Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
poooja
Creator
Creator

Paging Filter

Hi,

I am using 'Page' in NPrinting power point report. I am trying to restrict the value in the field used in the page.

Ex: I have 3 slides. first 2 slide has common KPIs & Chart. From 3rd slide i am using 'page' feature based on year. Year field has data from 2005 to 2020. I need to create page for all the year except 2020.
When i try to use it in a filter it is restricting the data in the first 2 slide too. Is there a way i can use the filter in page?

Thanks,

Pooja

Labels (2)
8 Replies
Lech_Miszkiewicz
Partner Ambassador/MVP
Partner Ambassador/MVP

Just throwing an idea

How about if you use Year Filter on report so your Page will get filtered and sheet 3 will have data for 2005-2020, but then have object filters on sheets 1-2 overriding Year selection? Would that be a solution?

I know it is not ideal, but in some scenarios it may be working solution.

let me know your thoughts..

regards

Lech

cheers Lech, When applicable please mark the correct/appropriate replies as "solution" (you can mark up to 3 "solutions". Please LIKE threads if the provided solution is helpful to the problem.
poooja
Creator
Creator
Author

Hi Lech,

Thank you for the quick tip. I thought the same initially but the problem here is, in the first two slides i am already using object filters to achieve some other req. Hence we have no option to use two filters for one object, please let me know if you have any other thoughts to achieve this.

On the other note: The other case in my mind is - i have to duplicate all the objects for all slides and i have  to apply object filter individually for each year.. I know it is not feasible solution from a developer perspective. So looking for if any other better way!

Thanks!

Pooja

Lech_Miszkiewicz
Partner Ambassador/MVP
Partner Ambassador/MVP

I just have another idea, but I am not sure how it will work and if it supported. As long as this app is not used for OnDemand reporting I think it should actually work... 

How about if you create 2 separate connections and build your sheets 1&2 using 1 connection and build your 3rd sheet with page using another connection and respective filters?

cheers Lech, When applicable please mark the correct/appropriate replies as "solution" (you can mark up to 3 "solutions". Please LIKE threads if the provided solution is helpful to the problem.
Digvijay_Singh

I know I am missing something here, can you clarify why you are not using Year field as a page field for slide 3 only so that it will create separate slide for each year for slide 3 only?

Lech_Miszkiewicz
Partner Ambassador/MVP
Partner Ambassador/MVP

Hi @Digvijay_Singh 

@poooja wants to use Year PAGE  for the third slide only  and also wants to filters Year PAGE to only certain years. You cannot apply filter directly on Page object which forces you to apply filter on whole report. When this is done slide 1 and slide 2 also get filtered by Year which is causing issue

now - the thing i actually confused is the fact that we are talking about Power Point template. So since it is power point you may use table object as Page with Year as dimension and measure which may filter out years you dont want to have.

So yeah - the easiest way will be to use table as PAGE tag and use expression in this table to remove year 2020.

Digvijay_Singh

Thanks @Lech_Miszkiewicz  for clarifying it, I think I was almost thinking right, I did similar stuff by creating new field in script where certain values like here 2020 year removed, and then apply this new field to the slide 3 as a page field.

poooja
Creator
Creator
Author

Hi @Lech_Miszkiewicz ,

Thank You for your helpful suggestion as always..

As per your above suggestion 1: I cannot use 2 separate connection as we are planning to use On-Demand.

Your suggestion 2: I am using June 2020 NPrinting, but for some reason i am not able to add table in 'Page'.  It is allowing only fields. Am i missing anything here?

Thanks,

Pooja

Lech_Miszkiewicz
Partner Ambassador/MVP
Partner Ambassador/MVP

Table needs to:

• be a straight table (native) - not extension
  • have fields as dimensions. 
    • remember that = sign in front of field name changes it to expression!!!
    • should not be calculated dimension
  • should not contain conditional hide/show columns