Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anilb1603
Contributor III
Contributor III

Nprinting service user account doesn't have access to remote server login

Hi Guys,

we are doing new nprinting product installation all 3 services in one server (single node deployment) to work with qlik sense only and we created a new service user account for this services but this user doesn't have access to remote login to the server. I assigned him admin rights and login as a service rights already. I have seen the documentation that to install qlik sense certificates I must login with service user account.  Is there any alternatives to install this without having service user access remote login to the server.

Thanks,

Anil

Labels (2)
8 Replies
Lech_Miszkiewicz
Partner Ambassador/MVP
Partner Ambassador/MVP

although it is not mentioned and probably not supported officially I would just try to run installer "as different user" (shift + right click) and would try to tun it as a service account. This seems to be old method of installing them.

The other thing is that the new version of NPrinting seems to have different method of installing certificates. check this:

https://help.qlik.com/en-US/nprinting/February2020/Content/NPrinting/DeployingQVNprinting/NPrinting-...

cheers Lech, When applicable please mark the correct/appropriate replies as "solution" (you can mark up to 3 "solutions". Please LIKE threads if the provided solution is helpful to the problem.
Anilb1603
Contributor III
Contributor III
Author

Thanks @Lech_Miszkiewicz ,

I am planning to install Nov 2019 version. As per company policies they don't give service accounts access to remote login. so, looking for alternatives.

Does Run as a different user work in this case?

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Anil

Lech_Miszkiewicz
Partner Ambassador/MVP
Partner Ambassador/MVP

I have already mentioned that this is not documented approach, hence in my opinion not supported but I assume it should work as essentially you are "acting" as that service account user. Just give it a try - you have nothing to loose.

cheers Lech, When applicable please mark the correct/appropriate replies as "solution" (you can mark up to 3 "solutions". Please LIKE threads if the provided solution is helpful to the problem.
Lech_Miszkiewicz
Partner Ambassador/MVP
Partner Ambassador/MVP

btw. When I mentioned "run installer" i meant QMC Certificate Installer from utilities.....

Anilb1603
Contributor III
Contributor III
Author

Hey @Lech_Miszkiewicz ,

For Nov 2019 version I can see below instructions in qlik help site for Installing the qlik sense certificates.

Do the following:

1. Receive the exported and renamed Qlik Sense certificates from your Qlik Sense system administrator.

2. Log into the Qlik NPrinting Server running the Qlik NPrinting scheduler service, as the WindowsQlik NPrinting Server services administrator.
  3. Add the certificates to C:\Program Files\NPrintingServer\Settings\SenseCertificates. Qlik NPrinting will automatically identify the correct one to be used for each connection.

This folder must not be renamed or customized.

4. Repeat this process on each Qlik NPrinting Engine running the Qlik NPrinting Engine service, using the WindowsQlik NPrinting Engine services administrator.

There was no mention of running QmcCertificatesInstaller (C:\Program Files\NPrintingServer\Tools\QmcCertificatesInstaller). Do we need to do this step or Its just fine if we place client.pfx in C:\Program Files\NPrintingServer\Settings\SenseCertificates.

Thanks,

Anil

Lech_Miszkiewicz
Partner Ambassador/MVP
Partner Ambassador/MVP

This is the other method i mentioned in my initial response. I didn't remember when it was introduced hence i mentioned "new version of NPrinitng" in my initial naswer.

So if it applies to the version you are installing you can definitiely give it a try and it should work and should not require use of QMCCErtificateInstaller tool. 

Personally I have never used this method, but I assume as long as you follow instructions for the version from https://help.qlik.com you will be good.

cheers

Lech

Anilb1603
Contributor III
Contributor III
Author

Hi @Lech_Miszkiewicz,

I just placed the certificates in the folder as mentioned above and it worked.

Now I 'm trying to install SSL certificates (from certificate authority). We have already got 3 certificate files : servercertificate, intermediate and root from CA. 

I did not use OpenSSL to create a certificate request. We have  other way of requesting certificates but not sure how we get .key file using this process. Any idea on how to get .key file?

And I got confused with the instructions in qlik helpsite mainly between managing keys and certificates and Install qlik nprinting certificates. 

https://help.qlik.com/en-US/nprinting/November2019/Content/NPrinting/DeployingQVNprinting/Managing-c...

https://help.qlik.com/en-US/nprinting/November2019/Content/NPrinting/DeployingQVNprinting/Installing...

In the first link they said to create a NPrinting.public.crt file but did not mention where to use it.

In the second link they said to place NPrinting.crt and  NPrinting.key files in C:\ProgramData\NPrinting\newsstandproxy\ and C:\ProgramData\NPrinting\webconsoleproxy\ and edit app.conf file to use the certificates placed in the same folders. Here don't we need to use intermediate or root certificates??

Please help me with the instructions to follow. 

Thanks,

Anil

Anilb1603
Contributor III
Contributor III
Author

Never mind..

I figured it out. First I installed 3 certificates and then I created the .pfx file (including private key) using export in mmc and after I just followed the steps in https://support.qlik.com/articles/000043517

Thanks,

Anil