cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous
Not applicable

Nprinting Dynamic Naming of folders

Hi All,

I am currently working on Nprinting April 2018 and I have report which has Cycle feature enabled with two fields. When I run the task it produces a total of 9 reports based on the combination of two fields used in cycle feature.

Is there any way that I can have those 9 reports distributed into different folders? I tried to used variables but they are not working dynamically rather they are using the static value from QlikView documents. The variable value is not changing when the report is cycling through the fields.

Is there anyway I can achieve this? Thanks in Advance!!!

Please let me know if you need anymore information.

Jyothi Kantipudi

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Ruggero_Piccoli
Support
Support

Hi,

Maybe you could evaluated to:

- cycle for one field

- create a user for each value of the second field. So a user for UK, one for USA and one for Canada

- create a filter by country and associate it to each user

- set a different user folder for each user

- set the user folder in the destination folder configuration

- add the 3 users to a single task

You should have 3 folders, one for each user, with 3 reports stored in every folder.

I understand, have dynamic folder in the output path of cycles will be useful....

Best Regards,

Ruggero

---------------------------------------------

When applicable please mark the appropriate replies as CORRECT https://community.qlik.com/docs/DOC-14806. This will help community members and Qlik Employees know which discussions have already been addressed and have a possible known solution. Please mark threads as HELPFUL if the provided solution is helpful to the problem, but does not necessarily solve the indicated problem. You can mark multiple threads as HELPFUL if you feel additional info is useful to others.

Best Regards,
Ruggero
When applicable please mark the appropriate replies as CORRECT. This will help community members and Qlik Employees know which discussions have already been addressed and have a possible known solution. Please mark threads with a LIKE if the provided solution is helpful to the problem, but does not necessarily solve the indicated problem. You can mark multiple threads with LIKEs if you feel additional info is useful to others.

View solution in original post

8 Replies
Ruggero_Piccoli
Support
Support

Hi,

Cycles in reports change only the report file names. They cannot change the destination folder.

To create different destination folders you can set the user name, folder or subfolder in the folder destination configuration.

Best Regards,

Ruggero

When applicable please mark the appropriate replies as CORRECT https://community.qlik.com/docs/DOC-14806. This will help community members and Qlik Employees know which discussions have already been addressed and have a possible known solution. Please mark threads as HELPFUL if the provided solution is helpful to the problem, but does not necessarily solve the indicated problem. You can mark multiple threads as HELPFUL if you feel additional info is useful to others.

Best Regards,
Ruggero
When applicable please mark the appropriate replies as CORRECT. This will help community members and Qlik Employees know which discussions have already been addressed and have a possible known solution. Please mark threads with a LIKE if the provided solution is helpful to the problem, but does not necessarily solve the indicated problem. You can mark multiple threads with LIKEs if you feel additional info is useful to others.
Anonymous
Not applicable
Author

Hi Ruggero,

I agree with you but is there any way to distribute those 9 folders to 3 different locations by using a variable in the destination path created? The only way I found is I have to create 3 different tasks and 3 different destinations to distribute them into respective folders.

I tried to use a variable by just creating one task and one path where the value of the variable in the path changes every time a report is generated and it is not working in that way. Is there any possibility for me to distribute the reports in 3 different using a variable instead of creating 3 different paths and assigning them to 3 different tasks?

An Example would if one my field in cycle feature is contry and it has a values UK, USA, CANADA so is there any way I can send those reports to three different folders with those country names.

Thanks

Jyothi Kantipudi

Ruggero_Piccoli
Support
Support

Hi,

Maybe you could evaluated to:

- cycle for one field

- create a user for each value of the second field. So a user for UK, one for USA and one for Canada

- create a filter by country and associate it to each user

- set a different user folder for each user

- set the user folder in the destination folder configuration

- add the 3 users to a single task

You should have 3 folders, one for each user, with 3 reports stored in every folder.

I understand, have dynamic folder in the output path of cycles will be useful....

Best Regards,

Ruggero

Best Regards,
Ruggero
Anonymous
Not applicable
Author

Hi Ruggero Piccoli,

Thanks for your suggestions. This might solve my problem partially but I have other scenarios where I have to 3 different fields in Cycle while generating report. That creation of three different sub folders.

Is Qlik planning to develop something to avoid this issue which really helps lot of users like me? I wish Qlik had thought of these kind of scenarios and incorporating them while developing latest versions of Nprinting.

Jyothi Kantipudi.

Ruggero_Piccoli
Support
Support

Hi,

This is a new feature already requested. I any case I will write to the person who collect the new feature requests with the link to this conversation.

Please remember to mark the correct answer.

Best Regards,

Ruggero

Best Regards,
Ruggero
Anonymous
Not applicable
Author

Hi Ruggero Piccoli,

I really appreciate your help. I hope Qlik develops this feature in Nprinting as early as possible.

Thanks

Jyothi Kantipudi

carlcimino
Creator II
Creator II

Has this feature been made available?  I'm using Nprinting June 2019 and it doesn't seem to work.  The solution provided while it may work is just not feasible when using multiple cycle fields and recipients.

Ruggero_Piccoli
Support
Support

Hi,

1. please avoid to comment so old conversations, instead, open a new question with the details of your question. Thanks. 
  2. June 2019 is an old version right now out of support, so I suggest you to plan an upgrade
  3. latest version May 2021 let's you to use Qlik Variables while defining folders as destination https://help.qlik.com/en-US/nprinting/May2021/Content/NPrinting/AdministeringQVNprinting/Folder-dest... So you can combine dynamic naming in cycles to define the output file name and Qlik variables in folder to dynamically create output folder names. To use this feature I suggest to update to May 2021 SR3 because it solved an issue that appeared when using Qlik variables in folder names.

Best Regards,

Ruggero

Best Regards,
Ruggero