cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
christygobar
Contributor II
Contributor II

NPrinting 17 Cycle Field through Multiple Reports

In NPrinting 16, I could cycle through a field (Geography) and create individual Excel reports to a destination folder.

I do not find this functionality in the new v17 - only the ability to create filters.

Using "Page" in the template editor does not get my needs covered, as I need an individual Excel file rather than Excel tabs.

Any assistance?

Thanks!

43 Replies
Lech_Miszkiewicz
Partner Ambassador/MVP
Partner Ambassador/MVP

Hi Ajaj

June 2017 does not have "cycle" feature. There is not clear declaration when this will be implemented - it has been said that it is on roadmap - that is it.

Also waiting patiently for this feature!

cheers

Lech

cheers Lech, When applicable please mark the correct/appropriate replies as "solution" (you can mark up to 3 "solutions". Please LIKE threads if the provided solution is helpful to the problem.
itec_pao
Partner - Creator
Partner - Creator

Hi,

in my post from 02.05.2017 I have already described it a little bit. Here is how it goes:

- If you want to distribute to folders based on country (folder name would be country names), your recipient would be countries with the filter of the country name.

- You wouldn't require cycling if you are using NPrinting 17, and just put the recipients in the task. Then each folder would get the relating country report.

- In order to control, which sales rep can access each folder, I might also have an allocation of salesrep to country information. With ACL (access control list) in Windows as a batch script, you can then define the rights who can access the relating folder. I have exported the salesrep to country allocation as csv from QlikView, which then is handled by the ACL batch script (you can find many script examples when you search for "acl script folder rights".

Regards,

Oktay

Qlik-Blog

jstemig1
Contributor II
Contributor II

Looks like the 17.5 September 2017 release includes this Cycle functionality, apparently this "was a gap feature from Qlik NPrinting 16."

Release notes -

Qlik NPrinting September 2017 is now available

dadumas
Creator II
Creator II

Stephen,

We have done everything the doc says to enable output to separate folders, via creating users, etc, but it just does not work.  I consider this a bug at this point.  If it's indeed a bug, can you reply to that affect?  Very frustrating.

Dave

Lech_Miszkiewicz
Partner Ambassador/MVP
Partner Ambassador/MVP

Hi David,

works for me so i guess there is still something wrong with your setup.

I am on the November 2017 version and soon moving to Feb 2018 version. 

How do you define your custom/dedicated folders?

Maybe provide some screenshots of what you are doing so we can help you more - your description it is bit wage and i don't understand what you are trying to do.

thanks

Lech

cheers Lech, When applicable please mark the correct/appropriate replies as "solution" (you can mark up to 3 "solutions". Please LIKE threads if the provided solution is helpful to the problem.
dadumas
Creator II
Creator II

I was told by a senior consultant at a top Qlik partner (who worked hours on my app) that this functionality is only available when nPrinting users are setup as domain users.  That's unfortunate.  There should be restriction on a "user" this way.  On a separate note, multiple folder distribution should be available when using the cycle option.  It used to work in v16 (I used it), but that useful option was removed in v17.

Ruggero_Piccoli
Support
Support

Hi,

Cycling is available in recent versions of Qlik NPrinting 17 Cycling your reports ‒ Qlik NPrinting and it is not necessary that users are Domain users.

Cycles save all the files in the same folder.

Best Regards,

Ruggero

---------------------------------------------

When applicable please mark the appropriate replies as CORRECT. This will help community members and Qlik Employees know which discussions have already been addressed and have a possible known solution. Please mark threads as HELPFUL if the provided solution is helpful to the problem, but does not necessarily solve the indicated problem. You can mark multiple threads as HELPFUL if you feel additional info is useful to others.

Best Regards,
Ruggero
When applicable please mark the appropriate replies as CORRECT. This will help community members and Qlik Employees know which discussions have already been addressed and have a possible known solution. Please mark threads with a LIKE if the provided solution is helpful to the problem, but does not necessarily solve the indicated problem. You can mark multiple threads with LIKEs if you feel additional info is useful to others.
dadumas
Creator II
Creator II

Yes, I know.  cycling was also available in v16.  I used to use it, as it also had the very useful advantage of creating multiple folders.  That useful feature no longer works in Version 17.  I need to store reports in separate folders.  The design that was implemented in v17 was to force users to be domain users, for some reason.  I do not have the  option to create 40+ domain users to simply to accommodate that  forced design.  So, it is now impossible for me to save out to separate folders.

Ruggero_Piccoli
Support
Support

Hi David,

First of all to use report cycles or folder as destinations it is not mandatory to use domain users. The information that domain users are mandatory is related to other features. Maybe the senior consultant was speaking about the Windows domain user that runs the Qlik NPrinting Windows Services. Refer to User accounts ‒ Qlik NPrinting . ‌‌This means to create a limited number of domain users.

If you are speaking about users that need to receive reports, they can be associated with their domain accounts to simplify the login process. Users ‒ Qlik NPrinting‌ but it is not mandatory.

To dynamically create new folder where to store generated reports you can define folders as destination Distributing reports to folders ‒ Qlik NPrinting

If this doesn't help you please explain your goal in details.

Best Regards,

Ruggero

When applicable please mark the appropriate replies as CORRECT. This will help community members and Qlik Employees know which discussions have already been addressed and have a possible known solution. Please mark threads as HELPFUL if the provided solution is helpful to the problem, but does not necessarily solve the indicated problem. You can mark multiple threads as HELPFUL if you feel additional info is useful to others.

Best Regards,
Ruggero
When applicable please mark the appropriate replies as CORRECT. This will help community members and Qlik Employees know which discussions have already been addressed and have a possible known solution. Please mark threads with a LIKE if the provided solution is helpful to the problem, but does not necessarily solve the indicated problem. You can mark multiple threads with LIKEs if you feel additional info is useful to others.
dadumas
Creator II
Creator II

Regarding:

To dynamically create new folder where to store generated reports you can define folders as destination Distributing reports to folders ‒ Qlik NPrinting

This simply does not work. The senior consultant followed every single step from that link.  The senior consultant tried it maybe 20 times?  Each time to no avail.

The only thing that works is cycling.  So, when I output now, I format the name of the report to include the company for which it is for.  Since the previous v16 great feature was deprecated to cycle to different folders, which actually worked, we will now have to now use windows batch scripts to extract those files, parsing the report names, and place common company prefixes in separate folders. Also, since nPrinting will not merge separate PDFs together, we have to use another tool to do that.  Again, this has all been verified by a senior consultant at one of the most respected Qlik partners.