Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous
Not applicable

NPrinting on Demand Report runs into error in case of QV-condition

Hi All,

we are using June 2017 version.

In the following example we can create a report on base of a QV pivot table via on demand, this works fine :

After pressing the button the condition on the formula fires:

The resulting column disappears how it should do. Now we create a new report via on demand, the report generation runs into an error:

The preview function in NPrinting Designer runs into a cryptic error message:

The main problem is not the error case. This could be solved with an additional column which in any case is on.

The error analyzing is very time consuming !!

Which tools etc. can we use to analyze such errors? Is there e.g. a debugging mode, special logfiles?

Any hints are helpful.

Thanks in advance.

Regards

Michael

5 Replies
Lech_Miszkiewicz
Partner Ambassador/MVP
Partner Ambassador/MVP

Hi,

Remember that NPrinting is a static reporting tool which means that you build template and NPrinting is producing report based on the template (say your report has column A,B,C,D)

What you are doing? You are taking of from your static template one of the columns (For example column D), so NPrinting is throwing an error as it is looking for it.

To summerize - what you are doing will not work in NPrinting!

As a alternative you can do few things:

1. Use one column which will be always ON (there will not be a condition on "Conditional" for expression) and tailor your condition in Label and Expression itself
  2. Create another table in QlikView which will have alternate expression (also without conditions) and create another NPrinting report for it

Now down to your question about error analyzing?

Well - If you build reports accordiung to all NPrinting rules and limitation you will not have errors and you will not have to analyse them. There is not a tool or library of errora vailable unfortunately as mostly errors are specific to environment where your NPrinting is running. There is help document which handles some of the generic errors and expalins them: https://help.qlik.com/en-US/nprinting/June2017/Content/Troubleshooting/Troubleshooting.htm

NPrinting is not a tool which you can learn on your own mistakes (unless you have lots of time and passion). You really need to know what you are doing or get somebody who knows to do it for you!  To building NPrinting reports you need to have very good knowledge of QlikVIew development and NPrinting development as very often you have to tailor your Qlik application to achieve expected effect in NPrinting.

Your example is a great example where you were not aware that conditional hide/show for measure is not supported option in NPrinting.

cheers

Lech

---------------------------------------------

When applicable please mark the appropriate replies as CORRECT. This will help community members and Qlik Employees know which discussions have already been addressed and have a possible known solution. Please mark threads as HELPFUL if the provided solution is helpful to the problem, but does not necessarily solve the indicated problem. You can mark multiple threads as HELPFUL if you feel additional info is useful to others.

cheers Lech, When applicable please mark the correct/appropriate replies as "solution" (you can mark up to 3 "solutions". Please LIKE threads if the provided solution is helpful to the problem.
Anonymous
Not applicable
Author

Hi Lech,

thanks for comment.

Where can I find which Qlikview features are supported by NPrinting June 2017 version and which Qlikview features are not supported?

Are there any documentation available?

The NPrinting helpfile is not very useful in this case.

Regards

Michael

Lech_Miszkiewicz
Partner Ambassador/MVP
Partner Ambassador/MVP

you can go through ALL topics here to start with:

QlikView NPrinting 16 Tutorials by Subject

regarding NP17 i learned everything from official help document. It just takes time to go through everything.

regards

Lech

cheers Lech, When applicable please mark the correct/appropriate replies as "solution" (you can mark up to 3 "solutions". Please LIKE threads if the provided solution is helpful to the problem.
Anonymous
Not applicable
Author

The Tutorials are excellent (NP16 is a little bit different ....but ok).  They deal with NP with special examples.

Where can I find which QV features are supported or not?

Regards

Michael

Lech_Miszkiewicz
Partner Ambassador/MVP
Partner Ambassador/MVP

I am not aware of any source of such information. There are some top level information in help document.

Unsupported QlikView documents

Before you create a connection to a QlikView document, ensure that the QlikView document does not use any of the following:

• alternate states
  • sheet and document triggers
  • Always one selected list box property

Qlik NPrinting cannot modify or remove these options. As a result, Qlik NPrinting may not have access to the enitre dataset of the connected QlikView document during the cache generation process, and while generating reports.QlikView documents that use these features, are not supported by Qlik NPrinting.If you want use QlikView documents with these unsupported features, do the following:

What i can list is that following are not supported:

• triggers - they may work (i used them in NP16 but i do not recommend them
  • actions - as above
  • hide/show (conditional) of object , dimension and measure - that is understandable once you think of it
  • alternate states - not visible
  • horizontal in Straight table (it will not apply horizontal view)
  • dimension limits (i found it unpredictable)

Rest is just experience with report templates in general (not only Qlik) but for example crystal report and knowledge from training.

I always say that NPrinitng requires a lot more knowledge than QlikView or Qlik Sense as you need to understand source and reporting tool at the same time.

cheers

Lech