Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
pover
Luminary Alumni
Luminary Alumni

NPrinting 17 Excel Import Template

Hello everyone,

I've been testing the user, filter and group import in NPrinting 17 and I thought I'd share the Excel that I using to do that.  I created it based on the information available in the help documentation (Importing users with filters and groups ‒ QlikView NPrinting)‌.

Hopefully it'll save you some time if you are doing the same.

BTW everything seems to import properly except of the Locale.  Also, if you want to update the filters that are assigned to a user, you have to delete the user first.

Feel free to add your own comments and improvements to the file.

Best, Karl

30 Replies
Not applicable

Hi Karl,

Thanks for the template. I've been testing NP 17 using this template and here are my findings:

1. filters are not associated to user automatically, I had to manually assign the filter to the user

2. Every time the import task is run, the manually assigned filters are removed. Hence, had to reassign all over again.

3. When I update the field name in the 'Values' column, the import task will create a new field for that filter, instead of replacing it.

Are these normal behaviour or am I doing something wrong.

Regards,

Bernard

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi KarlPover,

I observed almost same thing. Below is what is my requirement and the solution that I tried.

My requirement was to send a PDF report each for department to the department's manager to his/her email. To do so, I create three tables each for Filters, Users and Groups in my QV App, Created an excel report task to export an excel to a folder in a format that Nprinting understands to import users.

I then, create an Import task to import Filters, Users and Groups using the file created as an output of the above task. But as mentioned, the only thing that didn't work was Filters with Users. When the user is not already available, user is imported fine with proper filter. However, once the user is added, its not just that filters are not being modified or updated, but the existing filters on that user too are removed. Please suggest if any one has fix to this !

On Locale, Nprinting needs two character code for the Locale, e.g. Es, En, Fr, De etc.Using this way, it worked for me. Hope that helps !

Best,

Hardik

pover
Luminary Alumni
Luminary Alumni
Author

Hi Bernard,

I ended up pausing my test of NPrinting 17 until the new SR comes out.  An reported error that prevented me from sending updated reports (NPrinting 17: scheduler doesn't pick up qvw update‌), so I'm sorry to say that I don't have the test environment to test what you are seeing.  What you're seeing also sounds like some quirks or missing functionality in this initial release.  I would definitely report it to Qlik support if you haven't done so already.

I like where NPrinting is going so I'm anxiously waiting for the next SR to get back to testing it.

Karl

pover
Luminary Alumni
Luminary Alumni
Author

Thanks for the info on the Locale.  If you have any update on the users and filters, I would be glad to hear about it.  Otherwise, when the new SR comes out and I get to testing it again, if I see a way to fix it, I'll share it.

Karl

Frank_S
Support
Support

NP 17 SR 1 is now available

NPrinting 17.0 Service Release available now!

Please remember hit the 'Like' button and for helpful answers and resolutions, click on the 'Accept As Solution' button. Cheers!
Not applicable

Did you ever figure out why this was happening Hardik? I am running into the same issue, which is causing me to completely give up on NPrinting 17 currently...

Thanks!

Not applicable

There is any template to import users to 17 SR1?

Stephen_Jasionowski

There is an example in a zip file on the help site. See the bottom of this page: http://help.qlik.com/en-US/nprinting/17.0/Content/Recipients&Users/ImportUsersFiltersGroups/Import-U...

jacob_hoffmann
Partner - Contributor III
Partner - Contributor III

Qlik NPrinting 17.2 has been available for some time, but I do not see any improvements in this area of the product.

My conclusions are:

Filters will only associate with users if the user is new. This must be a bug in the import batch. I don't know a solution, but I do use a work-a-round with care:

1. Delete all users which need filters refreshed. You need to do it manually in the Admin menu.
    Beware that this will empty the NewsStand repository for selected users!!!
    (I have tried to create an "Import task" which only contained the system administrators, and where I selected "Remove recipients if not present in import file". This should clean your user repository - BUT IT DIDN'T)

2. Secondly create or use the "Import task" where you import Filters, Users, and Groups. This will build the repository the way you intended, and users and filters will again be associated.

I hope it helps or gives you an idea that you're not alone in the dark, while we wait for a proper solution from Qlik. I would expect more from a solution which is branded with words like "Enterprise"

@Qlik where do you want the bug reports? If I do this directly with you, no one else will learn.