Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
StephaneP
Contributor II
Contributor II

On Demand in Qlik Sense : dynamic name of the report from a variable input

Hi, 

I m trying to allow user to chose the name of the downloaded file report in Qlik Sense with nPrinting on-demand add-on.

I have defined a variable in my qlik sense report:

(Sorry the name and capture are in french)
Titre rapport   ='Title of my report'

In my nprinting report name definition

nprintingreport.pngIn Qlik Sense, i have defined an input variable with the variable 'Titre rapport'

qliksenseinput.png

But when i download the Excel file, the name of the file is the name defined in my variable and not the name from the input box. 

To test the input box, i have add a text in my Qlik sense report with with this definition:

=[Titre rapport]

When i change the text in the input object, my text change correctly.

qliksensetext.png

Help will be very appreciated because when users prepare a lot of reports, it's fastidious to have all the same name.

Best regards,
Stephane

Labels (2)
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Lech_Miszkiewicz
Partner Ambassador/MVP
Partner Ambassador/MVP

Hi,

Your approach from the very beginning will not work simply because user variable input is not passed through when executing on demand reports with NPrinting. What is being passed is selection state, so you may want to try building your solution using actual fields which could be then passed to variable.

I am not able to test it now but my assumption would be:

• I create island table with various names I would like users to use
  • Users select a value from that field.
  • that value can be reflected in variable using for example function "=Only(YourIslandFieldName)"
  • variable gets updated using field selection which is supported as opposed to variable input which is not

that's it

I will be able to test and confirm my answer on Friday. For now please think about it as of a guidance.

cheers Lech, When applicable please mark the correct/appropriate replies as "solution" (you can mark up to 3 "solutions". Please LIKE threads if the provided solution is helpful to the problem.

View solution in original post

3 Replies
Lech_Miszkiewicz
Partner Ambassador/MVP
Partner Ambassador/MVP

Hi,

Your approach from the very beginning will not work simply because user variable input is not passed through when executing on demand reports with NPrinting. What is being passed is selection state, so you may want to try building your solution using actual fields which could be then passed to variable.

I am not able to test it now but my assumption would be:

• I create island table with various names I would like users to use
  • Users select a value from that field.
  • that value can be reflected in variable using for example function "=Only(YourIslandFieldName)"
  • variable gets updated using field selection which is supported as opposed to variable input which is not

that's it

I will be able to test and confirm my answer on Friday. For now please think about it as of a guidance.

cheers Lech, When applicable please mark the correct/appropriate replies as "solution" (you can mark up to 3 "solutions". Please LIKE threads if the provided solution is helpful to the problem.
StephaneP
Contributor II
Contributor II
Author

Hi,

Thank you for your reply. 

My goal was for users to be able to name the report themselves. Since this does not seem possible, I adapted your idea and I created a formula
= GetFieldSelections ([Articles.Brand], '_', 10) & '_' & Date (Date # (floor (Min ({<$ (f.setPreviousYear (0))>} [Sales._DateVteSerial])), 'YYYYMMDD'), 'YYYYMMDD') & '_' & Date (Date # (floor (Max ({<$ (f.setPreviousYear (0))>} [Sales._DateVteSerial])), 'YYYYMMDD'), ' YYYYMMDD ')

I think this will help users very well.

Thanks,
Best regards,

Stephane

Lech_Miszkiewicz
Partner Ambassador/MVP
Partner Ambassador/MVP

I am glad i could help.