cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
sdtfll
Contributor III
Contributor III

Nprinting takes extremely slow when edit template

I just got new task to maintain the Qlik, there is a big Nprinting tasks, involve several connections, and tens sheets in Excel template, 

it's a big problem for me, a huge nightmare for me, each time I open it and want to add just only one table to the template, mouse just hover over some cells, all template then re-calculated and run busy, I cannot even switch to another sheet, then I wait, wait, some time I wait for more then a hour, still running, then log off and restart computer(end the task, cannot lauch nprinting again). I tried lots of methods, restarted my computer tens times, currently no way to the goal.

so simple task to just add one tags into template, it's a impossible task for me in Nprinting.

I checked some articles, also got some idea, check server, log, use set analysis, etc, but this Nprinting task involve so many different connections, and so many different tables, I cannot even change some,

in Excel there is a function to stop the automatic calculating, it's easy to edit the formulars, and after edit all formulars, user manually recalculate the whole excel book, this is very OK function.

Does Nprinting have such a function?

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Lech_Miszkiewicz
Partner Ambassador/MVP
Partner Ambassador/MVP

Hi, I am sorry but I don't have a good news...

Please dont take it personally and think about my comment as about a warning to everyone who reads it. I repeated so many times that to build well designed reports you need to think about everything before you actually do it, you should be excellent Qlik Sense and/or QlikView developer and good/trained NPrinitng developer. 

Situation you are currently in is a result of someone who did not follow those "best practices", did not have proper NPrinting trainign or had probably limited knowledge about NPrinting. Whoever built it should be responsible now for optimizing it. There is nowhere too hide - the more you add to already poor design the slower and worse it will be.

There is no magic there - poor design, multiple connections etc are causing it to be slow and it will be slow until you take a step back, look at the final report, think what can be optimized, what can be put in single app so number of connections drops, think about limiting data in your sources apps so they work, load and respond faster. Think about expressions used in them.

and No - NPrinting does not have a function to change templates offline...

Without looking at your template it is hard to judge what actually is wrong with it, but I am assuming it can be linked to number of objects you are actually having in it, speed of coonection between PC you edit template from and NPrinting repository...

Sorry - there is nothing else we can do.  

cheers Lech, When applicable please mark the correct/appropriate replies as "solution" (you can mark up to 3 "solutions". Please LIKE threads if the provided solution is helpful to the problem.

View solution in original post

3 Replies
Lech_Miszkiewicz
Partner Ambassador/MVP
Partner Ambassador/MVP

Hi, I am sorry but I don't have a good news...

Please dont take it personally and think about my comment as about a warning to everyone who reads it. I repeated so many times that to build well designed reports you need to think about everything before you actually do it, you should be excellent Qlik Sense and/or QlikView developer and good/trained NPrinitng developer. 

Situation you are currently in is a result of someone who did not follow those "best practices", did not have proper NPrinting trainign or had probably limited knowledge about NPrinting. Whoever built it should be responsible now for optimizing it. There is nowhere too hide - the more you add to already poor design the slower and worse it will be.

There is no magic there - poor design, multiple connections etc are causing it to be slow and it will be slow until you take a step back, look at the final report, think what can be optimized, what can be put in single app so number of connections drops, think about limiting data in your sources apps so they work, load and respond faster. Think about expressions used in them.

and No - NPrinting does not have a function to change templates offline...

Without looking at your template it is hard to judge what actually is wrong with it, but I am assuming it can be linked to number of objects you are actually having in it, speed of coonection between PC you edit template from and NPrinting repository...

Sorry - there is nothing else we can do.  

cheers Lech, When applicable please mark the correct/appropriate replies as "solution" (you can mark up to 3 "solutions". Please LIKE threads if the provided solution is helpful to the problem.
sdtfll
Contributor III
Contributor III
Author

thanks so much, anyway I have to deal with it, spend time to analysis, to make some change, have it better .

Ruggero_Piccoli
Support
Support

Hi,

I agree with @Lech_Miszkiewicz . I would also suggest you to check the hardware resources usage during the editing because it seems that your PC or the Qlik NPrinting Server is very loaded. The Designer uses the list of entities from the caches so, if it it take a long time to be delivered, it could be that the server, where the repository is located, is busy or that you have network speed issue. Instead if you have huge list of entities we suggest to create QlikView documents or Qlik Sense apps only for reporting by keeping on them only the entities and the data you need for reporting; this will increase the editing and creation speed.

About report generation performances refer to https://help.qlik.com/en-US/nprinting/May2021/Content/NPrinting/DeployingQVNprinting/Performance.htm and they depends also on the structure of the templates. In your case it seems you have issues in editing so I suspect more it is more and heavy workload issue.

When you create a new conversation here please remember to add the label with the correct version of Qlik NPrinting you are using.

Best Regards,

Ruggero

Best Regards,
Ruggero
---------------------------------------------
When applicable please mark the appropriate replies as CORRECT. This will help community members and Qlik Employees know which discussions have already been addressed and have a possible known solution. Please mark threads with a LIKE if the provided solution is helpful to the problem, but does not necessarily solve the indicated problem. You can mark multiple threads with LIKEs if you feel additional info is useful to others.