Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
sikander02
Contributor III
Contributor III

NPrinting Clustering for November 2019 version

Hi,

I need some recommendations regarding my installation of NPrinting November 2019 version.  I  had two servers to use for NPrinting SQA 1 and SQA 2. So on SQA 1  Server , Designer , Engine and Qlikview Desktop was installed, and  on  SQA 2   Server, Designer and Engine ( I didnt install the Qlikview Desktop) was installed. I just want to know if this is ideal  type of  setting . In the future I want to see multiple task running in NPritning ,  not ques one after the other but running at the same time . Please comment if this installation sounds good. 

Thanks,

Sikander

Labels (2)
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Ruggero_Piccoli
Support
Support

Hi,

As suggested by @Lech_Miszkiewicz , please start by reading the official help site.  You have to install a single Server, an Engine on the same computer as the Server and the second Engin (only the Engine) in the second computer. You must connect the Engines to the Server as described in the help site.

If you need to connect to QlikView documents (local or on QlikView server) you must install also a QlikView Desktop on each Engine and activate it with a license (Personal Edition is not supported).

Qlik NPrinting Designer need to be installed in the computers you will use to develop report templates. In general you will not use the Server as developing computer, but it is your choice. 

You cannot connect two or more Qlik NPrinting Servers in order to create a cluster. 

Instead if you want to create a development Qlik NPrinting installation and a production one you need to install two complete server. In this case each server will have an Engine.

All details are available on the official help site.

Best Regards,

Ruggero

Best Regards,
Ruggero
---------------------------------------------
When applicable please mark the appropriate replies as CORRECT. This will help community members and Qlik Employees know which discussions have already been addressed and have a possible known solution. Please mark threads with a LIKE if the provided solution is helpful to the problem, but does not necessarily solve the indicated problem. You can mark multiple threads with LIKEs if you feel additional info is useful to others.

View solution in original post

5 Replies
Lech_Miszkiewicz
Partner Ambassador/MVP
Partner Ambassador/MVP

Hi, 

No, this installation is not good at all. To be frank it will not even work!

describing NPrinitng infrastructure on community is probably not a good idea since we have very well written documentation. Have you read it? 

single engine deployment:

https://help.qlik.com/en-US/nprinting/April2020/Content/NPrinting/DeployingQVNprinting/Single-engine...

multiengine deployment - which i assume is what you are trying to do as you used word "clastering":

https://help.qlik.com/en-US/nprinting/April2020/Content/NPrinting/DeployingQVNprinting/Multi-engine-...

in short: clastering NPrinitng means we install

• 1 NPrinitng server
  • many NPrinitng engines (one of engines can be installed on the same box as NP server)
  • if QlikView is source of data on each engine there needs to be QlikView desktop installed
  • NPrinitng designer should be installed on Developers Pcs or on machines they will do developments from.

Since you installed 2 servers it simply means that they are 2 standalone (not claster!!!) installations and each of them requires individual license

For multi engine deployment you need multi-enigne license!

thats it!

cheers 

cheers Lech, When applicable please mark the correct/appropriate replies as "solution" (you can mark up to 3 "solutions". Please LIKE threads if the provided solution is helpful to the problem.
sikander02
Contributor III
Contributor III
Author

Hi ,

Thank for replying, it is working we have tested few reports. We have license which allow 2 engines. For now we are doing our development on SQA 1 Server which has NPrinting Server , Designer and Engine installed. SQA 2 has the Server, Designer and engine installed, my  license activation page shows I have 2/2 engines,  I don't think I have 2 stand alone servers . So according to your message I am only missing Qlikview desktop on SQA 2 where our second engine is installed then we can see the better performance  ?

Thanks,

Sikander

Ruggero_Piccoli
Support
Support

Hi,

As suggested by @Lech_Miszkiewicz , please start by reading the official help site.  You have to install a single Server, an Engine on the same computer as the Server and the second Engin (only the Engine) in the second computer. You must connect the Engines to the Server as described in the help site.

If you need to connect to QlikView documents (local or on QlikView server) you must install also a QlikView Desktop on each Engine and activate it with a license (Personal Edition is not supported).

Qlik NPrinting Designer need to be installed in the computers you will use to develop report templates. In general you will not use the Server as developing computer, but it is your choice. 

You cannot connect two or more Qlik NPrinting Servers in order to create a cluster. 

Instead if you want to create a development Qlik NPrinting installation and a production one you need to install two complete server. In this case each server will have an Engine.

All details are available on the official help site.

Best Regards,

Ruggero

Best Regards,
Ruggero
---------------------------------------------
When applicable please mark the appropriate replies as CORRECT. This will help community members and Qlik Employees know which discussions have already been addressed and have a possible known solution. Please mark threads with a LIKE if the provided solution is helpful to the problem, but does not necessarily solve the indicated problem. You can mark multiple threads with LIKEs if you feel additional info is useful to others.
Lech_Miszkiewicz
Partner Ambassador/MVP
Partner Ambassador/MVP

yes, you are actually right - in theory your current setup can work and is functioning meaning that you may be running reports using it. The biggest floor in it is that you actually installed 2 servers, which is equivalent to 2 repositories where one of them is completely redundant! 

• Is such setup following any recommendations - no,
  • should you change it to the recommended settings - yes, asap!

If I were you I would once more go through documentation, put up a plan how my NPrinting environment needs to look like and do it all over again from scratch just to have environments which do meet all best practices. @Ruggero_Piccoli comment describes it very well!

At the end It is up to you.

Cheers

cheers Lech, When applicable please mark the correct/appropriate replies as "solution" (you can mark up to 3 "solutions". Please LIKE threads if the provided solution is helpful to the problem.
sikander02
Contributor III
Contributor III
Author

Thank you , we did this installation on the our test servers to check the performance, we re-installed it according to the doc, it works fine now.

Thanks,

Sikander