cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
william_fu
Creator II
Creator II

NPrinting - first impressions?

So I've just started testing NPrinting and it's been a little underwhelming so far.

As a start, I tried to build reports with simple requirements: I just wanted to drag and drop objects from existing dashboard to a blank canvas that would then be exported to a pdf, but I came across some barriers.

For example, it's a pain to identify objects based on their ID alone. When inserting them into the report, I have no idea what they will look like unless I hit preview, which is also a painfully slow process. Finally, in most cases, the sizing of the objects on the report is also hard to get right (charts often get cut off).

Is there a more intuitive way of working with the designer? More content on the subject (besides the Qlik manual) would be appreciated.

Thoughts?

13 Replies
Ruggero_Piccoli
Support
Support

Hi,

I'm sorry for this, but it is an error in the February 2019 help site. I ask immediately to correct to the documentation team.  

QlikEntity reports, at the moment February 2019, do not supports Qlik Sense charts. This feature could be added in the future but I don't know an estimated delivery version.

Best Regards,

Ruggero

Best Regards,
Ruggero
---------------------------------------------
When applicable please mark the appropriate replies as CORRECT. This will help community members and Qlik Employees know which discussions have already been addressed and have a possible known solution. Please mark threads with a LIKE if the provided solution is helpful to the problem, but does not necessarily solve the indicated problem. You can mark multiple threads with LIKEs if you feel additional info is useful to others.
william_fu
Creator II
Creator II
Author

Hi Lech,

Thanks for the response and the developer menu tip for grabbing object ids, that's indeed very useful!

Unfortunately I haven't put in the time to become a pro at NPrinting yet - some of it is frustration/inexperience like you said and some of it is due to me being the only Qlik stack person in the company until recently.

We don't have many NPrinting solutions in production, but we do see it as a tool with huge potential. For example, the NPrinting On Demand extension could be a game changer for us, since many users like to have their customized report summarized in a .pdf to share (and the native "Export sheet to pdf" feature is terrible). In theory, our use case for NPrinting is quite simple, basically compile the main existing charts/visualizations in our Sense dashboards and fit them neatly in a .pdf page.

Your point is valid, and I do understand that each tool has its learning curve. With Qlik Sense, I felt it was much easier to get to a working, good looking dashboard, but to get a similar result in NPrinting there's a lot of tweaking that it almost feels like double the work, even though I have the chart/visualization ready in Sense. It's not necessarily that it's hard, it's just time consuming and a little annoying. Below are some examples:

For example, I feel like it's hard to get a feel for what fits and what doesn't in a page. This might be a stupid question, but when does the page break in the PixelPerfect template? Is there any indicator I'm missing?

For charts, sometimes I have to make the object way bigger than I'd like to because the legend doesn't show up.

When I try to use a table object as a image, the # of rows in the table gets reduced when I reduce its size horizontally, when there is clearly room for more rows. I tried my hand at creating tables with Detail Reports, but I also found them complicated to build and customize.

Also the fact that there's no support for themes (the PixelPerfect reports go back to the default color palette which sucks in my opinion).

Since you seem to be very experienced with NPrinting I would love to hear your thoughts (and more "hacks" like the developer menu). Hell, maybe some of my concerns are even already addressed in more recent versions.

Thanks again (sorry for the long post)!

william_fu
Creator II
Creator II
Author

Thanks Ruggero, let's hope it comes soon.

If it does come, do you think creating an entity report with entire Sense sheets will be possible, or just individual charts?

Ruggero_Piccoli
Support
Support

Hi,

Sheets are supported for QlikEntity reports from QlikView but I don't know right now if they will be supported also for Qlik Sense. 

Best Regards,

Ruggero

Best Regards,
Ruggero
---------------------------------------------
When applicable please mark the appropriate replies as CORRECT. This will help community members and Qlik Employees know which discussions have already been addressed and have a possible known solution. Please mark threads with a LIKE if the provided solution is helpful to the problem, but does not necessarily solve the indicated problem. You can mark multiple threads with LIKEs if you feel additional info is useful to others.