Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
eoinboylan
Partner - Contributor III

NPrinting 16.6 SR6 Compatibility

Hi!

I think I might already know the answer to this, but I can't find a definitive list of which versions of QlikView are supported by NPrinting 16.6 SR6, which our client has installed.  I can see a few mentions of it being compatible with 12.10 SR4 or later, but am unsure how late 'or later' refers to.

The client I am working with recently upgraded to QlikView April 2019 from November 2018 and now on-demand reports appear to be hanging in queues and not generating.  

Does anyone know if this should still be compatible or if it will be necessary to upgrade?

Many thanks in advance!

Eoin

Labels (2)
10 Replies
Ruggero_Piccoli
Support
Support

Hi,

Check this page https://community.qlik.com/t5/Qlik-NPrinting-Documents/Requirements-for-QlikView-NPrinting-16-x-x-x-...

If you have issue with On-Demand please post more details.

QlikView NPrinting 16.6 added the official support for:

Support for QlikView 11.20 SR16
Qlik NPrinting 16.6 officially supports QlikView 11.20 SR16.
Support for QlikView 12.10 SR4
Qlik NPrinting 16.6 officially supports QlikView 12.10 SR4.

Best Regards,

Ruggero

Best Regards,
Ruggero
---------------------------------------------
When applicable please mark the appropriate replies as CORRECT. This will help community members and Qlik Employees know which discussions have already been addressed and have a possible known solution. Please mark threads with a LIKE if the provided solution is helpful to the problem, but does not necessarily solve the indicated problem. You can mark multiple threads with LIKEs if you feel additional info is useful to others.
eoinboylan
Author

Hi Ruggero,

Thanks for your response.

With regards to On Demand, I'm no longer sure that this is a compatibility issue.  The reports that are hanging appear to have run correctly multiple times after the upgrade took place.  Instead it looks like NPrinting Server is hanging after opening the .nsq file related to the report, the log stops on Message Run Task: 

The next step is to open the .qvw, however this does not appear to happen.  I had originally thought this was due to compatibility between versions, however in the previous successful runs the log provides info regarding version:

Service 20/05/2019 10:00:31 Information QlikView version: 12.40.20000+2019-04-26 16:50:40+80da1fe

I hope this sheds some light.

Many thanks,

Eoin

Ruggero_Piccoli
Support
Support

Hi,

QlikView 12.40 is not officially certified on QlikView NPrinting. I don't know if this could be the reason.

I also suggest you to upgrade to QlikView NPrinting 16.9 that is the latest available and try again.

If you are still having the issue we need all the information we need to be able to reproduce it.

Best Regards,

Ruggero

Best Regards,
Ruggero
When applicable please mark the appropriate replies as CORRECT. This will help community members and Qlik Employees know which discussions have already been addressed and have a possible known solution. Please mark threads with a LIKE if the provided solution is helpful to the problem, but does not necessarily solve the indicated problem. You can mark multiple threads with LIKEs if you feel additional info is useful to others.
eoinboylan
Author

Thanks Ruggero!

We are running both QlikView Server 12.40 and QlikView Desktop 12.40.

Currently we generate a report that is populated using fields taken from a .qvw.  When we hit generate with one record selected the fields for this record should populate the report.

As previously stated, NPrinting server appears to be struggling to open the .qvw file in Desktop.  Earlier on I was able to generate a preview in NPrinting designer but now I'm not, which is strange.  

Any further detail needed, please let me know.

Many thanks,

Eoin

Ruggero_Piccoli
Support
Support

Hi,

Check that the QlikView Desktop has a valid license, personal edition is not supported. 

Try to open the same .qvw directly by using QlikView Desktop, it must work without any issue.

Do you see some specific error messages?

Best Regards,

Ruggero

Best Regards,
Ruggero
eoinboylan
Author

Hi Ruggero,

Thanks for getting back to me.  It is a licensed version of Desktop, and I can open the .qvw in it without any errors.  

I can bring produce previews using NPrinting Designer with selections in the .qvw open in Desktop, which appears to open apps correctly and generates pdfs.

However, I have noticed that during these previews, NPrinting is not using the app I have open to base its selections on, but is instead re-opening the app in Desktop.  I then have to make the selections in the app NPrinting Designer rather than the ones I had selected.  I have checked, and both the app I have open and the app Designer opens are from the same path.  Is it possible that this same behaviour is causing the Access Point / Desktop issue?

Many thanks,

Eoin

Ruggero_Piccoli
Support
Support

Hi,

Yes, it is correct. QlikView NPrinting uses the QlikView Desktop APIs and it open a new QlikView Desktop every time it creates report. Then QlikView NPrinting applies the needed filter in the new QlikView Desktop and export the resulting dataset used to populate the created report. 

When running a report via On-Demand it is the same on the QlikView NPrinting server. You can log into it via RPD anche see the QlikView Desktop working.

I can suggest you to check the logs or to open a support ticket so a support guy can analyze your environment. 

Here https://community.qlik.com/t5/Qlik-NPrinting-Documents/QlikView-NPrinting-16-Tutorials-On-Demand/ta-... you can find all the official documentation about QlikView NPrinting 16 On-Demand. Be sure your installation met all the requirements. 

Based on the information I read I have no other suggestions.

Best Regards,

Ruggero

Best Regards,
Ruggero
eoinboylan
Author

Thanks Ruggero.  I've checked all the requirements in that link and I appear to satisfy them all. 

I'll open a support ticket and will update this post with a resolution if one is found.

Thanks again,

Eoin

eoinboylan
Author

As an update, Qlik advised that NPrinting 16.6 was no longer supported (even though officially it does not cease support until March 2020) and insisted migrating to 17 or above was the only way to resolve this.

Upgrading has allowed the On Demand reports to run without queuing .