cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous
Not applicable

Nprinting April 2018 performance issues and Task execution page unavailable

Hi All,

We have recently installed April 2018 version of Printing. And currently running with 2 major issues.

1. Performance issue:

The generation of cache, starting of designer is taking a very long time. Close to 20 min+. We have Nprinting 16 and April 2018 using the same service account. Can this be  a possible cause of performance issues.

2. Task execution page is only available to an Adminstrator:

We wanted to on board self sufficient development teams to use Nprinting independently. I created security roles for separate team, but I realized that Task execution page is only available to an user if he/she is an admin. So essentially all they can do is run the task and would have no idea if the task was success or failure. Looking if anyone has on boarded separate teams and faced the issue of not having the tasks execution page available.

Any insights would be really appreciated

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Lech_Miszkiewicz
Partner Ambassador/MVP
Partner Ambassador/MVP

It is very simple - Qlik is in Memory technology which makes it very fast and good. But to have good performing environment you need to design your  Qlik &NPrinting applications in the way so it does not uses up all resources. This can be only done if you are aware of what you are doing in Qlik and especially in NPrinitng.

NPrinitng is like "another" user using Qlik View or Qlik Sense, but it would be like very active user who will put a lot of stress on Qlik - and i mean A LOT!!!!.

Now if you let people design NPrinting reports and those people do not know how to build optimized expressions in Qlik and how to build optimized apps for NPrinintg they can put so much stress on Qlik, that it will run out of the resources and will impact your envrionment.

In My opinion NPrinitng development requires more knowledge than Qlik development and this is because whoever is going to build NPrinitng templates need to know how is the data model in Qlik build, how are all objects build, check if they are optimized, check they calculation time and considering all that and also for example: understand how to use in in NPrinitng and how use of Level or Page feature in NPrinting will impact environment.

as an example - look at my comments under this topic - these are just very high level basics:

https://community.qlik.com/thread/260840?q=qvw%20size

regards

Lech

cheers Lech, When applicable please mark the correct/appropriate replies as "solution" (you can mark up to 3 "solutions". Please LIKE threads if the provided solution is helpful to the problem.

View solution in original post

5 Replies
Stephen_Jasionowski

NPrinting 16 and April 2018 cannot be installed on the same machine.

Lech_Miszkiewicz
Partner Ambassador/MVP
Partner Ambassador/MVP

First topic - I was just about to say what Stephen said regarding setup - but i believe it is actualy using only the same account ( but on differnet machines) - Am i correct Suman?

Second topic - I believe you are bording development team who is highly skilled in QlikView/Qlik Sense development and has extensive knowledge of NPrinitng - right? This is the absolute minimum in my opinion to avoid disaster! Those people have to be very good at both, have access to Qlik Data models and Qlik servers to apply changes required for NPrinitng to work smooth as well as design apps in Qlik so they can perform better in NPrinting!

If the answer is YES to my question - you can be assured that those people can be also NPrinting admins and they will not break anything + they will have an access to task execution tab.

If the answer is NO then they should not start development of the NPrinting reports as they can badly impact whole Qlik environment.

This is my take on this!

cheers

Lech

cheers Lech, When applicable please mark the correct/appropriate replies as "solution" (you can mark up to 3 "solutions". Please LIKE threads if the provided solution is helpful to the problem.
Anonymous
Not applicable
Author

Thanks Lech for the response.:

First topic - I was just about to say what Stephen said regarding setup - but i believe it is actualy using only the same account ( but on differnet machines) - Am i correct Suman?

SS: Yes Lech, I meant that. We have same service account but being used in different versions of Qlik NPrinting (16 & 17). Do you think this can relate to performance/configuration issues?

2. With regards to point 2, I am afraid they are npt experts. Having said that, would like to understand what you meant by badly impacting whole Qlik Environment. It would be great if you can help me here in understanding the consequences.

Thanks again!

Lech_Miszkiewicz
Partner Ambassador/MVP
Partner Ambassador/MVP

It is very simple - Qlik is in Memory technology which makes it very fast and good. But to have good performing environment you need to design your  Qlik &NPrinting applications in the way so it does not uses up all resources. This can be only done if you are aware of what you are doing in Qlik and especially in NPrinitng.

NPrinitng is like "another" user using Qlik View or Qlik Sense, but it would be like very active user who will put a lot of stress on Qlik - and i mean A LOT!!!!.

Now if you let people design NPrinting reports and those people do not know how to build optimized expressions in Qlik and how to build optimized apps for NPrinintg they can put so much stress on Qlik, that it will run out of the resources and will impact your envrionment.

In My opinion NPrinitng development requires more knowledge than Qlik development and this is because whoever is going to build NPrinitng templates need to know how is the data model in Qlik build, how are all objects build, check if they are optimized, check they calculation time and considering all that and also for example: understand how to use in in NPrinitng and how use of Level or Page feature in NPrinting will impact environment.

as an example - look at my comments under this topic - these are just very high level basics:

https://community.qlik.com/thread/260840?q=qvw%20size

regards

Lech

Anonymous
Not applicable
Author

Thanks Lech. Really appreciate your response.