cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Rujena
Partner - Contributor II
Partner - Contributor II

Nprinting 17 server connection to a qvw is very slow

I have an issue with one report. When I run verification of the connection, everything seems fine, then the cache is generated extremely slowly (more than 5 hours).  The biggest issue comes when I try to generate a report - I receive a "fail on all engines" notice, with reason "the engine was unable to open the document". This is very strange, as the account which runs both the engine and the server can freely access the qvw both on the Access Point, and using Qlik View Desktop.  The application is rather large, however 5 hours seem too much for generating cache.

So two questions:

1) Why would it take so long to generate cache from qvp? Is this waiting time normal for larger applications?

2) Why would the connection pass verification, but the report would fail to generate?

Any ideas would be much appreciated!

Labels (1)
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Lech_Miszkiewicz
Partner Ambassador/MVP
Partner Ambassador/MVP

Now - you are not specifying version you are using - this can be very important! Make sure you use fairly recent version ( i even suggest the latest). I assume you are using QVP connection to QlikView server? right? I also assume you are running supported configuration where NPrinintg is installed on dedicated server different than QlikView server, and meets all requirements which are listed on https://help.qlik.com

Some questions:

• How big is this app?
  • Are there any hidden sheets with objects which cannot be calculated or could lead to total memory consuption?
  • If your qvw is big - make sure you follow all the steps from below link - they are really important!
  • Have you checked what happens on the QlikView server when you run metada generate process?
  • Have you inspect session "0" on NPrinting server when running metadata generation process? You should be able to "preview" what NPrinitng does in this time! (google how to use session "0" in windows)

Answering 1st question:

https://community.qlik.com/t5/Qlik-NPrinting-Discussions/QVW-size-limitations-with-NPrinting-17/m-p/...

Answering 2nd question:

Verification step checks the basics like if the versions of server and QV desktop are the same, if accounts used are valid and have right privilages if license is leased etc... it does not check if your hardware is able to fully open all sheets in QV document and if your server is powerfull enough to handle all data.

regards

Lech

cheers Lech, When applicable please mark the correct/appropriate replies as "solution" (you can mark up to 3 "solutions". Please LIKE threads if the provided solution is helpful to the problem.

View solution in original post

3 Replies
Lech_Miszkiewicz
Partner Ambassador/MVP
Partner Ambassador/MVP

Now - you are not specifying version you are using - this can be very important! Make sure you use fairly recent version ( i even suggest the latest). I assume you are using QVP connection to QlikView server? right? I also assume you are running supported configuration where NPrinintg is installed on dedicated server different than QlikView server, and meets all requirements which are listed on https://help.qlik.com

Some questions:

• How big is this app?
  • Are there any hidden sheets with objects which cannot be calculated or could lead to total memory consuption?
  • If your qvw is big - make sure you follow all the steps from below link - they are really important!
  • Have you checked what happens on the QlikView server when you run metada generate process?
  • Have you inspect session "0" on NPrinting server when running metadata generation process? You should be able to "preview" what NPrinitng does in this time! (google how to use session "0" in windows)

Answering 1st question:

https://community.qlik.com/t5/Qlik-NPrinting-Discussions/QVW-size-limitations-with-NPrinting-17/m-p/...

Answering 2nd question:

Verification step checks the basics like if the versions of server and QV desktop are the same, if accounts used are valid and have right privilages if license is leased etc... it does not check if your hardware is able to fully open all sheets in QV document and if your server is powerfull enough to handle all data.

regards

Lech

cheers Lech, When applicable please mark the correct/appropriate replies as "solution" (you can mark up to 3 "solutions". Please LIKE threads if the provided solution is helpful to the problem.
Rujena
Partner - Contributor II
Partner - Contributor II
Author

Thank you for your answer!

Now the app is pretty big - around 400 mb.

It also turned out that it was incompatibile with the NPrinting17 - had always one selected value, document triggers etc. I followed your suggestions - created a copy of the app for NPrinting, where I removed all unnecessary features for the report (extra sheets, variables, incompatibilities). Unfortunately even after doing so the server was still unable to connect to the application.

I didn't manage to start the session 0 (as from what I understand it would disconnect the VPN on the Server version I am working on), but after a restart of the NPrinting Server, everything was ok. It seems that the first time I tried to connect to the incompatible version, that messed up the entire system, as it was not possible to connect to any other document after this problematic one. 

Thanks for the useful information!

Lech_Miszkiewicz
Partner Ambassador/MVP
Partner Ambassador/MVP

I am glad i could help. Since you run unsupported document i am not surprised there was a problem with it! You really need to learn how to use NPrinitng by going through documentation in details. There is a lot of requirements and even if one of them is not met whole thing will not work. So make sure you are accross everything what is on help page!

regardsing session 0 - it will nto brake VPN or anything. It will just make visible what NPrinitng does with QlikView desktop: here is a link:

https://kb.firedaemon.com/support/solutions/articles/4000106823-manually-enabling-interactive-servic...

regards

Lech