cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous
Not applicable

Nprinting freezes sporadically

Hi everyone,

In my company we're using Nprinting to handle all of our Qlikview reporting, on a Windows 2012 server.

Currently we have 12 NSQ files loaded in the Nprinting server, and probably ~20 reports in those files.

Most of the reports are scheduled to run every 10-20 minutes.

Recently I've started experiencing Nprinting freezing. For no particular reason Nprinting's scheduler stops working, though the service is still alive. The log isn't helpful - no indication for errors in there.

The only thing I see that might be related is in the windows events viewer -

DirectoryServiceConnector - Search aborted: no resources

no_resource.PNG

During the times that Nprinting is ok, this problem doesn't appear.

Any idea if the things are related, and if so what can be done?

Thanks a lot,

Assaf

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Anonymous
Not applicable
Author

I found out the problem - Qlikview has that innocent looking option of "close when finished" checkbox. If you uncheck it (say for debugging purposes), nprinting will never finish the document reload == Nprinting service will seem to be running, but will actually be stuck as no other tasks will be excecuted.

This is of course a misuse of QlikView by me, but I'd like to think that Nprinting would take this not-so-far-fetched scenario into consideration.

View solution in original post

15 Replies
Anonymous
Not applicable
Author

I have noticed this happening of late as well and and planning on investigating this week.

What version of NPrinting are you using ?  I'll check what version I am using tomorrow.

avinashelite

Hi Assaf,

Please check once whether available resource are their for the NPrinting to act i.e the RAM. If its shared their may be shortage of resources.

Anonymous
Not applicable
Author

I'm using Npriniting 15.4.0.2.

Not applicable
Author

You may be aware that Nprinting uses qlikview desktop to open the documents, so if you are running Nprinting Server on Qlikview Server and reloading the nsq files there might be a possibility of shortage of resources. It may be clashing with qlikview server reload or other user activities like users opening apps through access point. Please check how if Qlikview desktop instance is running in the background.

Another thing to check is if Nprinting Service account and Qlikview Service account are the same if they are on the same machine. It is advisable to use different accounts for both services.

Anonymous
Not applicable
Author

Hi Amit, thanks for your quick response.

Why do you mean by  "Nprinting Service account"? The actual windows user account under which Nprinting is executed?

Not applicable
Author

Yes and it is recommended that you keep this account separate from Qlikview Windows Service Account.

Anonymous
Not applicable
Author

I have been getting the same sporadic "freezes" on a dedicated server with 80 GBytes RAM only running NPrinting processes using a dedicated service account.

Anonymous
Not applicable
Author

Arturo

I am using NPrinting 15.6.0.0 on Windows Server 2008 R2 Enterprise.

One thing I just noticed was that our Test NPrinting had "frozen" over Easter, and by that I mean:

• The Windows Service NPrinting Service had a status of Running
  • NPrinting reports that were scheduled to run were not being run
  • There was a qv.exe process active on the sever

On killing the qv.exe process [but not restarting the NPrinting Service] the scheduled reports started running again ok.

Have you ever noticed anything similar ?

Best Regards,     Bill

Not applicable
Author

Do you open the Qlikview Apps locally or User Open in  the server in Nprinting Designer ?