Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Carl_Hunter
Partner Ambassador
Partner Ambassador

NPrinting - Send filtered report via email to multiple users

Hi All

I have created a PixelPerfect report in NPrinting (release November 2017) which gets data from a Qlik Sense app.

This contains Sales figures for each user of an Application.

I need to send this report, once per month, to each User via email, as a PDF attachment, but only showing the data for each user.

During development, I set up a filter against the Report, set to one User, which works fine and produces one PDF, tailored to this user. I have been able to enable Report Cycling, and generate a report for each user, and stored in a File Share, so one PDF for each user.

I need to repeat this, but instead of putting the PDF out to the file share, attach and send as an email.

I've looked through the online help and post on the forums, and I'm a bit confused to how to do this?

I think, I need to...

1) create NPrinting users for each person who will be emailed

2) create a filter for every user, set to the users name from the Qlik Sense app

3) set this Filter against the user

4) create and run the publish task

This should then apply each users filter to the report, and send them their customized PDF? - IS THIS CORRECT?

I have ~150 users to do this for, so I think I can import all of the above, but, before preparing the import spreadsheet, I need to be sure this is the correct process.

Can anyone please assist?

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Ruggero_Piccoli
Support
Support

Yes, you need to create 150 users each one with its filters. So 150 filters if each user needs a different filter or less in case some filters are common to more then one users.

Then you need to insert all users into the publishing task.

You can import users and create filters by using an Excel file. In the importing file you can define group of users so you can add the groups to the task to speed up the process.

Best Regards,

Ruggero

---------------------------------------------

When applicable please mark the appropriate replies as CORRECT. This will help community members and Qlik Employees know which discussions have already been addressed and have a possible known solution. Please mark threads as HELPFUL if the provided solution is helpful to the problem, but does not necessarily solve the indicated problem. You can mark multiple threads as HELPFUL if you feel additional info is useful to others.

Best Regards,
Ruggero
When applicable please mark the appropriate replies as CORRECT. This will help community members and Qlik Employees know which discussions have already been addressed and have a possible known solution. Please mark threads with a LIKE if the provided solution is helpful to the problem, but does not necessarily solve the indicated problem. You can mark multiple threads with LIKEs if you feel additional info is useful to others.

View solution in original post

11 Replies
Carl_Hunter
Partner Ambassador
Partner Ambassador
Author

Just to follow this up, I have tested the above, via the following steps

1. Create a new filter with against the UserName from the App
  2. Assigned this Filter to my user within NPrinting
  3. Created a published task and included my user only

I was successfully sent a PDF with the user referenced in the Filter

This seems like a very admin heavy way of doing it, if I need to replicate and maintain for 150 ish users.

I thought there would be a way of the Filter comparing the username or email address of the NPrinting user against the username/email from the Qlik Sense App?

Any help greatly appreciated - this is a puzzle!

Carl_Hunter
Partner Ambassador
Partner Ambassador
Author

Can anyone assist with this please?

mtogprrpc

Ruggero_Piccoli
Support
Support

Hi,

1. Read the getting started tutorial https://help.qlik.com/en-US/nprinting/February2018/Content/Introduction/Get-started.htm
  2. Create at least a connection and generate its cache correctly https://help.qlik.com/en-US/nprinting/February2018/Content/GettingStarted/HowCreateConnections/Creat...
  3. Create filters https://help.qlik.com/en-US/nprinting/February2018/Content/ReportsDevelopment/Static-dynamic-filters...
  4. Create the Qlik NPrinting users https://help.qlik.com/en-US/nprinting/February2018/Content/Recipients&Users/Create-users-filters-gro...
  5. Associate filters to users
  6. Create at least one PixelPerfect report template https://help.qlik.com/en-US/nprinting/February2018/Content/PixelPerfectReports/Intro-PixelPerfect-Re...
  7. Create at least a publishing task https://help.qlik.com/en-US/nprinting/February2018/Content/DistributionSchedulesAutomation/Distribut...
  8. Add the report to the task
  9. Add the users to the task
  10. Set the destinations
  11. Create at least a trigger
  12. If you want you can run the task manually to check the result
  13. Use tha task executions page to check that everything is fine https://help.qlik.com/en-US/nprinting/February2018/Content/AdministeringQVNprinting/MonitorKillTasks...

Best Regards,

Ruggero

When applicable please mark the appropriate replies as CORRECT. This will help community members and Qlik Employees know which discussions have already been addressed and have a possible known solution. Please mark threads as HELPFUL if the provided solution is helpful to the problem, but does not necessarily solve the indicated problem. You can mark multiple threads as HELPFUL if you feel additional info is useful to others.

Best Regards,
Ruggero
When applicable please mark the appropriate replies as CORRECT. This will help community members and Qlik Employees know which discussions have already been addressed and have a possible known solution. Please mark threads with a LIKE if the provided solution is helpful to the problem, but does not necessarily solve the indicated problem. You can mark multiple threads with LIKEs if you feel additional info is useful to others.
Carl_Hunter
Partner Ambassador
Partner Ambassador
Author

Hi Ruggero,

Thanks for the info.

Yes, I have already created a PixelPerfect report, and tested a filter against it, which worked correctly.

What I am unsure of, is, I have 150 users. They all require the PixelPerfect report customising for them i.e. their sales data. Will I need to create 150 filters, one for each user, then assign each filter to that NPrinting user?

i.e. Sales application username = chunter

Create filter > sales_username = chunter

Add this filter to carl.hunter@companyname.com user in NPrinting

x150?

Ruggero_Piccoli
Support
Support

Yes, you need to create 150 users each one with its filters. So 150 filters if each user needs a different filter or less in case some filters are common to more then one users.

Then you need to insert all users into the publishing task.

You can import users and create filters by using an Excel file. In the importing file you can define group of users so you can add the groups to the task to speed up the process.

Best Regards,

Ruggero

Best Regards,
Ruggero
Carl_Hunter
Partner Ambassador
Partner Ambassador
Author

Hi Ruggero, thanks for confirming.

The documentation isn't 100% clear on this, hence my posting this question. Maybe there should be a specific tutorial for this, or if there is, feel free to point me in its direction! 

Thanks for your help - will get started creating the filters

Michael_Tarallo
Employee
Employee

Hi Carl - just saw the tag - I assume you are squared away - just wanted to make sure.

Regards,
Mike Tarallo
Qlik
Carl_Hunter
Partner Ambassador
Partner Ambassador
Author

Yep, all good Mr mto !

Sahal
Creator II
Creator II

I just came across yout topic and i have the same issue. Did it get solved for you or are you still manually creating 150 + filters for all users?

if this is the case then I won´t use Nprinting for this but rather other tools.