Announcements
Defect acknowledgement with Nprinting Engine May 2022 SR2, please READ HERE
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous
Not applicable

[NPrinting] All Qlik Sense Engines are reachable from the Qlik NPrinting Engine computers

Hi,

I know that as a requirement it is necessary that both computers be in the same domain, but I would like to know how the export of certificates works, since this is the main problem, because this client have both servers on AWS with no domain.
When the certificates are exported in Qlik Sense, the FQDN must be set, but for these cases, which are servers without domain, the short name of the server is the same as the FQDN (maybe idk). I think that the message is because that name is not found from outside the network, that is, it is a local name. Should I use the public IP when exporting the certificates?

Regards,

Luis Andrade

Qlik NPrinting Qlik Sense 

Labels (2)
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Lech_Miszkiewicz
Partner Ambassador/MVP
Partner Ambassador/MVP

Hi,

You have answered your question by stating: ".....I know that as a requirement it is necessary that both computers be in the same domain, ....

When the certificates are exported in Qlik Sense, the FQDN must be set, but for these cases, which are servers without domain, the short name of the server is the same as the FQDN (maybe idk). I think that the message is because that name is not found from outside the network, that is, it is a local name. Should I use the public IP when exporting the certificates?...."

Supported solution would require you to create a domain (also in AWS) and put both servers within this domain. What your client has is just not supported and don't expect it to work at all. 

Not only that, but also NPrinting service account need to be a domain user belonging to the same domain as both servers - which is another requirement and in your case will not be met... In my opinion it is waste of time trying to get unsupported configuration working. I have been there, I have done that and .... I know it is waste of time as you will run into so many other problems later that will just pile up. 

Creating domain obviously should be thought about before everything was installed.. In this case you can play with IPs etc... but at the end it is still not supported. You will have issues like: reports running ok one day, and not running another day, You will not be able to configure OnDemand nor use API properly... you may have issues with connections.. list can go long...

Obviously there is nothing stopping you from trying to run unsupported configuration, but then dont expect to have documentation on that, right? My answer seem to be little off the topic, but I hope you understand that this is not how NPrinting works, hence no point talking about ip addresses used as certificates host names... also remember that when exporting certificates you are actually putting NPrinitng host name as FQDN....https://help.qlik.com/en-US/nprinting/November2020/Content/NPrinting/DeployingQVNprinting/NPrinting-...

My advice is: 

• get all requirements from https://help.qlik.com and present it to your client. I can see you are also a partner so if you have no experience in setting up AWS environment for QS and NPrinitng then contact your Qlik account manager and they will help you with this.

The above will save you a lot of time and trouble in the future as supporting unsupported configuration is not really possible - you have no Qlik support then and you are on your own...

cheers Lech, When applicable please mark the correct/appropriate replies as "solution" (you can mark up to 3 "solutions". Please LIKE threads if the provided solution is helpful to the problem.

View solution in original post

6 Replies
Lech_Miszkiewicz
Partner Ambassador/MVP
Partner Ambassador/MVP

Hi,

You have answered your question by stating: ".....I know that as a requirement it is necessary that both computers be in the same domain, ....

When the certificates are exported in Qlik Sense, the FQDN must be set, but for these cases, which are servers without domain, the short name of the server is the same as the FQDN (maybe idk). I think that the message is because that name is not found from outside the network, that is, it is a local name. Should I use the public IP when exporting the certificates?...."

Supported solution would require you to create a domain (also in AWS) and put both servers within this domain. What your client has is just not supported and don't expect it to work at all. 

Not only that, but also NPrinting service account need to be a domain user belonging to the same domain as both servers - which is another requirement and in your case will not be met... In my opinion it is waste of time trying to get unsupported configuration working. I have been there, I have done that and .... I know it is waste of time as you will run into so many other problems later that will just pile up. 

Creating domain obviously should be thought about before everything was installed.. In this case you can play with IPs etc... but at the end it is still not supported. You will have issues like: reports running ok one day, and not running another day, You will not be able to configure OnDemand nor use API properly... you may have issues with connections.. list can go long...

Obviously there is nothing stopping you from trying to run unsupported configuration, but then dont expect to have documentation on that, right? My answer seem to be little off the topic, but I hope you understand that this is not how NPrinting works, hence no point talking about ip addresses used as certificates host names... also remember that when exporting certificates you are actually putting NPrinitng host name as FQDN....https://help.qlik.com/en-US/nprinting/November2020/Content/NPrinting/DeployingQVNprinting/NPrinting-...

My advice is: 

• get all requirements from https://help.qlik.com and present it to your client. I can see you are also a partner so if you have no experience in setting up AWS environment for QS and NPrinitng then contact your Qlik account manager and they will help you with this.

The above will save you a lot of time and trouble in the future as supporting unsupported configuration is not really possible - you have no Qlik support then and you are on your own...

cheers Lech, When applicable please mark the correct/appropriate replies as "solution" (you can mark up to 3 "solutions". Please LIKE threads if the provided solution is helpful to the problem.
Anonymous
Not applicable
Author

Hi Lech,

I know the requirements, but this customer had Qlik Sense first, which I understand does not need to have a domain. They are recently migrating your NPrinting server to AWS. The customer is already aware that they must create a domain and they going to do that soon.
My question is about how the certificates that are exported from Qlik Sense works. Why is the FQDN used when exporting certificates? and Why is the short name used when installing the Engine?

Thanks in advance.

Lech_Miszkiewicz
Partner Ambassador/MVP
Partner Ambassador/MVP

That I am not sure of and it is not really documented anywhere..

This is only guess but I think it may be Qlik Sense requirement for communication/authentication to have FQDN (just like you need certificates when opening hub in browser to avoid cert errors...) For the engine - I only guess it is internal to NPrinting, hence not required.

Ruggero_Piccoli
Support
Support

Hi,

I think that this detail is not documented. In any case it is mandatory to fill the documented requirements because other configurations could not work. As general rule we document all and only the supported configurations. Other, not documented, configurations could work but we do not support them.

Best Regards,

Ruggero

Best Regards,
Ruggero
---------------------------------------------
When applicable please mark the appropriate replies as CORRECT. This will help community members and Qlik Employees know which discussions have already been addressed and have a possible known solution. Please mark threads with a LIKE if the provided solution is helpful to the problem, but does not necessarily solve the indicated problem. You can mark multiple threads with LIKEs if you feel additional info is useful to others.
Anonymous
Not applicable
Author

Hi,

My question is about how the certificates that are exported from Qlik Sense works. Why is the FQDN used when exporting certificates? and Why is the short name used when installing the Engine?

This is what I need to do in a default configuration.

The problem with the domains will be remedy soon.

Regards,

Luis Andrade

Ruggero_Piccoli
Support
Support

Hi,

It is a Qlik Sense requirement. I asked why, if I will found an answer I will add it here.

Best Regards,

Ruggero

Best Regards,
Ruggero
---------------------------------------------
When applicable please mark the appropriate replies as CORRECT. This will help community members and Qlik Employees know which discussions have already been addressed and have a possible known solution. Please mark threads with a LIKE if the provided solution is helpful to the problem, but does not necessarily solve the indicated problem. You can mark multiple threads with LIKEs if you feel additional info is useful to others.