Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
poooja
Creator
Creator

Nprinting Task setup

Hi Qlikies,

I am looking for suggestion here.

I have a requirement to run the NPrinting powerpoint report to countries. Basically we have 40 countries in our country field. When the requirement was for 4 countries, we setup 4 NPrinting task to run 4 country report. Now the requirement extended to 40 countries. In this case, do we need to setup 40 country task where each task for one report? If anybody has any better solution please let me know.

Thanks in advance!

Pooja

Labels (2)
4 Solutions

Accepted Solutions
Lech_Miszkiewicz
Partner Ambassador/MVP
Partner Ambassador/MVP

WELL -  This seem to be then completely different requirement, right? I thought your initial requirement was to produce in single task separate reports for (lets say 40) countries. If that was the requirement then I would create 40 dummy users, each of them would have one country assigned as a filter, I would output reports to folder and would have all reports produced to single folder. Job done.

Now when you are saying that you are actually producing those reports to certain recipients NewsStand destination the only options you have are 1&2 (3rd option will not work as it requires dummy users).

I would push for option 2 with cycle report function

cheers Lech, When applicable please mark the correct/appropriate replies as "solution" (you can mark up to 3 "solutions". Please LIKE threads if the provided solution is helpful to the problem.

View solution in original post

Lech_Miszkiewicz
Partner Ambassador/MVP
Partner Ambassador/MVP

I thought of option 1 because  the NewsStand user should receive only their specific country report.

- If user needs to get report only for 1 country, then you can still apply just recipients filters and that would be enough. If 1 user will need to receive report for 2 countries, then first you need to create a filter to include those 2 countries and assign it to user and then you can use cycle functionality to produce separate files (bundled in 1 zip) and it will be send to user/.

I assume option 2 will work if there is no user level restriction for their reports. Is my thoughts correct?

It will still work with filters, but it will respect filters (as mentioned above) 

So I really don't understand what is the requirement. Is it that each recipient will need to get report only for one country? Or is it a mix that some recipients will get reports for 1 country and some need to get reports for multiple countries.

It is important to define that as the solution is different for each of those options...

cheers Lech, When applicable please mark the correct/appropriate replies as "solution" (you can mark up to 3 "solutions". Please LIKE threads if the provided solution is helpful to the problem.

poooja
Creator
Creator
Author

Hi Leach,

Thank you so much for detailed explanation. To  clarify your Questions!

So I really don't understand what is the requirement. Is it that each recipient will need to get report only for one country? Or is it a mix that some recipients will get reports for 1 country and some need to get reports for multiple countries.

Certain users will receive only one country and there are some users who gets the report for 2 (or) more countries.

Thanks!

Pooja.

Lech_Miszkiewicz
Partner Ambassador/MVP
Partner Ambassador/MVP

In such scenario probably the best option would be to setup 2 tasks (running 2 different reports - 1 report without cycle, and copy of the same report with cycle turned on):

1 - for users who will receive report for only 1 country. This task would run a report (without Cycle functionality) , each of the recipients would need to have recipient filter for the country applied. those users would receive report in original format (pdf, xls or whatever you have chosen)

2- for users who need to receive individual reports for more than 1 country. This task would ran report with cycle turned on. Recipients still would need a filter applied to respective countries. They would receive their reports bundled as Zip file 

In my opinion this is currently the most optimal solution.

btw...

If you understand well NPrinting API and you are willing to send individual reports as separate emails to users you may want to try build a solution based on qlik script, loading recipients, filters and triggering tasks in loop in via API, although i think it would be quite challenging. I do not have an example which I could show you. It would be fully custom solution though.  I have a library on https://nprintingadventures.com/ which could help in this exercise.

9 Replies
Lech_Miszkiewicz
Partner Ambassador/MVP
Partner Ambassador/MVP

HI,

have following options:

1. 40 different tasks
  2. Use cycle functionality, then you will get bundle of all 40 reports by country in zip file
  3. create 40 dummy users (each with one contry as recipient and use them to create reports)

cheers

Lech

poooja
Creator
Creator
Author

Hi Lech,

Thanks for quick reply. If possible could you please explain the 3rd point as i am not clear on that. Actually to give more insight on my requirement. We have set of users for all countries and they get there reports in NewsStand. considering these case can you give some ideas. 

Thanks!

Pooja

Lech_Miszkiewicz
Partner Ambassador/MVP
Partner Ambassador/MVP

WELL -  This seem to be then completely different requirement, right? I thought your initial requirement was to produce in single task separate reports for (lets say 40) countries. If that was the requirement then I would create 40 dummy users, each of them would have one country assigned as a filter, I would output reports to folder and would have all reports produced to single folder. Job done.

Now when you are saying that you are actually producing those reports to certain recipients NewsStand destination the only options you have are 1&2 (3rd option will not work as it requires dummy users).

I would push for option 2 with cycle report function

poooja
Creator
Creator
Author

Hi Leach,

Thank you again! This really helps me to think more.  I thought of option 1 because  the NewsStand user should receive only their specific country report. I assume option 2 will work if there is no user level restriction for their reports. Is my thoughts correct?.

Thank you for your help again.

Thanks!

Pooja

Lech_Miszkiewicz
Partner Ambassador/MVP
Partner Ambassador/MVP

I thought of option 1 because  the NewsStand user should receive only their specific country report.

- If user needs to get report only for 1 country, then you can still apply just recipients filters and that would be enough. If 1 user will need to receive report for 2 countries, then first you need to create a filter to include those 2 countries and assign it to user and then you can use cycle functionality to produce separate files (bundled in 1 zip) and it will be send to user/.

I assume option 2 will work if there is no user level restriction for their reports. Is my thoughts correct?

It will still work with filters, but it will respect filters (as mentioned above) 

It is important to define that as the solution is different for each of those options...

poooja
Creator
Creator
Author

Hi Leach,

Thank you so much for detailed explanation. To  clarify your Questions!

Certain users will receive only one country and there are some users who gets the report for 2 (or) more countries.

Thanks!

Pooja.

Lech_Miszkiewicz
Partner Ambassador/MVP
Partner Ambassador/MVP

In such scenario probably the best option would be to setup 2 tasks (running 2 different reports - 1 report without cycle, and copy of the same report with cycle turned on):

1 - for users who will receive report for only 1 country. This task would run a report (without Cycle functionality) , each of the recipients would need to have recipient filter for the country applied. those users would receive report in original format (pdf, xls or whatever you have chosen)

2- for users who need to receive individual reports for more than 1 country. This task would ran report with cycle turned on. Recipients still would need a filter applied to respective countries. They would receive their reports bundled as Zip file 

In my opinion this is currently the most optimal solution.

btw...

If you understand well NPrinting API and you are willing to send individual reports as separate emails to users you may want to try build a solution based on qlik script, loading recipients, filters and triggering tasks in loop in via API, although i think it would be quite challenging. I do not have an example which I could show you. It would be fully custom solution though.  I have a library on https://nprintingadventures.com/ which could help in this exercise.

poooja
Creator
Creator
Author

Hi Lech,

Thank you for giving detailed explanations for my questions. This helps me a lot.

Thanks!
Pooja

Lech_Miszkiewicz
Partner Ambassador/MVP
Partner Ambassador/MVP

My pleasure - happy to help!