cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
dirkoomscegeka
Partner - Contributor II
Partner - Contributor II

NPrinting 17 - Levels on fields or charts with empty values when cycling

How to skip sections/levels in the report if for a given cyclic value there are no related values?

Struggling with this for some time now;

I have a build a perfectly working report but when I enable cycling on customer it fails because there are levels created for which some customers have no value.

Simplified example using QV12 and NP17 - September 2017:

Source Data:

Name Ordernumber InvoiceID
CustA245624555643
CustA245624565432
CustA623452355643
CustA623452365432
CustB 00009
CustB 66535
CustC

NPrinting Report:

When cycling is disabled it shows me one report with the list of invoices and the list of orders without any errors.

If I enable cycling on the customer field I get an error.  (Can not handle void...)

I tried the same with using the invoice chart and the order chart as level and got a different error (specified cast not valid).

Desired result is to see a report for each customer, where if there are invoices I see "Invoice list" with the invoices and if there are no invoices this section is skipped.

Thanks in advance for any reply's or tips how to handle this.

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
dirkoomscegeka
Partner - Contributor II
Partner - Contributor II
Author

Found a solution for this I'd like to share;

You can link a 'formatting rule' in the property tab of a detail report inside your report.

Making this detail report invisible based on a Formula!  

Set default 'visible = no, create formatting rule with a condition 'vShowChart = 1' or something and set in this rule the visible property to yes

Once this is done I made sure my charts and fields used in the sublevels both have no null values and no empty charts when cycling. (displaying 0 or ' ')

In my case the source qvw is only used to source the report so for me it was not a problem to have 0 lines or ' ' values in the charts in the qvw report, because they will be hidden in the NPrinting reports.

View solution in original post

5 Replies
Lech_Miszkiewicz
Partner Ambassador/MVP
Partner Ambassador/MVP

Create a Chart with values, suppres null and zero values for it and use chart in Level node instead of field..

thats it.

regards

Lech

cheers Lech, When applicable please mark the correct/appropriate replies as "solution" (you can mark up to 3 "solutions". Please LIKE threads if the provided solution is helpful to the problem.
dirkoomscegeka
Partner - Contributor II
Partner - Contributor II
Author

I tried exactly that at first.  That's giving me the Specified cast is not valid.

See my charts below when filtered on one of the customers who does not have invoices & orders;

As soon as I add these charts to my report levels, the error pops up when clicking (html) preview.

Lech_Miszkiewicz
Partner Ambassador/MVP
Partner Ambassador/MVP

Ok i got it - you are right as you still use CYCLE functionality on FIELD to create reports for each cutomer..

Well i would create an aggregate amount in script and flag customers with amout > 0, or even create dedicated Customer DImension only for Customers with Amount > 0 and cycle through this additional dimension

cheers

Lech

cheers Lech, When applicable please mark the correct/appropriate replies as "solution" (you can mark up to 3 "solutions". Please LIKE threads if the provided solution is helpful to the problem.
dirkoomscegeka
Partner - Contributor II
Partner - Contributor II
Author

You got the problem correct Lech,

But thing is, I do not want to skip customers without orders. I want to create a report for each customer, displaying his invoices. And if there are orders, add a list of the orders on that same report.

Only solution I see is to use a report for customers with orders and a report for customers without orders. And use some dedicated field to cycle through each set of customers.

But I'm hoping there is a better approach.

Thx already,
Dirk

dirkoomscegeka
Partner - Contributor II
Partner - Contributor II
Author

Found a solution for this I'd like to share;

You can link a 'formatting rule' in the property tab of a detail report inside your report.

Making this detail report invisible based on a Formula!  

Set default 'visible = no, create formatting rule with a condition 'vShowChart = 1' or something and set in this rule the visible property to yes

Once this is done I made sure my charts and fields used in the sublevels both have no null values and no empty charts when cycling. (displaying 0 or ' ')

In my case the source qvw is only used to source the report so for me it was not a problem to have 0 lines or ' ' values in the charts in the qvw report, because they will be hidden in the NPrinting reports.