Defect acknowledgement with Nprinting Engine May 2022 SR2, please READ HERE
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
fgm001qlik
Contributor III
Contributor III

NPrinting "Upgrade" from Nov. 2017 (17.6) to June 2018 (18.19)

I followed the steps from the Help / Support site (Upgrade NPrinting) where I created a backup then ran the executable for the June 2018 Server First then the Engine but it wasn't an Upgrade and was more of  new install as this is where the steps take you.  I ran the restore of the backup and still no luck, so is there a trick to bringing in all your settings, tasks, etc. you had set up or do you have to rebuild from scratch going from Nov. 2017 to June 2018?

8 Replies
Lech_Miszkiewicz
Partner Ambassador/MVP
Partner Ambassador/MVP

you have answers to your question in help document which says that you can only restore repository in the version you used to back it up.

So if your intend was to upgrade - you need to install June version on top of existing NPrinting version with repository in it as repository needs also to be upgraded to serve new features and be compatible with new version.

regards

Lech

https://help.qlik.com/en-US/nprinting/June2018/Content/DeployingQVNprinting/Backup-restore.htm

Backup and restore Qlik NPrinting

To ensure that your Qlik NPrinting deployment can be recovered in the event of a system failure or when a node in your deployment needs to be moved or replaced, we recommend that you create regular backups. These backups are used to restore your Qlik NPrinting deployment when needed.

When you create a backup of your Qlik NPrinting deployment, the key component that you are backing up is the Qlik NPrinting repository. For more information, see Architecture.

A Qlik NPrinting backup can only be restored to an installation of the exact same version of Qlik NPrinting because Qlik NPrinting repository structures may differ between versions of Qlik NPrinting.

cheers Lech, When applicable please mark the correct/appropriate replies as "solution" (you can mark up to 3 "solutions". Please LIKE threads if the provided solution is helpful to the problem.
fgm001qlik
Contributor III
Contributor III
Author

Hi Lech - thanks for the reply.  I only backed up the repository of the existing version, I did run the June 2018 installer on the same server where the Nov. 2017 version existed following the instructions, so I'm not sure where I went wrong - am I deep in it now or can I re-install Nov. 2017 restore the repository and try again?

fgm001qlik
Contributor III
Contributor III
Author

Lech - reviewing the links you sent and then the steps they  take you through, these are the links and steps I followed.  When trying to log in all our Active Directory config is gone and it's prompting me for the license and control ID again which I thought I captured but it's not accepting it.  Is this normal for the upgrade steps and if I get the license and control ID and everything will be there?

fgm001qlik
Contributor III
Contributor III
Author

Lech - reviewing the links you sent and then the steps they  take you through, these are the links and steps I followed.  When trying to log in all our Active Directory config is gone and it's prompting me for the license and control ID again which I thought I captured but it's not accepting it.  Is this normal for the upgrade steps and if I get the license and control ID and everything will be there?

Lech_Miszkiewicz
Partner Ambassador/MVP
Partner Ambassador/MVP

Hi,

Ideally it would go like this:

• you have a version November 2017
    • you back it up (this is just in case you need to revert back to Nov 2017)
    • you install July 2018 on top of it
      • this updates your version as well as repository
  • you end up with version July 2017 and everything works as it was

Issues:

In your case i would downgrade back to the version you had when you backed it up and restore repo from your backup. Then i would try to re-install again July on top of it.

I am not an expert in this area, but i tend to use always the same user to install NPrinitng and I always use my NPrinitng service account do this. The reason i am mentioning about is is because of repository containign default admin users in it.

In terms of license and control number, I did not have to put it through when i was upgrading instances with clients. It was retained!

regards

Lech

cheers Lech, When applicable please mark the correct/appropriate replies as "solution" (you can mark up to 3 "solutions". Please LIKE threads if the provided solution is helpful to the problem.
fgm001qlik
Contributor III
Contributor III
Author

That exactly was the plan I followed but it didn't happen - I have a ticket open with Support so I'll let you know what they come back with and how I make out - thanks for the feedback.  I feel better knowing I followed the script someone else did but where it went wrong, hoping to figure that out.

fgm001qlik
Contributor III
Contributor III
Author

Lech - to give you an update, I worked with Qlik support today and we had to uninstall June 2018 and reinstall Nov. 2017 then run the restore and got everything back.  Turns out there is a bug in the install they've been seeing when going from Nov. 2017 to June 2018, so I gave them our DB backup they are going to do some testing with to see if they can upgrade it.  If they can't work through it, we will probably need to do a step upgrade to Feb. 2018 then June 2018.

Lech_Miszkiewicz
Partner Ambassador/MVP
Partner Ambassador/MVP

‌i see

thanks for sharing!