Defect acknowledgement with Nprinting Engine May 2022 SR2, please READ HERE
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Not applicable

NPrinting Designer stalling on Excel Template

Hi all,

I'm running NPrinting 17.2 (Though the problem was there in the previous version). When I create an Excel report and select Edit Template the NPrinting Designer splash screen shows, then disappears and nothing else happens (The Designer interface does not appear). The Designer application is running (I can see it in the task manager) and it has started an instance of MS Excel (2013). If I end the Excel process the Designer interface appears, however, I now get RPC errors as the Excel instance is gone. It's worth mentioning that all other template types work without a problem. Other clients using the same server work just fine. I've tried the following:

• Refreshing NPrinting Designer install & updating both the server version and Designer version.
  • Setting Designer to open using administrative permissions.
  • Refreshing my MS Office installation etc.

All to no avail. If anyone has an easy fix I might be missing I would be extremely grateful.

2 Solutions

Accepted Solutions
Not applicable
Author

So it seems that the issue relates to screen scaling. Many thanks to South Africa Qlik Master Reseller's support team for the fix. They gave the following options which solved the issue (specifically option 3 in my case):

1. Set the "Change the size of text, apps and other items" property equal to 100% in the main display.
  2. If you have 2 monitors set the main display that has the property equal to 100%.
  3.   Enable the "Disable display scaling on high DPI settings" property, that you can find in the properties of the NPrinting.exe application (C:\Program Files (x86)\NPrinting\Client), in the “Compatibility” tab. This option renders the Designer layout quite bad

View solution in original post

samuli_attido
Partner - Contributor II
Partner - Contributor II

At last a solution! The 3rd point worked for me as well.

Some other post suggested changing Display settings / Scaling / to = 100%. This is alone did fix the problem after logging out and back in to widows. However I've tested that it is not necessary to have 100% display scaling after the fix in the 3rd point.

Also noteworthy that in a remote desktop server environment display scaling is not possible to adjust so the 3rd point is the solution there.

View solution in original post

13 Replies
teempi
Partner - Creator II
Partner - Creator II

Hey Guy,

I've had a lot of issues with version 17.2. Not quite what you're experiencing but I'd try to update to version 17.2.1 if it's not too much of a hassle. It seems to have a lot of bug fixes and solved basically all my issues.

-Teemu

Not applicable
Author

So it seems that the issue relates to screen scaling. Many thanks to South Africa Qlik Master Reseller's support team for the fix. They gave the following options which solved the issue (specifically option 3 in my case):

1. Set the "Change the size of text, apps and other items" property equal to 100% in the main display.
  2. If you have 2 monitors set the main display that has the property equal to 100%.
  3.   Enable the "Disable display scaling on high DPI settings" property, that you can find in the properties of the NPrinting.exe application (C:\Program Files (x86)\NPrinting\Client), in the “Compatibility” tab. This option renders the Designer layout quite bad
Lech_Miszkiewicz
Partner Ambassador/MVP
Partner Ambassador/MVP

I confirm that option 3 fixed an issue which was driving me "nuts"! every time i used nPrinitng on my Dell XPS with ridiculous high resolution 3200x1800 pixels.

Thanks mate - you are a pure champ

Lech

cheers Lech, When applicable please mark the correct/appropriate replies as "solution" (you can mark up to 3 "solutions". Please LIKE threads if the provided solution is helpful to the problem.
catalystmichael
Partner - Contributor III
Partner - Contributor III

Option 3 has been a life saver!  Thanks!

ggijben
Partner - Creator II
Partner - Creator II

Guy, thank you so much for this!

Vasiliy_Beshentsev
Creator III
Creator III

So my version is NPrinting November and i haven't this folder C:\Program Files (x86)\NPrinting\Client and can't find NPrinting.exe. So what i need to do with my version now?

ggijben
Partner - Creator II
Partner - Creator II

Vasiliy, please try it for NPrintingDesigner.exe which you can find here: C:\Program Files (x86)\NPrinting\Designer

Vasiliy_Beshentsev
Creator III
Creator III

Well, ok. Thanks. But that helpless i guess. And i really don't understand why we do this for designer? Well it works long time when i design report, testing, etc. But then i run report with task on web console. And report generating on nprinting server, i think, without designer at all. And it takes much time anyway...

Maybe i wrong...

Lech_Miszkiewicz
Partner Ambassador/MVP
Partner Ambassador/MVP

Hi Vasiliy

i think you did not understood the issue of this topic. If you are not using laptop with resolution lik 3200x1800 DPI you probably did not even experienced this problem.

Issue related to this topic has nothing to do with web console and report generation. It only relates to Designer client for NPrinitng 17 not working properly on high resolution screens!

So if you are looking for performance boost of your report generation process this is not a topic you should be looking at

cheers

Lech

cheers Lech, When applicable please mark the correct/appropriate replies as "solution" (you can mark up to 3 "solutions". Please LIKE threads if the provided solution is helpful to the problem.