Defect acknowledgement with Nprinting Engine May 2022 SR2, please READ HERE
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
fionna51
Creator
Creator

NP17 - running task with section access never ends.

Hi,

My Qlikview app contains section access and in NP17 the connection was created by using Admin username. I can run Preview which can see all data (Admin SA). But when I tried to publish to one user, the task is running forever. I guess there is still some issue in section access. This user should only see his own entity data when login. I tried to open the app directly by using this user's username, everything looks fine.

I am really confused about the setting of the Connection, if according to documents it should use an Admin account, when this Admin account runs publish task to all users with section access, will it still work? I only kept a cover page in my report for testing, and it never ends. In fact I need each user login by their own username.

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Lech_Miszkiewicz
Partner Ambassador/MVP
Partner Ambassador/MVP

Hi Fion.

Explain what do you need a section access for in NPrinting? How do you want to levarage its functionality!???

In NP16 section access was only a gate to open a document and it was NOT used to do data reduction for end users \ recipients. Data was only reduced to records available for service account user!

In NP17 you have differnet approach (and you cannot refer to NP 16 in here)

• DOMAIN Account can be used to apply users section access on NPrinting reports ( instead of creating filters) This means that without filters each user, recipient, even developer will only see records which are associated with his account. There is no other way than using Domain account to achieve this!!!
    • I am also suspecting (and Ruggero can probably confirm this), that you need to use qvp connection to achieve this as qlikview server will have to validate domain accounts!

I hope it is bit clearer now for you.

regards

Lech

cheers Lech, When applicable please mark the correct/appropriate replies as "solution" (you can mark up to 3 "solutions". Please LIKE threads if the provided solution is helpful to the problem.

View solution in original post

5 Replies
fionna51
Creator
Creator
Author

Now I got some progress the task could run. But section access is still not working, it distributed all data to each user which is wrong, not like in NP16 for every user it close and reopen the QV document with new user login. Please advise how to set up task with section access, thank you very much.

Lech_Miszkiewicz
Partner Ambassador/MVP
Partner Ambassador/MVP

Hi

1. First of all we cannot compare NP16 and NP17 as NP16 did not support section access at all.
  2. Could you please provide a snapshot of your connection settings
  3. Could you please confirm that NPrinting Service Account is embeded in your Qlik section access logic and it is actually a domain account
  4. Could you please confirm that all users are having domain account created in NPrinting user list (as this is the only way how section access data reduction can work in NPrinting). This is the part of user/recipient information where you have to provide Domain and UserId

once you confirm above we can go further.

cheers

Lech

cheers Lech, When applicable please mark the correct/appropriate replies as "solution" (you can mark up to 3 "solutions". Please LIKE threads if the provided solution is helpful to the problem.
fionna51
Creator
Creator
Author

Hi Lech,

Thank you very much  for the feedback. I saw you already replied Ruggero's comments in my another thread (link below).

https://community.qlik.com/message/1324229?et=watches.email.thread#1324229

I am not so clear if we should only use domain account. In our current NP report, we only use username. BTW, we have used NP 16 with section access since last Jan, it works pretty good. In fact, our QV document does build domain account, but for NPrinting we modified SA part to just use username. We have two tabs of SA switch between normal reporting and NPrinting.

Lech_Miszkiewicz
Partner Ambassador/MVP
Partner Ambassador/MVP

Hi Fion.

Explain what do you need a section access for in NPrinting? How do you want to levarage its functionality!???

In NP16 section access was only a gate to open a document and it was NOT used to do data reduction for end users \ recipients. Data was only reduced to records available for service account user!

In NP17 you have differnet approach (and you cannot refer to NP 16 in here)

• DOMAIN Account can be used to apply users section access on NPrinting reports ( instead of creating filters) This means that without filters each user, recipient, even developer will only see records which are associated with his account. There is no other way than using Domain account to achieve this!!!
    • I am also suspecting (and Ruggero can probably confirm this), that you need to use qvp connection to achieve this as qlikview server will have to validate domain accounts!

I hope it is bit clearer now for you.

regards

Lech

fionna51
Creator
Creator
Author

Hi Lech,

This is really pretty clear for me, thanks for your explanation. I did a lot of testing and really understand what you mentioned.

I think you already know what I need based on your explanation, thanks. Yes, my need is the one you explained in NP 17 by user Domain Account. (However we did it in NP 16 as well by opening document which you mentioned in NP 16. The trick is in connection setup. Anyway we can forget about NP16 now.)

The only reason I refer to NP16 is we used qvw document in a folder instead of publish on server, and in NP17 I also tried to user Type Local. You are also suspection Local might not work for domain accounts. So probably now I have two options to apply/imitate Section Access:

1. Local connection with user filters. (already worked)

2. qvp connection with Domain account. (working on this)

I cannot agree more with you that we need a confirmation that Local connection would not support Apply User Section access.