Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Devansh123
Partner - Contributor II
Partner - Contributor II

NPrinting-Report Publishing consuming too much time

Hi Everyone,

Can anyone suggest any proper approach to reduce the Reports generation timings ? Below are the details might require:-

No. of Reports: 3800 reports(avg)-Cyclic Reports

Task Type: Daily-once a day 

Hardware Config:

16 Cores CPU (Intel Xeon Gold 6238 CPU @ 2.1 GHz),  96 GB RAM

Product:

QlikSense Server Nov 2019

NPrinting Nov 2019, Single NPrinting Engine

Please Note: Due to some limitations, all products above are installed on the same server.

Any help over here would be highly appreciable. Thank You!!

Labels (2)
6 Replies
Lech_Miszkiewicz
Partner Ambassador/MVP
Partner Ambassador/MVP

First of all - you are running unsupported configuration - there is no point discussing it until you actually have supported environment (separate servers).

Second of all - performance depends on Qlik Sense app design, used expressions, data model, application size, approach used when designing NPrinting report, objects used (data or image), number of recipients, recipient filters number of cycles/depth of cycles used etc... It is just too much to talk about and it is hard to start without having a full picturee

There is too many variables and your question is not really community question - it requires more of a consulting approach with access to report templates, access to Qlik Sense app etc...

Based on what you wrote there is no point asking Qlik support for guidance as they will tell you the same thing - that you need to have supported environment before making any other step.

Sorry - but without having above mentioned information I think we will not be able to go far.

cheers Lech, When applicable please mark the correct/appropriate replies as "solution" (you can mark up to 3 "solutions". Please LIKE threads if the provided solution is helpful to the problem.
Devansh123
Partner - Contributor II
Partner - Contributor II
Author

Hi Lech,

Thanks for the quick revert. I know the environment setup is not ideal but would provide you with some application level details for below requirement if you could assist on the same:-

"Second of all - performance depends on Qlik Sense app design, used expressions, data model, application size, approach used when designing NPrinting report, objects used (data or image), number of recipients, recipient filters number of cycles/depth of cycles used etc... It is just too much to talk about and it is hard to start without having a full picturee"

1) Simple 1 Table Report

2) No front-end expressions are used for any columns(13 columns) at application level. 

3) Data Model is simple containing  -> 1 Fact table and 1 Dimensional table

4) Application size: 13 to 15 MB

4) No image been used in report design. 

5) All reports get published in one specific folder on the same server.

6) 2 Dimensional Cyclic Report been created

7) No Filters applied.

😎 Taking around 4 hours for completion(avg 3800 reports)

Hope I provided you required details. Thank You.

Lech_Miszkiewicz
Partner Ambassador/MVP
Partner Ambassador/MVP

Ok i see...

looks like 3s seconds per report roughly...

now,

• have you observed cpu and ram consumption during report generation process? Is server working hard during this process?
  • If there are free resources you may want to split your app (Maybe into2,3,4... data chunks) by introducing dimension which you can then filter your publish task on. The purpose of it would be to allow for multiple tasks to run in parallel (and i cannot tell if that will be quicker, but it is worth trying
  • i would also try to bring in that dimension table into a fact table if possible (unless it creates many to many relationship and it would create duplicates)
  • i would also try to merge fields you use for cycle into single concatenated field to reduce depth of levels/cycles to minimum

you can try above for testing. Since it is not changing your template it should be easy to test. 

if i come up with some other ideas i will let you know. 

by the way-when you say you dont have front end expressions... did you mean that you built ui table using only dimensions?

cheers Lech, When applicable please mark the correct/appropriate replies as "solution" (you can mark up to 3 "solutions". Please LIKE threads if the provided solution is helpful to the problem.
woutermak
Partner - Creator III
Partner - Creator III

Do you use a lot of levels? Levels will cost a lot of performance.

Regards,
Wouter

robert_mika
Master III
Master III

Is this time generating+publish(sending)?

maybe an option is to send to the hub, not to email address?

Ruggero_Piccoli
Support
Support

Hi,

As @Lech_Miszkiewicz aòready told installing Qlik Sense and Qlik NPrinting on the same computer is not supported. This configuration must not be used in production (and in my opinion also as proof of concept or in other testing projects). 

The reason way it is unsupported is that one of the two server will use more and more hardware resources so the other one will not have enough to work correctly.  

So before proceeding to deeper investigation and performance tuning you must move to a supported configuration as documented in the help site.

I strongly suggest also to upgrade to latest version (June 2020).

Best Regards,

Ruggero

Best Regards,
Ruggero
---------------------------------------------
When applicable please mark the appropriate replies as CORRECT. This will help community members and Qlik Employees know which discussions have already been addressed and have a possible known solution. Please mark threads with a LIKE if the provided solution is helpful to the problem, but does not necessarily solve the indicated problem. You can mark multiple threads with LIKEs if you feel additional info is useful to others.