cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
amweiner
Partner - Contributor III
Partner - Contributor III

NPrinting Server Connection Stuck On "Generating"

I am having a problem with the On Demand printing feature in NPrinting 17.2.

I upgraded to Qlikview 11.20 SR 15 and NPrint 17.2. I also installed the On Demand feature. Everything seems to have installed correctly (no errors on installation). I ensured that the Nprint service account is assigned to the appropriate groups on the server (Qlikview Administrators and Qlikview Management API). I also set the On Demand trusted server setting.

For setting up the connection, I am following the on demand configuration instructions by setting the connection as a server connection (as opposed to a local connection). After creating the connection, it is stuck in the "Generating" status and never finishes. I am able to generate cache using local connections on the same documents (although somewhat slower to generate than in 17.1).

I did try to create an on demand report using an existing local connection, but the on demand button doesn't surface on AccessPoint.

Questions: To use the On Demand feature, must I use a server connection to the qvw? And if that is the case, what could be causing the cache to never finish generating?

15 Replies
luizcdepaula
Creator III
Creator III

Just FYI.

When stopping the services, the NPrinting Scheduler service has to be the first one to be started, however, if you don't start the other two services right away, Messaging service and Engine service, the Scheduler will stop, and will not fix the issue.

The process definitely works, just keep in mind that when restarting the services, start one after the other quickly, as soon as it says Running.

Thanks,

LD

kevinpintokpa
Creator II
Creator II

Hi Gianluca, gpr

I have created this batch file to mirror your suggested order for NPrinting service shutdown and startup.  Can you please look at it and offer any feedback?

net stop "Qlik NPrinting Engine"

net stop "Qlik NPrinting Scheduler"

net stop "QlikNPrintingMessagingService"

net stop "Qlik NPrinting Web Engine"

net stop "QlikNPrintingRepoService"

echo Waiting for 30 seconds

timeout /t 30

net start "Qlik NPrinting Scheduler"

net start "QlikNPrintingMessagingService"

net start "QlikNPrintingRepoService"

net start "Qlik NPrinting Engine"

net start "Qlik NPrinting Web Engine"

kevinpintokpa
Creator II
Creator II

Bah, for some reason, I cannot edit my own post.  I tweaked the order a little and here it is:

timeout /t 30

This seems to work without any error or warning messages.

Gianluca_Perin
Employee
Employee

Hi Kevin,

the first part is fine.

For the second one I would say:

net start "QlikNPrintingRepoService" (Database)

net start "QlikNPrintingMessagingService" (Queuing system that carries messages from scheduler to engine)

Best

kevinpintokpa
Creator II
Creator II

Great.  I tried out the changes and they seem to work fine.

For those interested, place the following lines into a .cmd or .bat file:

timeout /t 30

Lech_Miszkiewicz
Partner Ambassador/MVP
Partner Ambassador/MVP

First thing is:

OnDemand functionality is supported only with server connection!

note from help documentation:

You must have connections to your QlikView Server.

QlikView Server and QlikView Cluster connections are supported with On-Demand. Local connections are unsupported for On-Demand. See Creating connections .

https://help.qlik.com/en-US/nprinting/June2017/Content/On-Demand/Install-Components.htm

To create server (qvp) connection you must ensure that NPrinting service account user is:

• local administrator on QlikView server
  • QlikView administrator on QlikView server
  • Is a dedicated NPrinting account and it is not used by any other service

I have gone step by step with everything here:

How to connect Qlik N printing 17.4 to Qlik View server

now regarding to your problem.

As you are on older NPrinting version i would suggest to upgrade to nPrinting June 2017. In your current setup you may have stale generate metadata task which is never ending.

If you do not want to upgrade, delete this stale connection, restart NPrinting server and start over using all steps provided in link.

cheers

Lech

---------------------------------------------

When applicable please mark the appropriate replies as CORRECT. This will help community members and Qlik Employees know which discussions have already been addressed and have a possible known solution. Please mark threads as HELPFUL if the provided solution is helpful to the problem, but does not necessarily solve the indicated problem. You can mark multiple threads as HELPFUL if you feel additional info is useful to others.

cheers Lech, When applicable please mark the correct/appropriate replies as "solution" (you can mark up to 3 "solutions". Please LIKE threads if the provided solution is helpful to the problem.