Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
fredericvillemi
Creator III
Creator III

Nprinting 16 or 17 for Qlikview

Hello,

We have just bought NPrinting and I begin having installation problems with 17.3. I remember the times when installation a Qlik product was easy, it's not the case anymore !

Last year, one guy in Qlik had adviced me to stay with v16 because the v17 was not ready.

I'm afraid I will lose time trying to install v17.3, making ticket because the installation doesn't work correctly, and I would like to know if people are still using v16 ?

If I'm only using Qlikview to make reports, is it a good idea to stay in v16 while waiting to have a good v17 or is the v17 far better than v16 and I should go to it because everything missing has been added and it works great ?   Honest advices please

27 Replies
Anonymous
Not applicable

I tried 17.2.1 open-minded, never tested 17.3.

The installation itself was problem-free.

Besides a few bugs I found within 1 testing week,

there are some NP16 features missing, that  I use extensively:

- trigger reload for local qvw file

- clone elements in web interface for testing (filter, task, report, ...)

- using QV variables within mail text and subject line

Another important fact:

The main difference between 16 and 17 is that in 17 everything will be stored within one repository.

So you are not able the make a copy of an nsq file like you did in 16 and manipulate it for testing reasons.

... just my personal thoughts

fredericvillemi
Creator III
Creator III
Author

Ok, thanks for your very nice answer

I think v16 will be better for me too .. I don't need Qlik Sense reporting and I think it will be simpler without those repositories ..

Anonymous
Not applicable

QV 12 doesn't support NP16. So sooner or later, you will have to use NP17.

And then you'll have the problem, that you can't just import your NP16 Data into NP17

(besides the reports...)

I think that I am not the only one facing that problem...

I get a headache thinking about that day .

Anonymous
Not applicable

I would recommend installing v17 on its own server without any other Qlik server products and just Qlikview desktop installed.

I would also be aware that in the near future Qlik will end support for v16 so you will have to go through the pain of upgrading everything.

For a new install I personally wouldn't build an estate of reports in a product that is being sunsetted.

Just my opinion though.

fredericvillemi
Creator III
Creator III
Author

I'm still on QV 11.2 .. Tried to switch to QV 12 once when the left join in the script was broken !    . Had to reinstall everything

I'm really afraid too to switch to the new generation of Qlik tools. Installation problems, one repository, what made Qlikview better and easier to admin than any other pro tool seems to be gone.

I understand it's better to start with the newest version but I'm afraid to lose time.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi Gareth,

I absolutely agree. Yes, it basically makes no sense using NP16 anymore.

But I think that it is very dificult to place, that a newer version of a product supports less features then its predecessor.

At the moment it is not possible for me using NP17 due to the lack of missing features.

I was not able to build the same reports in NP17 , regardless of how much time I invested.

... just my personal thoughts

fredericvillemi
Creator III
Creator III
Author

Yes, you're right but I don't have a specific server to do that for the moment. I wanted to install it on the same server my test version of Qlikview.

And it's better to start with the newest version, too bad it seems to lack features of the v16 ...

fredericvillemi
Creator III
Creator III
Author

Robin,

it's exactly the same between Qlikview and Qlik Sense.

Qlik had first released Qlik Sense as an upgrade to Qlikview (Qlikview Next). But when a new tool lacks great features, customers cannot forget everything and switch to the new tool .. It became Qlik Sense and they said they would remove Qlikview after a few years. I don't think the same policy exists now as Qlik Sense doesn't fit most users needs

Anonymous
Not applicable

Totally agree Robin as you have invested time and effort into v16  with features v17 doesn't support.

Most if not all the missing features are on Qlik's roadmap and I'm sure they will not discontinue v16 support until the new product is at least equal in its offering.

However for a new install I would certainly go with v17, you eliminate the possibility of creating new reports with missing features and will continue on a product path that Qlik are investing in.

It's also easier to explain to end users that the product 'doesn't do that' rather than 'it did do it but we can't anymore'.