Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
chris1987
Creator
Creator

NPrinting - large amount of information

Hi,

We've started to use NPrinting on a standalone server and FTP across a copy of our QVW file. The QVW file contains alot of information (3 years sales data, order data, customer information and delivery information) but is summarized in graphs which I need to print to a PDF.

I'm adding my objects to NPrinting using the design editor, but I can't preview them as it takes too long to load. I've saved the job and sent it to the NPrinting que on the server but as I don't have admin rights I can't see if the task is running (it's been over an hour and I still don't see any output in the newstand - I'm confident it is configured correctly).

I wondered if there is a way to just output the objects from my QVW to another QVW without loading all of the information behind them. This way it would speed the the process? ....although the object is probably generated dynamically using the data so this may not work.

Has anyone had any issues like this before or got any tips?

Thanks

Chris

4 Replies
Ruggero_Piccoli
Support
Support

Hi,

Please always specify what version of Qlik NPrinting are you using. I suppose you are using a 17+.

So my suggestions are:

- use a connection to a QlikView server instead of a local (if you are using a local connection)

- create a QVW only for the reporting system. Load in it only the data that are necessary for reporting and only the charts you need for reporting. Delete the other charts. Save the .qvw with all charts minimized and try to avoid formulas in charts. This usually speed up the report generation process.

- apply a report filter only for the development time. You will need to wait for a smaller dataset so the generation of the preview will be faster.

Best Regards,

Ruggero

---------------------------------------------

When applicable please mark the appropriate replies as CORRECT https://community.qlik.com/docs/DOC-14806. This will help community members and Qlik Employees know which discussions have already been addressed and have a possible known solution. Please mark threads as HELPFUL if the provided solution is helpful to the problem, but does not necessarily solve the indicated problem. You can mark multiple threads as HELPFUL if you feel additional info is useful to others.

Best Regards,
Ruggero
---------------------------------------------
When applicable please mark the appropriate replies as CORRECT. This will help community members and Qlik Employees know which discussions have already been addressed and have a possible known solution. Please mark threads with a LIKE if the provided solution is helpful to the problem, but does not necessarily solve the indicated problem. You can mark multiple threads with LIKEs if you feel additional info is useful to others.
Lech_Miszkiewicz
Partner Ambassador/MVP
Partner Ambassador/MVP

I would also add - since you are creating reports you should be an admin to see the task generation process or be able to kill task if you made a mistake.

People building reports should be really QLikDevelopers who built Qlik apps. They need to understnd Qlik Datamodel and have full access to it.

Other note is i ALWAYS build separate app only for NPrinting reporting and only with required data - so you are on the right track.

regards

Lech

cheers Lech, When applicable please mark the correct/appropriate replies as "solution" (you can mark up to 3 "solutions". Please LIKE threads if the provided solution is helpful to the problem.
chris1987
Creator
Creator
Author

Thanks for your replies. I am using NPrinting 17 and I'll apply these suggestion but I have to admit NPrinting is not what I expected. I thought that it would be a case of reloading my application and then when this was complete simple output my report to the newstand. I know you can do this via API but again this takes extra effort to write. It would have been great if it was like the default editor where you could drag and drop an object and it displayed instantly. For now I'm struggling with generating a report as most of my graphs and tables contain complex functions using sum() aggr() etc. and there's nothing I can really do to get around this for now.

Yeah I'm going to try and get admin access back ASAP. I need to see what is happening in the task que as I set a job running yesterday and it still isn't in the newstand - I have no idea if it has ran / failed / running etc.

Thanks again

Chris

Lech_Miszkiewicz
Partner Ambassador/MVP
Partner Ambassador/MVP

Hi Chris,

Many people underestimate required knowledge to properly build NPrinting solutions. I see this, by observing shortcuts people are trying to take when building their report and then reporting here that "something" is not working. To prepare well designed NPrinting report you should be experienced QlikView or Qlik Sense Developer knowing best practices how to optimize data model to its best as well as expressions ... and should have gone through NPrintign training.

see this topic here where i explain just absolute minimum: QVW size limitations with NPrinting 17 .  Have you done all this in your app?

There is too many important factors you need to be aware of when building NPrinting report which usualy link back to source document, that you cannot afford guessing or assuming that "something" will work in particular way.

You also need to understand what will happen (how many rows of data you will produce) if you drag-n-drop object on NPrinitng template.

Before doing anything in NPrinting i would suggest to go through ALL videos and documents from:

• Help.qlik.com
  • Value Added Products Resource Library
  • I lso suggest to go through NPrinting trainign with experienced partner or Qlik. Keep in mind that some partners might not have enough expertiese in NPrinting as it is fast developed product

I am not sure what you meant by "I know you can do this via API but again this takes extra effort to write" as i think you have mistaken something here.

Good luck with it.

Cheers

Lech

cheers Lech, When applicable please mark the correct/appropriate replies as "solution" (you can mark up to 3 "solutions". Please LIKE threads if the provided solution is helpful to the problem.