Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Flosom
Partner - Contributor III

NPrinting best practice

Hi,

I am in the process of creating NPrinting Word reports to replace manually created reports.

Currently, I create variables in Qliksense application for each value that needs to be shown in the NPrint report, and then pull it to the NPrint report. I wanted to know if there is any other best practice for this, like loading the formulas in the script itself etc. All my variables use Set Analysis expressions.

regards,

Florence

Labels (2)
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Lech_Miszkiewicz
Partner Ambassador/MVP
Partner Ambassador/MVP

Ok, in that case using variables would be the best I guess.

I sometimes I mix variables with formulas (if I dont want them to expand in Qlik Sense with = sign ). I create NPrinting formula and call variable in it. I still retain benefit of managing variable definition in spreadsheet but dont have to worry about expansion of it which forces me to use "=' sign in definition. Also that method allows me to use parameterized variables!

cheers and good luck

cheers Lech, When applicable please mark the correct/appropriate replies as "solution" (you can mark up to 3 "solutions". Please LIKE threads if the provided solution is helpful to the problem.

View solution in original post

3 Replies
Lech_Miszkiewicz
Partner Ambassador/MVP
Partner Ambassador/MVP

Hi, There is not enough information in your description. 

We would need to understand how those values are shown in your report, do they need to be formatted, are they numbers with Money, % or other mask formats or are they text or dates, if dates do you need to have many different formats like DD/MM/YYYY for some and maybe MMM-YY for others?. Are they part of descriptive text...like say: 

Current sales in region <vCountryRegion> for period of <vMonthYear> is <vSales>

Or could they be part of the Qlik Sense object like table or chart

I guess there is no sweet answer to it without knowing exactly what you are building.

If your report contains mainly text and is more "narrative" then I guess using variables is probably best option. Obviously I would then load variables from excel spreadsheet to my Qlik sense app using well known methods like this: https://community.qlik.com/t5/QlikView-App-Dev/Set-Analysis-in-Expression-Chart/m-p/187444#89749

One thing to remember is that variables do not expand so they will need to be prefixed with "=" sign to allow for expansion or used in NPrinitng formulas (which would require double work 😕 )!!! 

https://help.qlik.com/en-US/nprinting/May2021/Content/NPrinting/Troubleshooting/Variables-dont-expan...

cheers Lech, When applicable please mark the correct/appropriate replies as "solution" (you can mark up to 3 "solutions". Please LIKE threads if the provided solution is helpful to the problem.
Flosom
Author

Hi,

Yes, Most of it is descriptive text, and the variables are dragged and dropped in between the sentences at appropriate positions. 

There are a few charts which i create in Qliksense and bring in to NPrint as Images. 

Lech_Miszkiewicz
Partner Ambassador/MVP
Partner Ambassador/MVP

Ok, in that case using variables would be the best I guess.

I sometimes I mix variables with formulas (if I dont want them to expand in Qlik Sense with = sign ). I create NPrinting formula and call variable in it. I still retain benefit of managing variable definition in spreadsheet but dont have to worry about expansion of it which forces me to use "=' sign in definition. Also that method allows me to use parameterized variables!

cheers and good luck