEs if you feel additional info is useful to others.
Ruggero_Piccoli
Support
Support

I suggest to connect to a QlikView server but if you want to use a local connection you can flag the check box "Connection requires authentication" and insert section access credentials.

Domain is the Windows domain of the user you use to authenticate. There are a lot of details about this in the official help site. I would to suggest you to check it because it is a complex topic 🙂

Best,

Ruggero

Best Regards,
Ruggero
fionna51
Creator
Creator
Author

Thanks for your suggestion, I will do more research on this.